Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 PM

429 posts, read 1,477,540 times

Advertisements

I know you all need the rain so if we can bring some, we won't begrudge you a few drops - as long as the sun shines eventually... I'd like to be a good neighbor & help where I can. hee hee

Yep, Pintada... lots of people have recommended renting first - so that's what we are going to do. Scope things out then put down roots. We are hoping that the first month or so we'll get to spend the first 4-6 weeks (after a week or so with Mr Sogs family in TX) exploring NM a bit more. That's what we've been saving for. Then down to the good ol' grind of working for a living. We figure while we don't have a mortgage or any debt (besides gas/diesel) we should explore a little and get recharged. May not be able to do that for another 20+ years until retirement. <sigh>

We are looking in East Mountains - it all really depends on where we land jobs - but we are certainly country-folk (who like the amenities of a big city close by), so rural is good for us.

So - I guess I'll have to change my handle once we get moved, huh? DriedOutInNM makes me sound like a lush... UsedToBeSoggyInSeattle??? :-)

I have to admit - today was kind of odd. I'd get all excited about moving then I'd get all bummed that we were moving (the sun is shining this week so things are 'brighter' here - no pun intended)... But everytime I get on the forum and read a post, it makes me smile and all giddy to get moved!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyInSeattle View Post

So - I guess I'll have to change my handle once we get moved, huh? DriedOutInNM makes me sound like a lush... UsedToBeSoggyInSeattle??? :-)
How about EnchantedinNM ?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:10 PM

908 posts, read 2,853,808 times
Congrats SoggyInSeattle. Best wishes for a smooth transition. I think the East Mountain area is an excellent choice for someone wanting to toe the line between rural living and big city access. Some of the properties (land and houses) are breathtaking! Every time my wife catches me flipping through the local real estate rags she mentions that next time she'd like to go a lot more rural. I think about all the fear you expressed about selling your house in this market and it seems funny how quickly it happened. Welcome to the fold

Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
I think about all the fear you expressed about selling your house in this market and it seems funny how quickly it happened.

Not really. Soggy was meant to be here - NM has picked her. I really think there's something to that, with all the (happy) transplants I've met who had good luck in their move here (me included).

Soggy, if you have a few minutes, you might call some churches near you or ask your friends if they know someone needing help. I was able to give much of my furniture to a young mom & son who had left her abusive hubby and was about to get her own place (she'd been staying with her parents). It's nice to know someone might also be making good memories with my things, like I did. I kept adding to the pile, and her eyes kept getting bigger - "you can't really be giving me ALL this!" It was fun

Old 06-28-2008, 11:46 AM

429 posts, read 1,477,540 times
Yes, I was going to start calling churches and shelters - our Goodwill Center told Mr Sogs yesterday that 'due to an overwhelming cycle of donations, they are't accepting anymore for a while'. Hmmmm... It's stuff that's too good to throw away but I just don't have time to try & sell it. Or at least I can't bear to throw it away - someone else can...

Great story Yukon and I do hope that others can make memories with some of the stuff that holds such fond memories for me.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:55 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyInSeattle View Post
Your Goodwill Center told Mr Sogs yesterday that 'due to an overwhelming cycle of donations, they are't accepting anymore for a while'.
Sounds like your GW has priced the items in the thrift stores too high and inventory is not selling as fast as donations come in.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,949 times
Smile Congrats Soggy!

Congrats. I am going to be relocating from Los Angeles to the 505 in about 6 weeks. I lived in the 505 a little over ten years ago and I just could not stay away!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:12 PM

145 posts, read 481,470 times
Soggy,
I desperately miss Seattle food. I highly recommend you spend the next few weeks getting to all those favorite places. I truly miss good Italian at the Pink Door. Coconut pie a the Dalia lounge. Salmon at Cutters. Fish tacos at Chevys no less and their Martguerita. Glassblowing at Seattle glassblowing on 2nd and Bell. If I have one more person try and put green chili on my food...... I like it but not everyday on everything.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:51 PM

96 posts, read 410,313 times
Congrats on the quick sale! We sold our home in a week after spending an exhausting few weeks getting it ready - and then it was right into packing and doing the home inspection repairs and termite tenting. It's Sunday night and the movers are here Weds! Best tip I can give is to go room by room, make a plan (2 days for that room, 3 days for that room etc) and then divvy up the rooms. You never have enough tape, boxes, and bubble wrap...never, ever.... Don't wait until the last minute to stock up! We were lucky a friend had moved last year and I had driven over to his new house to take all his boxes when he was done; saved us tons of dough as we only had to buy a few mirror boxes.

We are also moving to the East Mountains, move in at the end of July. Please feel free to drop in and say hello when you get here and we'll share what we learned!

Old 06-30-2008, 01:51 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
Congrats, Soggy. 11 days. That's incredible!

I'll share my super secret way of chucking stuff.
(Imagine holding the whoozawhatsit aloft and contemplating..)

I have to clean this up/off. Pack it up. Carry (or hire) it onto a truck. Pay to move it 23 hrs away. Unload. Unpack. Find a place for it. Trust me, it looks a LOT less attractive at that point!

Helps tame my packrat tendencies with my innate laziness, lol!

I've already started de-stuffing. Had a yard sale. All the little ticket items that didn't sell there went to Horse Haven of TN's yard sale. (nonprofit group as well) Ebay-able stuff went there. Books went in for trade credit at the used book store, dvds went online. We'll do the same for everything as we go, if it won't sell, then it's donated. And I get to learn how little I really can live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque