U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:23 PM

10 posts, read 33,259 times

Advertisements

We just contracted to build a new home in Alegria this past weekend. Having an unsolicited top-of-market offer drop out of the blue on our upstate NY home clinched the decision to move sooner rather than later. Sales apparently had dropped off during the late spring, since they had special incentives for those who contracted before August 31st. (Free stainless appliance upgrade, half-price lot premiums other than the Bosque-side lots, $2k in free options) We're just no planning on how to bridge the five months between our October 1 closing and the probable 2/28-3/15 closing of the Alegria house. Looks like lots of timeshare traveling, serial visits to several sets of friends, and a few weeks in a Residence Inn to finish it off. Wish us luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 20,000,465 times
Hey, tthomps1, take advantage of the interim, and enjoy it! Just don't think about the storage expenses from closing of current home/NY to closing of new home/NM, LOL!!

And...I do wish you luck, but it amazes me how many East Coasters and Midwesterners have moved to NM....and love it. It's SO different from whence they came.

Coming from only a short distance away in West Texas, even I have found NM to be a different ballgame.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:12 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,038,029 times
Welcome, tthomps1. Don't know if you've thought of this, but once you get to the ABQ area you might consider starting to pay your HOA fees early so you can participate in Alegria activities. That worked out great for us; made lots of friends and had a bunch of fun at Alegria during the 7 months we were in a rental before moving into our new home in mid-July.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:26 PM

462 posts, read 912,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Welcome, tthomps1. Don't know if you've thought of this, but once you get to the ABQ area you might consider starting to pay your HOA fees early so you can participate in Alegria activities. That worked out great for us; made lots of friends and had a bunch of fun at Alegria during the 7 months we were in a rental before moving into our new home in mid-July.
Re: a rental in Alegria in Bernalillo.... Was that part of the deal in purchasing a new home in Alegria.... that if your home wasn't ready, they would move you into a rental? Just wondering about the feasibility of renting a home in the Alegria to check it out and then purchasing from there. What are HOA fees?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 PM

The rental wasn't part of the Alegria purchase. Michelle, the sales rep we worked with at Alegria gave us the name of a property management company that manages a number of rentals in the area. We rented one of the properties they were managing, which was located about 3 miles west of Alegria up in the Enchanted Hills area of Rio Rancho. That company is totally separate from Del Webb/Alegria and our rental agreement was independent of the Alegria purchase agreement.

We signed a 6-month lease with the rental company and then went month-to-month until our Alegria home was ready. Only needed to extend 1 month for a total of 7 months at the rental.

HOA fees at Alegria are $112/month.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:03 AM

10 posts, read 33,259 times
Thanks for the idea about the HOA fees. We'll be on site in late January based on current plans, and will probably start then.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 PM

147 posts, read 248,688 times
I lived in Arizona for seven years and became a bit familiar with the decent reputation of the Del Webb Sun City communities there...I knew for a fact that Sun City Vistoso outside of Tucson allowed a certain percentage of their residents to be older than 45. Does anyone know if this is true in Alegria?

I am not surprised about the comments concerning the small lot sizes. That is the trend everywhere. I do not mind small yards per say, but I think it is only natural to crave even a small amount of privacy...Are there deciduous trees, grass, screened in patios(a Florida thing), a sense of privacy at all. Do residents have freedom to plant ANY type of plant life in their yard, or is it totally restricted and controlled? The thing that turned me off about the communities in AZ were the desolate yards...Being the high desert, are there a little bit more greenery?...No, I do not mean Florida-type greenery...More than AZ though.

Thanks for the wonderful imput and opinions...It is nice to hear from others who have first hand knowledge.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrob View Post
I knew for a fact that Sun City Vistoso outside of Tucson allowed a certain percentage of their residents to be older than 45. Does anyone know if this is true in Alegria?

Are there deciduous trees, grass, screened in patios(a Florida thing), a sense of privacy at all. Do residents have freedom to plant ANY type of plant life in their yard, or is it totally restricted and controlled? The thing that turned me off about the communities in AZ were the desolate yards...Being the high desert, are there a little bit more greenery?...No, I do not mean Florida-type greenery...More than AZ though.
One resident in each Alegria residence must be at least 55...I believe. Unless Pulte/Del Webb has relaxed this to broaden the pool of potential buyers. But I don't believe they have.

According to the CCRs, all plantings must be approved by the Architectual Review Committee, and meet both the Alegria and Santiago Design Guidelines. Santiago is the larger development within which Alegria is one of three communites. I've attached copies of both sets of guidelines. The Alegria guidelines are split into 2 parts in order to meet the max upload size allowed for pdf attachments.

If it's just plants, as opposed to backyard patios, structures, etc., I have been told that some residents didn't submitted for ARC review/approval, particularly if the plants are in their backyard and not very visible from the common areas. But legally you have to get approval for even these if they are at all visible from the common areas.

Since Alegria backs up to the bosque, it's generally greener than some of the more stark developments in the ABQ area, particularly the newer parts of Rio Rancho. And I think ABQ in general is somewhat greener than the lower elevations in AZ (e.g., in Phoenix and Tucson) due to the lower temperatures and the path of the Rio Grande through the middle of the area. On the other hand, like all new construction Alegria has relatively few larger trees or long established greenery, and it's going to take some time to show what greenery is here to advantage.

When you buy a house in Alegria, one of the design elements you select is the type of landscaping you want - xeric, evergreen or ... (can't remember if there's one or two other choices, or what they call them). One comes with a small front lawn area, but generally the packages are designed to be drought resistant and fit with the natural landscape. This same philosophy is integrated into the design guidelines. The developer puts in both front and back yard landscaping but it's pretty minimal especially in the backyards. Many folks therefore do more on their own.

You can plant some deciduous trees and have all the grass you want in your backyard. I think it's not that hard to create a sense of privacy in your own yard, but whether that's true for you will depend on the degree of privacy you desire/need. I think it's one of those things for which you really need to come visit and evaluate yourself if you think you might be interested in Alegria.

I think screen porches might be allowed as long as they fit with the overall architectual theme of the community and don't overwhelm your yard. But why bother? There are few flying pests around here - one of the great pluses of living in ABQ - although the lots backing up directly to the bosque have more of these than higher up in the community. I think an extended patio is a much better choice here, which is what we have going in right now.

My view is that Alegria feels a lot greener than AZ in general. Some of this is due to the greenery in the community itself but even more is due to the presence of the bosque out our back doors.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Santiago Design Guidelines.pdf (166.3 KB, 232 views)
File Type: pdf Alegria Design Guidelines part 1.pdf (354.7 KB, 276 views)
File Type: pdf Alegria Design Guidelines part 2.pdf (379.4 KB, 153 views)

Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 AM

147 posts, read 248,688 times
Thank you for all that wonderful information! I love what I have seen, heard and read about Alegria, but am bummed out about the "over 55" rule...What is wrong with a 50 year old without kids?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:19 AM

69 posts, read 145,024 times
Thanks for the valuable feedback on Alegria, rwjoyak!!!! Very kind of you! I will be there next week, Oct. 11. Please contact me at endlesssummer53@yahoo.com for important info if you get this before I leave on Oct. 10. Thanks again!

Victor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque