Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are still wrestling with trying to decide to move to NM or stay in New England, (CT). We love the desert climate and overall lower cost of living, job growth etc.... The main thrust of my question is, is there long term viability in NM? Water is a concern, base closings are a concern (effect on economy), lower wage scale. Not too worried about crime and gangs though, they're everywhere.

Am I thinking too hard on this? Do you think these concerns have some validity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 AM

332 posts, read 1,035,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
The main thrust of my question is, is there long term viability in NM? Water is a concern, base closings are a concern (effect on economy), lower wage scale. Not too worried about crime and gangs though, they're everywhere.

Am I thinking too hard on this? Do you think these concerns have some validity?

Speaking from the oldest US state capital, I'd say this area is going to be ok!
- Water is a concern, as it is throughout the West. Communities are going to have to continue to put this at the top of their investment list. It certainly will limit growth, which is not a bad thing. None of us want to be Phoenix...
- Base closings affect the areas around the bases drastically, but don't reach outside that area.
- And yes, we have lower wages. No getting away from that. If you're looking for work here, that has to be a factor. Even lawyers don't make their usual $500/hr here ;-}
- Are you thinking too hard? No. These are all concerns, and it's good to raise them. Nowhere's perfect, or even close. You should come here, hang out for a while and decide. Do you like clear blue skies and starry nights, an eclectic population, different food, strong artistic communities? Or do you prefer higher wages, traffic jams, high-end malls, and considerable choice in job opportunities? Your choice - nobody can make it for you!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:42 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
Tetto asks:

> My wife and I are still wrestling with trying to decide to move to NM

Are you wrestling with the idea or wrestling with your wife?

Last time you posted in March, your wife didn't like the place.
This is a big deal. Dragging an unwilling mate will drag down your life.

> Water is a concern, base closings are a concern ...

Every state has different kinds of concerns. As long as NM doesn't secede from the US, NM won't have any more concerns than CT (or CA or OH for that matter). It will just be different.

> Am I thinking too hard on this? ... concerns have some validity?

..................................... yes .......................................no

Old 05-21-2008, 01:21 PM

153 posts, read 211,593 times
Default Education

If you have children forget about NM, unless you have $$$$ for private school

Old 05-21-2008, 02:01 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
Tetto,

Have you visited New Mexico ... not just on vacation or just one time, but more than once and to see the different areas that might interest you? Have you done a lot of research about the state? The culture and the pace of life and the food and the ambience is quite subjective ... some people fall in love with it and others come here and find it is not for them and can't wait to leave.

It is a personal decision, and there are many factors to consider.

I hope you will visit here a lot and think about all of this at length before making any decision. GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:13 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
I'd have one major reservation going forward. If you believe (as I do) that energy prices, particularly fuel and heating are going to skyrocket in the next 10 years, then New Mexico is not IMO set up very well in the long haul to withstand this. For instance, many here in Las Cruces don't think twice about going to Albuquerque, and have many ties there, family, etc. When you consider how far spread out the state is, with population centers so far apart from each other, and public transportation largely lacking, there is a very real prospect that you will see a spatial contraction with regard to lifeworld, and that is something New Mexico is not nearly set up as well as say, the northeast, a good deal of the midwest, even a lot of the Pacific Northwest.

With that said, I hope I am wrong. I really do.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:20 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
If you have children forget about NM, unless you have $$$$ for private school
another false post with out any evidence to support the claim. Several Albuquerque Public Schools are way above National Standards (i.e. La Cueva). Its not the school, its the kid. If one tries hard enough they can succeed...its as simple as that. If your kid is lazy than he will be lazy his whole life........ Thats just the way it is. It al starts with the parenting, and the values they instill in their child. Also, it always amazed me the La Cuevas AP Kids who passed their respective tests always beat the national curve by 20+ points....so much for bad education.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:01 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I'd have one major reservation going forward. If you believe (as I do) that energy prices, particularly fuel and heating are going to skyrocket in the next 10 years, then New Mexico is not IMO set up very well in the long haul to withstand this. For instance, many here in Las Cruces don't think twice about going to Albuquerque, and have many ties there, family, etc. When you consider how far spread out the state is, with population centers so far apart from each other, and public transportation largely lacking, there is a very real prospect that you will see a spatial contraction with regard to lifeworld, and that is something New Mexico is not nearly set up as well as say, the northeast, a good deal of the midwest, even a lot of the Pacific Northwest.

With that said, I hope I am wrong. I really do.
Depending on where in CT the OP lives, mass transit may not be a viable alternative either. A plus for large parts of NM is the fairly moderate weather, resulting in lower heating/cooling bills than many in the NE have. Conversations with friends who live in CT & MA indicate that not only are our fuel bills lower, groceries, other utilities, gas and taxes are lower here. Something to think about.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:59 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Tetto asks:

> My wife and I are still wrestling with trying to decide to move to NM

Are you wrestling with the idea or wrestling with your wife?

Last time you posted in March, your wife didn't like the place.
This is a big deal. Dragging an unwilling mate will drag down your life.

> Water is a concern, base closings are a concern ...

Every state has different kinds of concerns. As long as NM doesn't secede from the US, NM won't have any more concerns than CT (or CA or OH for that matter). It will just be different.

> Am I thinking too hard on this? ... concerns have some validity?

..................................... yes .......................................no
Mortimer,

Yes I do wrestle with my wife occasionally...

But seriously, you are correct in a previous post I wrote that she did not like the area when we visited last year. However she has reconsidered somewhat; she did like Rio Rancho and Santa Fe, but we did not see much of the state at all. We are coming back in September for a much more detailed look around.
Here in CT, we can hold our own, but I don't like treading water though. It's very expensive, and property taxes are oppressive; I pay $6000/yr. With crazy energy prices, things ratchet up pretty quick.

We are outdoor people and NM is ideal for that. I guess on the first flyby we didn't see enough of the state to form a really detailed opinion.

We're really looking forward to coming back out for another look around.

Tetto

Old 05-23-2008, 04:22 AM

170 posts, read 648,662 times
Having grown up in CT myself and finally moving back out West in January it is a TOTALLY different environment than what you would be used to. It is much more spread out and a different climate (not as much snow or as humid as CT) but the landscape is SO much more beautiful and the people are friendlier I have found, not to mention the prices are probably less expensive than CT. I really didn't think twice about moving, mainly because I spent a lot of my youth here (I used to live in Santa Fe) so I'm used to the culture. When you do visit again, take time to get to know the areas you are considering and what the people/environment is like, and whether you really can see BOTH of you living here or if it is just a dream. Unless you live in a major area (such as Albuquerque/Santa Fe/Las Cruces etc) you will be in a pretty remote area that is unlike CT. Just take the time to think it through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque