U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 PM

8 posts, read 14,068 times

Advertisements

We moved in last October and just love it here. The whole sales and building process went very well with two great sales consultants, Lisa and Michelle, and two terrific construction supervisors Ron and Eddy. Everyone really knocks themselves out to make sure the the process is as stress free as possible. I don't recall the exact amount of the earnest money, but I don't think it was a whole lot. Lisa or Michelle can fill you in on that. Once you contract for the lot and build, work usually starts within 1 month and is completed in 6 months or less. I don't think you can just buy a lot and sit on it. The last estimate that I heard is that we should be 75% built out this year. There is a great deal of activity right now, with quite a number of homes under construction. Right now, it seems like the most popular models are the Taos and Cibola.

Here's Lisa's email "Lisa Hayes" , and I'm sure she will get back to you with answers to any question you might have. And feel free to let me know if I can respond to anything else. Hopefully you will hear from Richard Joy with his two cents as I know he monitors this board too.

Best wishes, Marcia Andre
marciarandre@gmail.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,038,029 times
Thanks for the lead in, Marcia. Like her, I can't remember the exact amount of required earnest money but do recall it was low enough to surprise my wife and me. No percentage of the build price, just a pretty small lump sum amount, at least when we bought in Dec 2009.

Homes are going up pretty fast right now and they've even sold most if not all of the spec homes they built over the winter. With the Coronado you would be building on the south side of the drainage levee where there are only a few open lots left. However, they have a bunch of closed lots and I'm guessing they will open some or all of these pretty soon. They typically have a spring open house, accompanied by some sort of incentive package boost, and perhaps they will open more lots then.

There are 376 lots total and I'm guessing we have about 120-130 empty ones left. But those remaining on the north side of the levee and in the upper part of Alegria are smaller and aren't suitable for the Coronado. Not exactly sure how many larger lots are left but Lisa or Michelle can tell you that. Marcia, your link to Lisa's email didn't work and I don't have her email address.

Most recent projection I heard from Pulte (at last December's annual HOA meeting) was that they expect full buildout in 2-3 years, so that would put the buildout date right around your husband's retirement date. Just don't know if there will be any larger lots left by then. There is an active resale market as I'm sure Torie has told you (believe her last name is Robinson not Robins). But like Maricia said the Coronado is not as popular as the Taos or Cibola in the bigger models so getting that model as a resale would be more difficult.

Don't know if you can afford two homes for a couple of years or even want to consider that hassle, but there are a number of folks here with two homes who don't stay year round. Not something I'd choose to do but thought I'd throw it out as a possible alternative.

Like Marcia, we love living here. Think I described most everything in my previous posts but if you have specific questions fire away on the forum or send me a PM. I suggest you also check out the Alegria website - Home Page - if you haven't already.

Richard

Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM

Thanks Richard - trying to include Lisa's email again at Lisa.Hayes@delwebb.com

Old 05-16-2012, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,877 times
Thanks so much for your replies Richard and Marcia. I'm curious as to why Richard mentions The Coronado not being as popular as The Taos and Cibola floor plans. When I contacted Torie, she mentioned she had several clients that were looking for The Coronado plan. This home would need lot depth but not necessarily width since it is approx 1,950SF. There are larger home plans than that. I also wanted to know about the area which you refer to as the south side of the levee. What street would this be on and where is the levee located? I didn't notice it the last time we drove through the development. I'm looking at a map of the development. Are they building in the area of Evening Primrose Lane now? Is Salt Cedar Ct. part of Alegria or does it end at Prairie Zinnia Dr.?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 AM

The Taos is the most popular of the larger models here at Alegria although I don't have a sense for why that's true. We have the Cibola, after deciding between it and the Coronado. Liked the Coronado but ultimately concluded the kitchen wasn't large enough in our view.

Love how the kitchen is centrally located in the Cibola but still hidden from view a bit when we're sitting in the great room or den. We're not big fans of the open concept - as my wife says, she doesn't want to be able to look at dirty dishes when sitting in the great room - and think the Cibola has a great blend of openess without being too much that way.

It's also very light, getting lots of natural light into the home without too much direct sunlight. Even the kitchen, in the middle of the house, is quite light. In our opinion, the Taos in particular as well as the Coronado can be quite a bit darker (this also depends on the orientation of the house).

The levee runs right through the middle of Alegria, between Indian Paintbrush and Basket Flower down from the community center toward the river. May be a little small to refer to it as a levee, perhaps drainage ditch would be a better term.

What I referred to as the south side of Alegria is the area below Indian Paintbrush compass direction-wise. It includes the portions of Mountain Phlox, Purple Aster, Golden Yarrow, Evening Primrose and Prairie Zinnia to the "left" of Indian Paintbrush when looking from the river bosque up along Indian Paintbrush toward the community center (in the middle of Cottonwood Circle). All of Salt Cedar, which is part of Alegria, is also in this area.

They are building on Evening Primrose as well as every other street in the community but on some blocks have only opened one side of a street for homes. Individual homesites on some of the closed blocks are also being built on, most likely because the buyer offered them enough money to open up the lot.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 AM

Great response Richard. We picked the Taos as we loved the open floor plan and the kitchen facing the front of the house. We added a small patio in the front, and love the neighborly feel that it lends. Yes, it's indeed a bit darker, but we did not want a dedicated dining room, so that ruled out several plans. On paper, the Coronado was our favorite before actually coming to look. We quickly dismissed it once we saw it in person because, with the dedicated casita, the house itself felt way too small for us.

lmuzic - have the office send you a package if you have not already - great diagram of the entire community is included.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:05 AM

147 posts, read 248,688 times
I also appreciate all your replies and insight. Are most people there year-round residents or snow birds? Would you say most people are very social and enjoy the ammenities, or do many pretty much keep to themselves? And I asked this before (but did not get a convincing reply), do they ever allow residents to be over 45. Or at the very least, who could I contact for specifics? Many communities do allow a percentage to be 45 or older without young kids, of course...

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 AM

I'm a bit confused by your post carrob. Alegria is a 55 and older community. We have a few snow birds, but most are year around residents. Everyone seems pretty friendly, and it's quite easy to get to know people. See my prior post about how to contact Lisa.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-18-2012 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-18-2012, 03:31 PM

Think I understand your question carrob - you're asking if some residents can be between 45-55 rather than all being over 55, correct....?

The answer is yes, up to 20% can be under 55. Del Webb doesn't advertise this but I believe they do it to avoid running afoul of federal age discrimination laws. Haven't researched this to verify the reason, however, so it may be something else. But I do know the 20% is true and that some Alegria residents are under 55, including a couple who are friends of ours. No one under 18 can be a resident so, for example, residents cannot have a 17 year old or younger child living with them.

As I said, Del Webb is quiet about this, likely since their marketing is all about 55+ active adults and perhaps they are concerned that some fraction of potential buyers would be less interested if they knew this.

The following are very ballpark numbers. I would estimate about 20-25% of residents (around 80-100 or so) are very social. These folks are the ones that take part in lots of scheduled events and organized activities, as well as making friends and getting together at each other's homes on a regular basis. Another 20-25% attend some things, with their participation more limited to only those events/clubs/etc. of particular interest to them. Probably 20-25% or so participate in very little. 95-98% are friendly when you do encounter them.

There are two types of snow birds here. Some winter here and go north for the summer; others summer here and go to AZ or FL for the winter. As Marcia said, most residents are year round.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 PM

147 posts, read 248,688 times
Thank you both for your replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque