U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:28 PM

32 posts, read 117,193 times
Default Is ABQ a little bit country?

I am planning on moving to ABQ and hope it has a little bit of a Cowboy feel to it, but not to much. Is their a few people walking around with cowboy hats in the great city of ABQ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:50 PM

3,058 posts, read 7,901,143 times
Not too much. At the Sunport, you'll see a decent amount of cowboy hats as many of the folks from the far-outlaying rural towns of NM travel all the way in to utilize the airport, and in their towns, the "cowboy" thing is more the norm.

However, out and about in the city itself, it isn't too much a cowboy town. A few here and there, but not many.

The cowboy hats you will see are often from the males that are Mexican nationals, as their traditional out-and-about gear is often cowboy hat, tight/long jeans and cowboy boots, even if it is 99 degrees outside.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 PM

2,452 posts, read 4,943,178 times
Several of our clients show up at the office in cowboy hats, but like EnjoyEP said, they usually drove in from outside of ABQ. Although one I think really is a rancher.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM

6,336 posts, read 6,513,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
The cowboy hats you will see are often from the males that are Mexican nationals, as their traditional out-and-about gear is often cowboy hat, tight/long jeans and cowboy boots, even if it is 99 degrees outside.
EnjoyEP hits the nail on the head. It's mainly Mexicans and actual ranchers/rural folk in town for the weekend who you will see in cowboy gear. And few of them at that.

If you get out to the edges where there is a lot of building going on, you wil even see Mexican construction workers wearing hard-hats shaped like little cowboy hats.

ABQConvict

Old 06-04-2008, 10:58 AM

699 posts, read 1,919,872 times
There are several Country & Western Bars in town, so you'll see enough (including my pops). If you choose to live in Corrales or the East Mountains you should see enough on a regular basis.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM

4,582 posts, read 9,247,739 times
you'll see more east of ABQ. near the rural areas,but when I do see someone in a cowboy hat I can usually tell what part of NM they are from,the cowboys here have a different look than the cowboys in eastern NM near the Texas border and of course there are the Mexicans all over the state that wear their cowboy hats.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 PM

1,764 posts, read 3,689,402 times
I think you'll find a bit of a country-western feel in NM, and to some extent Albuq. Certainly not to the extent of Texas or parts of Okla, but I think it's still there. There are several country radio stations, along with the bars previously mentioned, and the landscape is of the kind that inspires the country-western mindset found on the open plains. You won't find that in NY or PA, believe me.

As far as seeing cowboy types around town, nope. But like others mentioned, I think that kind of garb is still popular among many New Mexicans and Mexican/Americans - in addition to the ranchers already mentioned, I've personally seen it among truckers. Jeans, collared shirt, cowboy hat and boots, heavy gold chain. Charles Bronson meets Dwight Yoakam.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:06 PM

4,582 posts, read 9,247,739 times
if you want a country feel than Eastern New Mexico is your choice,almost all the towns that have a descent population are on the Texas border, Im from one of them, they feel more like a West Texas town than a NM town.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:36 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,932,228 times
I have noticed that there are a lot of Cowboy types that simply don't wear the hats. They will have the bolo tie and wrangler jeans, just no hat. There is definitely a bit of country in Albuquerque, but not extensively. If you go to the east mountains, north vallery or Corrales, etc. you will see much more of the cowboy flavor. Las Cruces also has a definite cowboy culture.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 PM

6,336 posts, read 6,513,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
If you choose to live in Corrales or the East Mountains you should see enough on a regular basis.
All hat, no cattle ;-)

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque