U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM

469 posts, read 724,106 times
Default Transplants to ABQ.. I have a question for you.

For those of you who have recently moved to ABQ, did you join any groups or clubs as a way to meet new people? I know churches and jobs and all that stuff is a great way to get the social network started but around Indy there are tons of clubs and groups that are a great way to meet peope. Anyone joined a biking, hiking, birding or any other club?

Also, I'm a self-starter of storts. I own a couple businesses with my dad. I was thinking about starting a Transplant Group in ABQ. City-data gets decent traffic but I was also going to put an ad on craigslist as well. They have a special section for it. Just curious who would be interested? I was thinking we could do all kinds of things.. progressive dinners (where everyone heads to one place for appetizers, then another place for dinner, then another for dessert, drinks, etc.) That of course, would depend on the #s of members. Or maybe do some hiking. Or meet at a restaurant. Really anything. Just get together and chat about ABQ.. what we like.. what we don't like, etc.

Let me know if you'd be interested. I thought the best way to do it would be to start an email chain. We could designate a few people (those who are creative and have a little time on their hands) to come up with activities and do some of the planning. Those people could email the activities to the email chain and so on and so forth. It wouldn't be tough to start.

DM me if you are interested. I'll start collecting email addresses and then I'll email everyone once we're out in ABQ for good.

Adios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 02:09 PM

Also,

One more thing. Nothing too crazy. I don't want people to think this is like a bunch of responsibility or something. My thinking is maybe do something once a month. Also, my first 2 members aren't transplants.. which is cool. Natives are welcome as well. Really I just use the word "transplant" because this forum is full of people looking to relocate. I just wanted to draw people's attention. So transplants, natives, whoever.. just a bunch of people getting together to hang out.. talk.. bike.. hike... eat.. whatever.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:18 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,033,367 times
Jrod,
I just sent you a DM.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:49 PM

31 posts, read 59,401 times
Regarding the clubs and groups, has anyone participated in a "meetup" group?
I found there are many Albuquerque interest groups at meetup.com, and thought of trying one.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:55 PM

Interests Groups?.. I did some in Indy like running and birding..

in ABQ I'd be interested in the same things..

Here's my list.. sports, birds, running, hiking, biking, fishing, camping, beer, wine, eating, politics

I really only need like 10 channels of my 648 channel Directv package

Old 06-12-2008, 04:06 PM

420 posts, read 913,827 times
We'd be interested. I'll DM you with our details.

Can we add Jeeping/Four-Wheeling to the list? We are new to that and would like experienced people to teach us the ropes - although with gas prices we may be doing more hiking (yea, in the SUNSHINE!!!!).

And it would be great to have natives in the mix... keep us newcomers in line. tee hee

Old 06-12-2008, 05:55 PM

7 posts, read 18,093 times
Hello jrod2828! Yes, try "meetup.com" there you will find all sorts of groups that you are in search for. I tried a backpacking group, I had a great time and met a bunch of really neat people. They meet at least once a month and they go out to different level hiking trails and spend 1-2 nights out in the wild. I loved it, but I'm a slug and only did it once. I really want to go out with them again.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:02 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,033,367 times
Hiking sounds fun if its slowwww paced, cause I'm an old fogey. LOL
Birding would be fun also. I feed the wild birds here and plan to do the same after moving. I haven't been fishing in years, but would love to take grandson.
My main outdoor activity is horseback riding. Hoping to get a horse again after we are settled.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the info andmarti. I'd definitely be interested in checking that group out.

Someone mentioned 4-wheeling.. never done it but it sounds fun.

AlisonL, you mentioned birding. My wife's mom is a huge birder. I always thought to myself that people walking around in nature staring at birds must be lunatics. Plus birds aren't that neat. I couldn't have been more wrong. My mother-in-law finally dragged me out to a birding hike and I saw these really awesome birds I've never seen before. The birds you see everyday in your neighborhood and around your city you kind of get tired of.. and I honestly thought those were all the birds out there. But there are some really cool birds when you step out into nature. Plus, she gave me a book where I can check the birds off as I see them. And me being such a huge competitor, of course now I'm obsessed with getting all the birds checked off. It's a really fun hobby. It's kind of a cool excuse to just go walk out in the woods. I suggest anyone who has never tried it to give it a chance.. it's addicting.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:05 AM

Btw, our little transplant group (or whatever we want to call ourselves) is already like 15 strong.. counting significant others.

I was thinking the first time we all meet we should try to guess who is who. The usernames and the way people type.. it gives me a picture in my head of who you are and what you look like. I'm interested to see how close I come to my guesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque