U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM

384 posts, read 753,790 times
Tanoan, Ocotillo, or the gated area at High Desert are all safe, gated areas. Expect to pay.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 07:27 PM

34 posts, read 91,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
ManzanoWolf,

If you left your house in the morning during rush hour and drove to UNM how long would it take you?

Also, how long would it take you during non-rush hour times?

Thanks.
Well, being retired I gave that rush hour traffic stuff up so I cannot answer that question . . . LOL!

However, during non-rush hour I use the surface streets (Paseo to Wyoming to KAFB) and it takes 30-45 minutes or so. I could probably get there a bit faster, but as a retiree I have plenty of time . . . LOL!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:11 PM

362 posts, read 1,119,973 times
Jrod2828..one of my close friends initially built a house over on the NW side. She commuted to work at UNM and it took her an hour, sometimes more if there was a wreck, to get to work during rush hour. After a couple of years of the commute, she couldn't stand it anymore, sold her house, and built a new one near Trader Joes in the NE. From there she can get to work in +/- 30 min.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 5,072 times
My wife and I live in Ventana Ranch - West. It takes my wife 25 to 30 minutes to get to work at UNMH.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 AM

744 posts, read 1,115,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
agreed norm. I have never seen anybody's car in my NE Heights neighborhood smashed out...and almost everybody leaves their cars in the driveway. I can't believe that your neighborhood would have all these horrible vandals running around and there isn't a neighborhood watch or you haven't notified the cops--if it is constantly a repeat offense they will patrol your neighborhood at night.
Actually, we do have a neighborhood patrol and my son participates. Consequently, I hear about events that occur. For all I know, there may be some people in our neighborhood who are totally oblivious to these events.

The cars that get smashed windows are ones that are parked on the street. Rarely does a car in a driveway get the treatment (although our next door neighbors who got their beamer smashed on the street also got their Lexus smashed in their driveway...though it was parked at the end of the drive very near the street). Once we called APD was when a couple of drunk teenagers ran off the street and totaled their truck against a neighbors cinder block wall. It took 3 calls and 1 hour before anyone showed up, and that was on a Monday night. We also called APD when a neighbor witnessed our mail being stolen from the box...and all we heard was that mail theft is a daily occurrence. In spite of all this, I still consider our neighborhood safe...I've never heard of bullets flying around here or assaults on our street. Considering the vandalism in our subdivision, I guess I'm just amazed that there are neighborhoods in Albuquerque where people live for many years and never experience anything like this.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 AM

469 posts, read 740,523 times
Honu and VRW..

I'm confused. Honu, it took your friend 1 hour to get to UNM during rush hour and it only takes VRW's wife 25-30 minutes from Ventana Ranch West. I'm confused. I guess I'll have to make this drive myself on my next visit. What roads are you guys taking? Paseo.. Almaeda? Something is odd about the huge difference in the 2 commute times from the same general area.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:22 AM

jrod, I'll have to email my friend and ask her her about the route she used to take to work. I know for a while she had started teaching night classes and such just to try to avoid the commute, but last year she couldn't avoid the 8-5 work schedule. She was miserable with the commute. Luckily she was able to sell her house quickly, no small feat with the real estate slow down.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 AM

469 posts, read 740,523 times
Honu,

Thanks for looking into it. I can only guess that the difference is due to different routes or perhaps one of you drives a moped

Old 06-25-2008, 07:47 AM

Dr. A drove a Lexus. She wouldn't be caught dead on a moped.
I emailed her. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 AM

okay jrod, here's what she had to say...and I stand corrected. 45 min instead of 60 min in rush hour...I personally still wouldn't do that every day, but just depends on what you're comfortable with....

Okay, here response "Ohhh the west side. Every day as I'm driving to work I feel so happy that I am not on that side of town any more.

I was living in the Stonebridge subdivision (Irving and Bandelier; basically about a mile west of Coors and Irving where the Best Buy, Walmart, etc. are located).

I would drive Irving to Coors to Paseo to I-25 to get to work.

It really all depends on traffic-with no traffic I would say about 25 minutes would be the fastest time. When I could go at weird hours, it wasn't a big deal. Regular work hours were definitely harder~45 minutes in rush hour. If there is an accident on Paseo you are just screwed...then you can sit there forever.

That's the bashing I have for the west side. Here are the good things--Cottonwood mall is good and much less scary than Coronado; grocery shopping can be done at the largest Super-Walmart which saves in a huge way; close to Corrales, which is beautiful; and constantly building new things so everything looks very clean and new stores/restaurants are constantly coming there.

It's weird how it really is a separate part of Abq...I have only been to the west side once in this entire year because they accidentally sent a package to my old address and I had to pick it up. I liked that too, that it felt like when I was home it was really a separate place than my work area..."

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque