U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Albuquerque: transplants, traffic, cost of living, housing, four seasons.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:30 PM

30 posts, read 90,841 times

Advertisements

Visited the town a few times. From the Philly/NYC area most of my life. The more I visited the more I fell in love with the place.

My fear is this: by the time I move there (in 5 or 6 years) it will have been "discovered" and the ruination (read as the OCification or Phoenixification) will begin.

People look at me crazy for wanting to move there. Yes I tell them I have to (and give a BS reason) but I would prefer to live in the swamps of Jersey. Hope that keeps the migration down.

Please, all ye from California-write back to your friends in the OC and tell them how much you hate living in ABQ.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM

19,644 posts, read 51,198,428 times
Thats funny, I always tell people to move to ABQ to lessen our population some.

j/k of course

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:47 PM

3,058 posts, read 8,200,871 times
I hear you loud and clear on this one veejay.

Folks like me really obviously had / have no reason to b**** and moan about an influx of transplants to ABQ, as I was one of them too, along with so many of us here.

However, admittedly much of what makes ABQ such an ideal relocation destination in the Southwest involves the ideal (in my opinion...others think it is too big or too little) population: -cost of living / housing is still reasonable, -congestion / traffic / pollution, etc. are still very reasonable, -amenities like the Sunport are still quite workable, etc.

And honestly, with the weather and the scenery what it is in ABQ, how fortunate ABQ has been to kind of stay "hidden" although that changes rapidly every month it seems, compared to the baking, hot lower deserts like PHX and LV.

I hear the fear veejay and understand it completely. I think most in ABQ have the same fear as well. There is a very fine line between growth and the ruination of the flavor, culture, and logistics that make ABQ what an amazingly special city it currently lives in which to reside.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,064,822 times
Excellent Post and Take EnjoyEP

VeeJay, I completely understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately though, for a local economy to flourish there has to be growth and jobs and people. Albuquerque will grow--it must grow not to die. However, if Albuquerque can grow slow and steady, we will see the same culture and same customs that make Albuquerque what it is. Albuquerque at 2 Million People probably wouldn't too much different as Albuquerque at 850,000 (current approx.) if it was a slower sustained growth. Its not if Albuquerque will grow, it is when and how. It is that criteria which will define what Albuquerque will feel and look like ten years from now, 20, etc.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:06 PM

101 posts, read 199,804 times
People look at me like I'm crazy wanting to leave Seattle for ABQ. They always ask me why, do I know anybody there already, etc. I tell them that I have been once already and fell in love with the place.
Some people just have no sense of adventure!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:30 PM

420 posts, read 971,532 times
christylou - me too!! The cross-eyed look and the inevitable: "WHY? What's there? Isn't it a desert..." I tell them yep it is... with lots of snakes, scorpions, mean, hateful people... I don't want it to get overcrowded either... just let me move there before the gates close! ;-)

Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 PM

2,575 posts, read 5,225,205 times
Every city needs an influx of new residents, to keep it growing. What you want, though, are the newbies who recognize and appreciate the uniqueness of ABQ, but also recognize that you can improve things without removing the uniqueness. Takes planning and thought, but it's possible.

I must have some great friends. No one thought I was nuts for moving here, and the ones who have visited me already loved it. But I have to confess, most of my close friends are in Dallas, so it's not a big stretch for them to picture me here, KWIM?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christylou View Post
People look at me like I'm crazy wanting to leave Seattle for ABQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyInSeattle View Post
christylou - me too!! The cross-eyed look and the inevitable: "WHY? What's there? Isn't it a desert..."
To a certain degree, I got this pretty strongly moving from Milwaukee to Albuquerque too. I think for different reasons though, perhaps than you Seattlites experienced...it is kind of funny...for as relatively annonymous nationally as Milwaukee is, folks up here still often act like the world begins and ends in Southeastern Wisconsin! I think largely this is because this portion in the Upper Midwest is so unique to the country in that so many folks here are natives to the area - born, raised, lived, died - etc., outside of the occasional "this isn't the real world" winter getaway to Florida or Las Vegas, folks just think it is lunacy to actually want to live somewhere else - ESPECIALLY somewhere outside of the Midwest - and REALLY ESPECIALLY a place like Albuquerque (for better or for worse, the polar opposite of the upper Midwest / Milwaukee, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I must have some great friends. No one thought I was nuts for moving here, and the ones who have visited me already loved it. But I have to confess, most of my close friends are in Dallas, so it's not a big stretch for them to picture me here, KWIM?
While as I stated above I had some resistance, some people here that kind of *get* what Albuquerque could be (even if they weren't terribly familiar) were pretty darn supportive, even if from WI and not from Texas!

But like you, Yukon, each and every person that visited me in ABQ (and it was a quite varied crowd) was either really in love with ABQ and returned, or, could at least completely see the reasons to love ABQ and was very surprised how much ABQ exceeded their perceptions / expectations.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 AM

101 posts, read 199,804 times
Enjoy EP I think you are right. A big change like moving from one climate or style of living to another can really freak some people out. The world is bigger than they realize. Just the idea of it is overwhelming for some. And here is Seattle, it really is beautiful and moist so it may be hard for folks to understand why anyone would want to leave for the high desert(which has it's own beauty). The need for dryness comes to my mind as well as the need for change and adventure. IMHO.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christylou View Post
And here is Seattle, it really is beautiful and moist so it may be hard for folks to understand why anyone would want to leave for the high desert(which has it's own beauty).
It just depends upon a person's definition of beauty.

I have been to Seattle / Vancouver BC and yes, in its own way, it is quite scenic / pretty.

But to me, a huge chunk of the year with gray, overcast skies and constant rain / drizzle and frankly quite chilly weather isn't terribly beautiful. Yet, to others, with the relatively constant greenery (due to the lack of long freezing spells and the high moisture levels) and mountains, Seattle is a pinacle of beauty.

To me, Seattle does have beauty, but it doesn't hold up to the beauty of the constant bright, crystal clear blue skies (clear, bright, and blue like folks from most regions of the US have NEVER SEEN BEFORE) with radiant and beaming sunshine is beautiful - this is what ABQ offers. The almost daily sunrises / sunsets that often are lacking in gray, cloudy regions. The ability to have temps in the 70s from early March until mid-November. Cacti. Roadrunners. THAT is beautiful to me.

So to each their own. There is beauty in the vast open plains of the US. There is beauty in the Great Lakes region of the US on the banks of huge, majestic Great Lakes. There is beauty everywhere.

But to me, I would take the 310+ days of sunshine per year with an actual long period of warmth of the high desert of ABQ over the Pac NW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque