Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM

429 posts, read 1,477,283 times

Advertisements

jrod! Very cool and we know exactly (or at least pretty close) to what you are going thru as we are doing it now. We list either tomorrow or Thurs (Realtor's seem to like listing on Thurs instead of Tues) and then we'll see. I'm scared spitless as we are moving more or less blind... we are either crazy or stupid but we figure, what the heck. You only live once right? And if we can get what we need from the house then we'll be OK... for a while. ;-)

Scared? You betcha!! Pumped? Absolutely!! Overwhelmed? More than I can say. But with the house going on the market this week, at least we can stop fretting over it, other than keeping it super-clean until it sells.

They hardest thing (and I'm sure Towanda can vouch for this) is the waiting. We are ready NOW and just don't have the patience to sit and wait for the house to sell, packing, etc. We've made up our mind and we are ready (we think).

Second thoughts will come when your are exhausted from packing, stressed about jobs, trying to get the house listed... but they usually are just flitting doubts that don't linger. Mostly due to stress & exhaustion.

Husband is surprisingly more enthused about the move than me - I'm stressed (excessive worrying is a genetic thing for my family) about the economy, finding jobs, etc etc etc and he's like - I'm quitting my crappy job here, we are moving to sunshine and warmer weather... what's to worry about?? ;-)

Good luck jrod! And good decision!

Sogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 01:00 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
So far no mixed emotions.
That's good, jrod, but they'll come, believe me. It is just good to be prepared for 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyInSeattle View Post
Second thoughts will come when your are exhausted from packing, stressed about jobs, trying to get the house listed... but they usually are just flitting doubts that don't linger. Mostly due to stress & exhaustion.
In my opinion, they actually come strongest when you are realizing that you are seeing family, beloved friends, etc., for the "last time" - at least as a neighbor or nearby resident. The closer the relationship (and the longer the relationship), the harder it becomes when you interact with them as the moving date comes.

I think the people / memories factor is the biggest one when it comes to second thoughts. But it is good to know that they are natural, normal, and they can be "fought through".

Old 06-09-2008, 02:33 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,977 times
Congratulations Jrod! When you get to ABQ let me know, my wife and I would be pleased to show you around. ABQ can take a little get used to, so don't freak out the first year as EnjoyEP said once you hit the links in Dec/Jan everything will be fine.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Yes, it will be hard to say good-bye to the many friends we've made here but at least we are moving toward family. That helps us.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:48 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Yes, it will be hard to say good-bye to the many friends we've made here but at least we are moving toward family. That helps us.
Yep, in your situation Soggy, you are in the easier position. You are moving TOWARDS family...much easier to contend with emotionally!

For a fellow that headed to ABQ AWAY from family (from the far away Midwest) like myself - or now jrod - I think that is the hardest thing emotionally bar none.

However, hey, it still wasn't enough to make me regret my decision!!

Old 06-09-2008, 03:29 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
Quote:

They hardest thing (and I'm sure Towanda can vouch for this) is the waiting.
Well, remember that we were waiting for over 35 YEARS.

And yes as the time got closer and closer the waiting became really hard. BUT ... then just before you move you get SO BUSY you kind of wish things would slow down just a little bit. I thought I got a lot done ahead of time, but the last couple of weeks were still VERY WILD.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:36 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,097 times
Sogs,

You also did a "cool" post, really enjoyed it.

"I'm scared spitless as we are moving more or less blind... we are either crazy or stupid but we figure, what the heck. You only live once right? And if we can get what we need from the house then we'll be OK... for a while. ;-)"

Yes, go for it. We will be doing the same, just from a different planet, read that Philippines, and our ages are not as young as you and yours.
"Scared? You betcha!! Pumped? Absolutely!! Overwhelmed? More than I can say."

Well said, and fits us, especially my wife.

"They hardest thing (and I'm sure Towanda can vouch for this) is the waiting. We are ready NOW and just don't have the patience to sit and wait for the house to sell, packing, etc. We've made up our mind and we are ready (we think)."

Again... YES and we have to wait for four more years. :-)

"Good luck jrod! And good decision!"

I echo that and send you the same statement.

jOE

Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
Discussions like this - where folks are posting plans, and giving ideas, and saying welcome - make you feel like you already know people in town, like you're part of the community. And that's before you even get here. And then it's not so scary when you do arrive, because if you need a tip on where to go, what to see, you just ask your virtual friends here. Sometimes you even get to meet them. The ABQ forum was a big selling point in my decision to move here. Keep up the good work, gang!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:21 PM

We missed ziaAirmac when we were there but we'll all have to get together and do a 'dessert-crawl'. Yum.

Seriously, it is nice know there are helpful, kind people out there willing to help you out and point you in the right direction.

House goes on the market Thursday... Whooopppeeeee

macsret - FOUR YEARS???? ARGH! That's much too long to wait. I've never been good at waiting.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:25 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,097 times
Quote:
macsret - FOUR YEARS???? ARGH! That's much too long to wait. I've never been good at waiting.
You can do it, just tell your hubby that there is a real neat family, except for their MAN OF THE HOUSE, and 'he' says... WAIT. Done deal. LoL

Do wish you and yours the best and hope all goes well.

jOE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque