U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-01-2008, 12:58 PM

1,715 posts, read 1,624,561 times
Hoppybunn,

What part of CT did you grow up in? Would you ever come back east?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-04-2008, 08:01 AM

1,759 posts, read 3,492,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I'd have one major reservation going forward. If you believe (as I do) that energy prices, particularly fuel and heating are going to skyrocket in the next 10 years, then New Mexico is not IMO set up very well in the long haul to withstand this.
Mike, I agree that energy prices will seriously skyrocket - we're already seeing it. This will affect the price of everything in Albuq. But I also believe Albuq's silver lining is the reduced energy needs when using green technologies like solar heat, elastomeric roof coatings, etc. Compared with the AC and natural gas/heating oil req's of the east, it's a huge plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421
When you consider how far spread out the state is, with population centers so far apart from each other, and public transportation largely lacking, there is a very real prospect that you will see a spatial contraction with regard to lifeworld, and that is something New Mexico is not nearly set up as well as say, the northeast, a good deal of the midwest, even a lot of the Pacific Northwest.
This is something that non-NM's will have a lot of trouble dealing with in the future. To a transplant, it's comforting to know that you can jump on a plane or in a car, and go visit someone. The spatial contraction you mention will be real, and for some, suffocating. If you love Albuq & NM, like I do...if you love the high desert & the comparative frontier-feel that exists here, no problem.

Tetto - I believe Albuq will continue to thrive, regardless of the water situation. The state has a very old culture & deep roots - it will not unravel in one or two generations. The most important thing is do you like NM? That question is more important than the water or energy questions. It's important that both spouses feel that way, too. There are so many that come to Albuq and just never connect; they miss the "feel" of the east or wherever it is they came from. Those people will eventually leave, although they will have had the chance to experience the uniqueness and beauty of this state.

Unread 06-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Tim Rankin,

I hear you on the energy costs and advantages in NM vs CT (Northeast), to me these costs are is a mitigating factor when considering a place to relocate. It's clear the entire country will see the energy prices continue to spike.

My wife and I are coming out for another visit in October. We're creating a comprehensive list of areas to visit, and while we're here, we'll probably interview for jobs and get a feel for the opportunities, process, people etc...

Thanks,

Tetto

Unread 06-05-2008, 05:38 AM

32,165 posts, read 24,933,482 times
"In the long run" takes on different meanings for different people. I figure I have about 15 physically and 20 mentally productive years left so a young family's "long term" is way different than mine. Looking at a grey beard every morning is a dose of sometimes unwelcome reality.

Sorry I'm a bit gloomy, like our Boston weather, this morning.

Unread 06-05-2008, 04:52 PM

Greg,

I've got gray in my goatee as well, take solace in the fact billions have been there before you... My definition of long haul is approx 30 years. I'll be 72 then, oh my god...

Tetto

Unread 06-09-2008, 02:29 PM

12,934 posts, read 22,226,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
base closings are a concern (effect on economy)
I read all the posts and i didn't see anything on this concern of yours so let me state that all 4 of our military bases (Kirtland AFB, Cannon AFB, Holloman AFB and White Sands Missle Range Army Post) are expanding under the latest BRACC implementations.

Unread 06-09-2008, 04:40 PM

294 posts, read 645,685 times
Thumbs up New Mexico- Good for the long haul? (6/3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I read all the posts and i didn't see anything on this concern of yours so let me state that all 4 of our military bases (Kirtland AFB, Cannon AFB, Holloman AFB and White Sands Missle Range Army Post) are expanding under the latest BRACC implementations.
I like that. Being a military retiree (Navy) plan to visit all of them, especially Kirtland AFB where I will become a regular shopper.

Unread 06-09-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
I like that. Being a military retiree (Navy) plan to visit all of them, especially Kirtland AFB where I will become a regular shopper.
My former neighbor at the apt where i live was retired Airforce and everyday made a trip out to Kirtland to get his beer . I'm sure you'll like it out there.

Unread 06-09-2008, 06:21 PM

294 posts, read 645,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
My former neighbor at the apt where i live was retired Airforce and everyday made a trip out to Kirtland to get his beer . I'm sure you'll like it out there.
Won't see me going out there for beer, non-drinker & non-smoker, not all of us are DRUNKS. You seem to have a different picture of military retirees than I do.

Best to you and yours,

jOE

Last edited by macsret; 06-09-2008 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: change of word

Unread 06-09-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
Won't see me going out there for beer, non-drinker & non-smoker, not all of us are DRINKERS. You seem to have a different picture of military retirees than I do.

Best to you and yours,

jOE
LOL....no i didn't mean that at all as i meant that you'll probably enjoy Kirtland as they (DOD) have really fixed up the base over the last several yrs. Anyway my former neighbor was a good guy who liked to drink his beer and enjoyed his retirement as there's nothing with that. I myself don't drink or smoke anymore since the 1980's rock concert scene i was into .

6/3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque