U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-13-2008, 09:38 AM

3,069 posts, read 4,856,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyInSeattle View Post
hee hee - AlisonL - your message makes me giggle. I have an insane sister that is planning to drive from Oklahoma to Anchorage, Alaska (round trip) with three girls under the age of 11 (10, 7, 5). She says it will be "fun" and the "girls are so excited"... I'm like, uh-huh, that will last for like the first 100 miles then you will be trapped in a car for another 3900 miles listening to "Are we there yet? I have to pee. She's touching, tell her to stop touching! I'm telling!! I'm bored, I'm hungry, I still have to pee..." Yep, tons of fun in that trip!!!

We are planning on loading up our slide-in truck camper, hooking up the Jeep and taking a bit of tour on the way down... despite outrageous gas prices.
Oh gosh, the first time we went to Columbus, Ohio, my daughter was 8. We didn't even make it out of Maine before she was asking "how much further". We threatened more than once to leave her sitting on the side of the interstate!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-13-2008, 11:49 AM

1,438 posts, read 2,762,883 times
ha, the good ole days of childhood boredom in a car. Give them a benedryl (for kids preferable) and they will usually go right to sleep--granted I don't have kids, but I had to do it on my nephews once (their mom was in the car so it was alright).

Soggy, that is excellent news. I hope your trip is Scenic, fun, and most of all, a worthwile family experience that will never be forgotten.

Unread 06-13-2008, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,516 times
Smile moving across country

from seattle to alb. I have done this before from Calif to Seattle.....so the easiest ($ painful) way is to hire a mover. I pack most stuff - the big stuff they do - and the take out of house and put into new house, rooms designated. I did a lot of research here - contacted the BBB and had several interviews/quotes with reputable movers, and went with national vanlines i.e local Banwar Transfer. They are terrific!!!!! our move date is the 20th - - - I've been reading some of your threads.....because i am brand new today to this forum, and we are also moving to Paradise hills.......we went down to alb for a week.........and drove the commute and visited the areas.......for the money , and the ammenities.....it really does offer the best value. WE met several nice folks, and there is something to be said about an area that is new, and open

We are leaving next Friday......meeting the truck down there......and perhaps stopping to visit some family along the way..........do you have any advice about great adventures on the way?

Unread 06-13-2008, 09:30 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,625,573 times
Wow, lots of people must be moving here! Today I saw car tags from Connecticut, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Iowa (think they floated down here?), Washington, Maryland and Georgia. And of course, the usual Arizona, California, Texas and Montana.

Unread 06-13-2008, 09:46 PM

3,059 posts, read 7,526,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Wow, lots of people must be moving here! Today I saw car tags from Connecticut, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Iowa (think they floated down here?), Washington, Maryland and Georgia. And of course, the usual Arizona, California, Texas and Montana.
Yukon -

You missed the #1 out-of-state plate I ALWAYS see in ABQ (outside of AZ and TX)...Washington state!!

Seriously, for a week or so, make an effort to notice out-of-state license plates. I ALWAYS saw Washington state plates in ABQ. It was really bizarre I always thought. Why WA???

(Maybe soggy isn't the only one that was craving NM sunshine after the gray / dreary of upper WA?? ). Seriously, it was bizarre to me. Saw so many Washington staters.

Unread 06-14-2008, 12:17 AM

1,438 posts, read 2,762,883 times
EnjoyEP, I have noticed that too. Two other states that I have seen multiple times and thought it was wierd was New Jersey and Wisconsin.

Unread 06-14-2008, 05:45 AM

469 posts, read 696,606 times
Your going to see 2 Indiana plates driving around in about 3 months or so. The first time I saw NM plates was during our visit to ABQ. You guys don't get out to the Midwest much. Then again, after visiting ABQ.. I'm not sure why you would.

Unread 06-14-2008, 06:52 AM

3,069 posts, read 4,856,595 times
You won't see any Maine plates, as we're not bringing our car with us.

Unread 06-14-2008, 11:07 AM

31 posts, read 56,879 times
Soon you are going to see Illinois plates around town. I plan to arrive on Monday.(for the exploring and house-hunting trip)
Really looking forward to my adventure!

Unread 06-14-2008, 11:56 AM

469 posts, read 696,606 times
ABQ in 2008..

Remember.. Tram, Jemez Mountains, Dinner at Sadies, Breakfast/Lunch at the Range in Bernanillo, Breakfast/lunch at Frontier across from UNM, Breakfast at Calico Cafe (Breakfast Burrito smothered in green chile) and Old Town.

Do those and you'll be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque