U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,040,859 times

Advertisements

Thought I would post an update on Alegria. We just had a vote today to elect three more residents to the HOA Board of Directors. Since we're past 75% build-out, the bylaws called for the three developer reps to be replaced with residents. So we now officially have an all-resident 5-member board. I'm one of the folks that just got elected.

Pulte is projecting they will sell all the lots here by March-April of next year, with full construction finished by late fall of 2014. Think they have something like 60 or so lots left, including the 9 models, although I'm not sure of the exact numbers.

Things here are still going very good and we continue to love the place. The HOA is in great financial shape, with reserves just about fully funded. The monthly fee remains around $112 per month and we do not think there will need to be any sharp increase when Pulte leaves, they have done a good job of making sure the HOA fees are adequate to offset current and future expenses. May go up with inflation, and as the community ages and more repairs are needed, but don't think we're going to be surprised in the future with the need for significant increases in fees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:46 PM

50 posts, read 95,970 times
What are the grocery stores and how close are they to Alegria? What big box stores are nearby; Walmart, Home Depot, Target, etc?

Old 07-21-2013, 08:24 PM

26,526 posts, read 45,164,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magswheel View Post
What are the grocery stores and how close are they to Alegria? What big box stores are nearby; Walmart, Home Depot, Target, etc?
Walmart, 1/2 to 1.2 miles depending on where you live.
Home Depot 2.3 miles.
Target and Albertsons Market 6.5 miles.
Albertsons Market 1.4 miles.
Smiths, 77 miles.
Sprouts Farmers Market, 10.5 miles.
Farmers Market, 10.6 miles.
Cottonwood Mall, 8.8 miles. the second largest mall in New Mexico which has Dillard's, JCPenney, Macy's, Sears and over 130 other stores.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM

Thank you! So the closest grocery store, other than Walmart, is Albertsons at 1.4.miles? Now I wonder how close a hospital is. I also heard that many doctors in NM don't accept Medicare. What do you know about that?

Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,535,503 times
Quote:
Thank you! So the closest grocery store, other than Walmart, is Albertsons at 1.4.miles? Now I wonder how close a hospital is. I also heard that many doctors in NM don't accept Medicare. What do you know about that?
The closet Hospital is UNM West. According to Google Maps it is 6.7 miles or 13 minutes from Alegria. I don't have any experience with Medicare though before my fathers passing last December he never had any problems with Medicare and doctors here.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,535,503 times
There is also the Presbyterian Rust Medical Center which is 10.7 miles from Alegria. And Lovelace West Side Hospital 9.4 miles away.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 PM

26,526 posts, read 45,164,443 times
Quote:
I also heard that many doctors in NM don't accept Medicare. What do you know about that?
I have never seen that happen. But there are some shortages of doctors, so sometimes you have to wait.

My wife had to wait 8 months to see a dermatologist. That was over five years ago. But the shortage of medical services in this area is not as bad as it was when we moved here in the 90's. There are three new hospitals in Rio Rancho.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:20 PM

I was hoping for another update on Alegria now that it is almost built out. What's shaking? Are the activities well attended? What's the most popular? Active sports or non-active sports? Are the facilities, pool, courts, clubhouse sufficient for the residents? Is the pool used year round? Any updating, maintenance plans? Do people tend to snowbird? More 80-90 year olds or 50-60-70 types? Is the Bernalillo community sufficient for entertainment or do people go to Albuquerque?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 PM

We've been Alegria residents for 3+ years now. Activities are well attended, lots to do but mostly not too crowded. We get 100+ people out for the most popular social events - New Year's Party, July 4th BBQ, etc. Other social events get 50-80 or so attendees. Then there are ongoing activities like Wednesday Wine and TGIF that typically draw 15-30 or so. Also various day/overnight group trips, other clubhouse events, weekly clubs and interest group meetings, frequent educational (Osher) classes, active pickleball and golf groups, etc.

Most popular are the ones with free food. Seriously, it's hard to say what is most popular since there are a wide range of activities for different people/interests. For more info, see the monthly newsletters and calendars posted on the News page of the community website (Home Page) plus check out the Events & Activities page on the website.

In terms of active things to do, onsite sports include swimming, the fitness center (with cardio and weight equipment), bocce courts and a small putting green, plus a 1-1/2 mile path within the community and a 2 mile loop trail in the bosque behind us for walking/running/bike riding. The loop trail connects to a trail along the river that runs all the way down to ABQ. The indoor pool is open year round; the outdoor pool is open from about Memorial Day to Labor Day. Also an outdoor hot tub. Offsite active pursuits include pickleball, golf, bowling, lots of hiking opportunities, etc.

The facilities are adequate for the number of residents, many of whom don't take part in many activities or use the common facilities. The biggest events like the July 4 BBQ are crowded but that's an exception to the norm. Full buildout will be 376 homes and there are only about 50 or so homes (including the 9 models) left to be sold. Pulte expects to sell out in the next 10-12 months at the current rate of sales. Based on the current number of residents and how uncrowded most things are, it looks like the facilities will be more than adequate at full buildout.

Maintenance is ongoing, with the resident HOA board (I'm a board member) being very focused on keeping the community looking good and well maintained. No specific updates currently planned although we're just starting to look into what to do with the front portion of the clubhouse once the Pulte sales staff moves out.

There are some snowbirds (maybe 10-20%?) but most residents are full-time at Alegria. Many more 50-70 year olds than 80-90. I would guess the average age at 65-70 but it's a young 65-70 - this is an active adult community in the true sense of the phrase.

Eating out is a popular activity and there are relatively few restaurant choices in Bernalillo. So residents do travel for that as well as other entertainment (movies, shopping, etc.). There are many such opportunities in Rio Rancho, Corrales, the North Valley and the ABQ West Side (Cottonwood Mall area) so we don't necessarily have to travel to downtown ABQ/Old Town/Nob Hill/etc. to find such things. I view us as located near ideally - 15-30 min to things in Rio Rancho/North Valley/West Side, 30-45 min to things within ABQ and 45-60 min to things in Santa Fe.

If you have other specific questions feel free to send me a PM.

Rich

Old 10-01-2014, 10:24 AM

Posting an update on Alegria in case anyone is still interested in following this. We're down to one unsold lot plus a few spec homes and three model homes left for sales. So full build-out should be completed sometime in the first quarter of 2015. There's also several resales now available in the community.

Pulte has also been working on the building the infrastructure for their new Del Webb community, Mirehaven, in southwest ABQ. Expect sales to start there within the next 6 months.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque