U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-11-2011, 04:04 PM

697 posts, read 772,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboymilton View Post
Well, I just bought in Alegria! We finally sold our co-op and my husband and I flew out to NM, picked out our lot and bought a house. We just got back home Tues. night and we're packing up our apt. We will be going out there again next month and will be renting until our house will be done -- probably sometime in Nov. I can't believe this "New Yawker" will be moving -- but I love the opportunity to begin a new life!
Congrats and welcome! If you have any questions or want to chat more about Alegria feel free to PM me. We love it here and I'm always happy to talk to new residents.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 04:45 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,163,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboymilton View Post
Well, I just bought in Alegria! We finally sold our co-op and my husband and I flew out to NM, picked out our lot and bought a house.
ˇBienvenidos! (That's Spanish for "Welcome".)

Hope you enjoy your New Mexico experience. This is a unique place, filled with beauty, culture, friendly people, and occasional annoyances (just like any other area).

With the proper attitude and circumstances, you'll love it here.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 2,716 times
Default After build-out...and other questions

Hi--just discovered this great wealth of info on Dell Webb Alegria. Thanks in advance for your help.

My wife and I will be visiting Alegria in August, and are preparing our question list and doing research.

Someone touched on what happens after full build-out. Turns over to residents, high dues increase, etc. Does Dell Webb say anything about this. Is there a sinking fund set up to defray maintence, etc?

There is ALOT of complaints on the web about Pulte's poor construction and bad after sale customer service. Any feedback on this? It concerns us greatly. My parents were in the Dell Webb Palm Desert years before the Pulte buy-out and loved the community and the quality construction. I have concerns whether the Dell Webb brand is suffering under new ownership?

Can't wait to see this place--we are probably a year away from moving from Oklahoma (aging parents keep us here), but we are planners and researchers by nature and former profession--hence all the questions!
Thanks again for whatever assistance you can provide.
Regards

Old 07-08-2011, 09:58 AM

8 posts, read 6,564 times
Hi Gem50 - Construction began on our new home on Evening Primrose just last month. The governing documents address what happens after build-out. Based on the % of build-out the number of member-controlled seats on the BOD increases. I recall hearing that at 85% it reverts to total member-controlled, but I can't find that in the docs. Perhaps someone else will clarify.

I do know that there is a reserve fund, but to what degree it is funded at this time or if a depreciation schedule exists, I'm afraid I don't know.

Like you, we found all the negative stuff about Pulte on-line, but everything I found was related to other locales, not New Mexico. Everything we heard from the current residents about Pulte was extremely positive. And so far, our experience has been terrific. There was a problem with the roofing done by the previous builder, but Pulte has made good on the repairs. Everyone we've talked to indicates that Pulte is wonderful through-out and following the building process with wonderful post move-in service.

Keep an eye out for incentives. When we signed our deal in May there was an included 10K kitchen upgrade. Right now, I think they are running a 5K discount.

Take some extra time when you visit to meet the residents. They are extremely helpful and friendly. We attended a coffee social, but also met quite a few just talking to them in the neighborhood. We looked at all the resales and spec houses before deciding to build. There are quite a few homes under construction right now, but everything seems pretty well organized.

I hope that your first impression is as good as ours was. We already live in SW New Mexico, so were pretty familiar with the area. Be sure to visit the Range Cafe in Bernalillo while there - a state treasure.

Best regards, Marcia

Old 07-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM50 View Post
Someone touched on what happens after full build-out. Turns over to residents, high dues increase, etc. Does Dell Webb say anything about this. Is there a sinking fund set up to defray maintence, etc?
Yes, there is a reserve fund. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, Pulte changed the management company last year to AAM. AAM claims one of their strengths is on the financial side and ensuring adequate monies are put into a reserve fund to handle future maintenance/replacement costs. And they do seem to have quite a focus on this. In fact, one of the things that is currently underway is a new reserve study, which will help the HOA board determine if current fees are adequate to cover future maintenance/replacement expenses.

We now have 2 board members, out of 5 total, who are residents. (Pulte will continue to have a majority number until full buildout and turnover of the property to the residents.) One is very focused on the financial picture and making sure the HOA remains in good financial condition into the future. At his urging a budget committee of residents has just been formed and is about to start meeting to review all the financial details. My wife will be one of the committee members. On the surface it appears like we're in good financial shape now but we're taking steps to ensure that's true and that it stays that way.

Quote:
There is ALOT of complaints on the web about Pulte's poor construction and bad after sale customer service. Any feedback on this? It concerns us greatly. My parents were in the Dell Webb Palm Desert years before the Pulte buy-out and loved the community and the quality construction. I have concerns whether the Dell Webb brand is suffering under new ownership?
Don't know about other Pulte developments but here all construction is done by subs; Pulte itself isn't building anything. So construction is only as good as the subs' performance and the oversight of of those subs by Pulte's construction supervisor.

The current construction supervisor is excellent and really stays on the subs to make sure they're doing a good job. He's been in the postion for at least a couple of years and I'm pretty sure will be here through full buildout. Can't say enough good things about him - very knowledgable, willing to talk with you any time and discuss any questions or concerns you have, often stays on site from early morning through 8pm or so at night checking on construction progress and performance, personally sees to fixing things even after closing, just generally goes the extra mile to make sure residents are completely satisfied with their home construction.

Before he took the position Pulte had some issues with sub performance, partly because of poor oversight by the previous construction supervisor. One example is that a number of roofs were poorly installed; e.g., not enough nails securing the roof tiles, etc. This was discovered in the last year with one home, then Pulte started inspecting other roofs and now they have voluntarily stepped up to inspect and fix/replace all roofs installed by the sub that need it. Although the roofs have a 10-yr warranty, the sub that did the poor work is no longer in business so the warranty wasn't worth much...but Pulte stepped up to handle everything. So prior constuction here hasn't been perfect but I believe any significant problems are in the past. And have a lot of confidence in the current construction supervisor maintaining the excellent construction quality that is currently occurring.

After closing there are three scheduled warranty inspections - at 1 mo, 3 mos and 11 mos - which are opportunities for the residents to get any issues addressed during the Pulte warranty period. Issues identified during these inspections get fixed very quickly.

The only less than stellar performance is if you find an issue outside of the warranty inspections and contact Pulte's local warranty office about it. The performance of the warranty office in getting back to you or scheduling non-routine inspections and repair work is very spotty. Some folks have had long waiting periods or had to really keep bugging the warranty office to get their issues addressed. On the positive side, it seems better now than it was 6-12 months ago and everyone is hoping this will continue. Some folks have contacted the construction supervisor directly when they haven't gotten action from the warranty office as a way to get their issues addressed.

Quote:
Can't wait to see this place--we are probably a year away from moving from Oklahoma (aging parents keep us here), but we are planners and researchers by nature and former profession--hence all the questions!
I have the same nature and professional background, so understand exactly what you mean. If you have more questions feel free to fire away on the forum or send me a PM.

Richard

Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,031 times
thanks so much for your warm welcome! we will be leaving to drive cross country (with our 3 cats) on july 14th and plan on doing it in 3 days. since buying in july, the framing of the house along with the roof is already in place. we did get the incentive for the kitchen upgrade which we're very happy about (not that i do much cooking LOL). a construction supervisor (as mentioned by Richard) called me a couple of weeks ago and wanted to meet with us when we get to Alegria to go through the house with him for the wiring, etc. He said we would go over everything (questions, concerns and anything i would want added or changed) with me when we meet. It was a pleasure speaking with him and he's also emailed me pictures showing me how the construction is going. so far, everything has good so smoothly - i couldn't ask for a better experience. i have confidence that will continue when we move in.

Elise

Old 07-23-2011, 04:56 AM

Thanks for all the information. We will be there August 1st for our first look at Alegria.
Regards,
Gary

Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM

Default Bernalilo water and sewer problems?

Hi folks--now that my wife and I have visited Alegria 3 times this month, we are convinced that Alegria is for us--but that means the research gets detailed!

I talked to NM State EPA, that controls water and sewer and found out some things--I do not yet know whether this information will effect our decision to locate, but I thought I would see if any of you have researched the issue?

Alegria, being in the village of Bernalio (sp) is on 4 water wells, all high in arsenic (comon for NM). Two wells were shut down this week, due to high levels, and the backup system that hooks into Rio Rancho water supply was activated.
Sewer system in Bernalilo is close to being on EPA "consent order" status--which means their effluent is not clear enough to continue to discharge into the Rio Grande---this will require a $18 million upgrade that the city has not yet located the grants or loans to accomplish the upgrade.

Any info or feedback on this issue?
...or am I just being paranoid and overreacting to minimal reseach? (My wife says this is one of my common maladies!)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Gary

Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 6,564 times
Default Arsenic levels

This is the first I've heard of this, so thank you for the heads up. Our home is under construction so of course it is a concern. I would also love to hear a resident's take on this. I know that this is a common concern in NM's public water systems and private wells. Here's an article posted in July in the Sandoval Signpost that sounds like remedy is on track - at least it was a month ago.

This latest emergency is something that sure bears watching. I will repost if I learn anything new.

After researching on the internet, I found that it is a long standing problem as evidenced by the various Town new releases over the last couple years. Sounds like the Town bought off on some new technology that has been a dismal failure, but have had some success with new treatments for arsenic.

So all in all, it sounds like the Town is dealing with the problem and has back-ups in place. Guess I won't worry about this unless I hear something different.

Regards - Marcia

Old 08-26-2011, 03:44 PM

Marcia, you're exactly right. Seems there was a consultant that made some money selling the town on a treatment system that turned out not to work. Took the town awhile but they replaced that system with a proven technology and I think the arsenic problems are now in the past.

Richard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque