Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:22 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Pulte has also been working on the building the infrastructure for their new Del Webb community, Mirehaven, in southwest ABQ. Expect sales to start there within the next 6 months.
Rich
Isn't it next to the new West Side HS Sports Stadium? If so, that is the Northwest part of Albuquerque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 11:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
It's North of I-40 and West of I-25. It must be Northwest of Albuquerque. Google Map of Mirehaven

Old 10-01-2014, 04:26 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It's North of I-40 and West of I-25. It must be Northwest of Albuquerque. Google Map of Mirehaven
Yeah, I got it wrong. Guess cuz it's way southwest of us.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Yeah, I got it wrong. Guess cuz it's way southwest of us.
Yep... I'd go check it out, but it's almost a day trip...

Old 11-26-2015, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,674 times
Be wary of Allegria. Crime in the area is very high. Being gated isn't being safe Very easy to get in. I lived there for two years. Not what I expected in my retirement years. Unless you belong to the elitist class, your shunned. Other than everyone waving to anyone on the street, it';s not a friendly place to be. Sort of like being in grade school. Either your in a group or your taboo. Too small a community to have many things to do. No hiking, rafting etc Don't believe the TV ads. Its typical old age with card playing, wine drinking and people yelling at you to slow down if you drive 20 mph. (There's even a guy with a 15 mph sign on his back walking the roads) Easy to buy in since the turnover is high. Seems anyone with an ounce of life left gets out. The larger Del Webb communities are better, as the amount of people and therefore the mix creates a more vibrant community.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive schreeeve View Post
Be wary of Allegria. Crime in the area is very high. Being gated isn't being safe Very easy to get in. I lived there for two years. Not what I expected in my retirement years. Unless you belong to the elitist class, your shunned. Other than everyone waving to anyone on the street, it';s not a friendly place to be. Sort of like being in grade school. Either your in a group or your taboo. Too small a community to have many things to do. No hiking, rafting etc Don't believe the TV ads. Its typical old age with card playing, wine drinking and people yelling at you to slow down if you drive 20 mph. (There's even a guy with a 15 mph sign on his back walking the roads) Easy to buy in since the turnover is high. Seems anyone with an ounce of life left gets out. The larger Del Webb communities are better, as the amount of people and therefore the mix creates a more vibrant community.
Sorry you didn't enjoy Alegria, but your view of it doesn't jibe with how I feel living here or how other residents feel about it. Plus much of what you wrote just isn't true. I wonder how the groups I have hiked and rafted with from here would react to being told they don't exist. Other residents kayak, bike, ride motorcycles and do lots of other active activities. And it's laughable to say that anyone with an ounce of life leaves, when the truth is that "old age" folks you referred to are some of the most alive people I've met in my life. Your statements don't reflect the reality of living in Alegria.

As every resident is told when they move in here, the entrance gate is a privacy gate, not for security. Yes, it's pretty easy to get in, but while Bernalillo does have some crime, very little of it touches Alegria.

Not sure what you mean by an elitist class, but the residents here are the most welcoming and friendly of any community we have lived in across the country. I get it if you decided Alegria wasn't a good fit for you but that's no reason to bash the entire community and its residents. I've also got to wonder about someone whose very first C-D post is extremely negative. I don't know why you're so bitter, but the real Alegria is a very different place than the one you describe.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:16 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
rwjoyak, we know a few folks who live in Alegria and they share your opinions about it. I have heard very few negatives about it.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:03 PM

109 posts, read 136,123 times
I have noticed that in addition to Del Webb Alegria there is another further south in the general Albuquerque area called Mirehaven. Has anyone compared or visited the two, and have you maybe made a purchase? Which has a prettier setting? It appears that Alegria has plenty of easily reached shopping etc. How about Mirehaven? One person bashed the Alegria area likely outside of the immediate community for crime, any view on Mirehaven in that regard? We like the Del Webb communities we've visited in Tucson but the heat just makes it prohibitive. We've always enjoyed NM and these look to be well located for a base of operations to continue to explore. Thank you for any feedback.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-28-2017 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: EDITED: There is nothing wrong with reviving an older thread...

Old 07-28-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Fan View Post
I have noticed that in addition to Del Webb Alegria there is another further south in the general Albuquerque area called Mirehaven. Has anyone compared or visited the two, and have you maybe made a purchase? Which has a prettier setting? It appears that Alegria has plenty of easily reached shopping etc. How about Mirehaven? One person bashed the Alegria area likely outside of the immediate community for crime, any view on Mirehaven in that regard? We like the Del Webb communities we've visited in Tucson but the heat just makes it prohibitive. We've always enjoyed NM and these look to be well located for a base of operations to continue to explore. Thank you for any feedback.
Here's a few other C-D threads that include some posts on Mirehaven vs Alegria:

- Jubliee at Los Lunas, NM
- Places to look - HOA questions
- Homes in Alegria
- Retirement Communities in New Mexico

As a 7-yr Alegria resident and former HOA board member, I'm admittedly biased in favor of Alegria. As I said in the above threads, I think there's some good reasons for this. This includes IMO a prettier setting right by the Rio Grande bosque. But I also recognize that others may disagree. You really need to visit both communities to form your own impressions.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions about Alegria.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Fan View Post
I have not compared Alegria and Mirehaven. I am aware of both, to a degree. I recall when Alegria was being built, it was an old farm (Prices Dairy?) when we moved to the area. We moved to this area in 1998. We are 4 miles south of Alegria.

We know/have met a couple who for years has stopped by when doing their bike ride, and I am walking our dogs(s). They carry dog treats..

I have replied to a few posts in this thread, so I won't try to duplicate.

The poster which claimed to have lived in "Allegria" for two years and "Crime in the area is very high." is a troll. They posted once and never have been back and never responded to queries...

That area has grown and has been developing nicely. We looked at homes at Alegria once, but decided to stay where we have been (I have been looking at homes throughout the US for 40+ years in my travels).

I fully trust what rwjoyak has been saying about the area. He lives there and has contributed a lot to this forum...

Come on out and explore the area some more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque