Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:46 PM

57 posts, read 142,566 times

Advertisements

New to the forum and have a couple of questions. I returned to Albuquerque a few months ago, after a six year absence.

Found a decent (for now) place to live, and fell for the Qwest scam bundling. Dealing with the people at Qwest, trying to rectify all the mistakes, being billed for items that were not disclosed to me, has all been a nightmare.

Needless to say, I am going to find another provider for phone, TV and Internet services.

Any suggestions?

My other question is about my swamp cooler. It's older but except for a slight "clanking" noise, it works fine. A friend came over yesterday and showed me how to oil it, which we did. It was much quieter, at first, but then became louder than it was before it was oiled.

Would anyone know why?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 01:19 PM

362 posts, read 1,719,389 times
I used comcast for cable tv and internet. I skipped the home phone and just used a cell (Sprint). Never had any trouble with either.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:30 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Hi Elizabeth60:

Welcome to the New Mexico Forum! And welcome back to New Mexico!

I'm sure you have come to the right place to get your questions answered and to get the information you need...

I have Qwest bundling. Like it so far. Only problem we had was getting our second computer hooked up on a wireless router ... and the Qwest rep spent hours on the phone with my husband till they got it working properly. I guess different people have different experiences.

Our other option here in Santa Fe was Comcast, which I have also heard good things about, but the previous owner of our house told us he had trouble with it, so we went with Qwest. Glad we did ... so far.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:32 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
mortimer is our resident swamp cooler expert extraordinaire.

I bet you next time he is here, he will have an answer for the clanking problem.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:34 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,965 times
You may need to replace the belt and the bearings on the swamp cooler. Not all that expensive.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:02 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Elizabeth60 asked:

First of all, that thread title is lame. Too bad you can't change it.

"Hi folks"? What about "QWest and Swamp Cooler questions"?

I guess I'm just too 80's. -- Only 6/3 doesn't hold *THAT* against me.

> Qwest scam bundling. ... Any suggestions?

Yes. Be cheap. Never bundle. Buy the minimum package that will scrape you by. If you later find you absolutely *have* to have another service, add them piecemeal. Never bundle.

They ***SELL SELL SELL*** you those packages/bundles because they make huge ***$$$ $$$ $$$*** by doing selling these. Never bundle.

> ... my swamp cooler. ... "clanking" noise, ... Would anyone know why?

Generally, it's because something is bent. The air movement mechanisms in the cooler all have circular travel and if something is not perfectly flat as it rotates, it will hit something on every revolution once the 'bend' is bad enough. It might be that the something was out-of-balance and over time caused a 'bend.'

On the one hand, it's probably going to keep working all summer. If it's really old, have it evaluated for a replacement in fhe fall when the labor and parts are cheapest.

On the other hand, if it is really loud and obnoxious, it might get sabotaged by a neighbor to make you really get in there and have it fixed.

I had to do this at an apartment where I lived for a semester in Houston. Every time the a/c compressor kicked on, it howled like someone was operating a chain saw outside my bedroom window.

After complaining for a week to the management about it, I went out at a 2 am 'wake-up-call' and snipped a bunch of wires leading to the unit. No more noise. When they fixed it, the also fixed the noise. Although I was probably an obvious culprit, no one ever said anything.

It was also the last time I ever lived on a floor underneath another floor.

I will never make that mistake again.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:06 PM

Thanks, folks.

I realize my Qwest experience might not be the same as others, but mine has been a terrible, botched up mess.

I've had Comcast in other states, and have never had a problem.

I'm at the point, though, that I don't trust any of them to be ethical.

However, there seem to be less "I hate Comcast" sites than there are "I hate Qwest" sites.

As for my swamp cooler, I was thinking it might need the bearings replaced. The belt is fine. However, I'll look forward to Mortimer's input, too.

Thanks again.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:07 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Towanda claimed:

> ... mortimer is our resident swamp cooler expert extraordinaire.

No I'm not. I'm an expert on theory and operation.

When it comes to turning wrenches, I call in for help, generally. I can run water lines. I can replace pumps, floats, gaskets, clean stuff out, oil the shafts. Little stuff like that.

This year, one of our control units stopped working. When we turn it on, you can hear a relay inside "operate,"
but motor - no - turny.

Maybe it's the fan motor, maybe it's not. Maybe it's the relay, maybe it's not. I'll run errands back and forth turning things on and off in the house (for the repair dude), but I'm not diving into the guts. I paid someone $75/hour to do that and tell me the repair was open-ended.

Maybe it will be $300. Maybe it will be $500. Maybe it will be more.

Since we have two huge Master Cools and live at 6,080 ft, we decided to *not* repair it this year and have both switches converted to ON/OFF switches this fall rather than use the existing (proprietary and not servicable $200) electronic boxes.

Now, if this was GregW's problem, he'd be salivating right now at the prospect of getting his hands dirty.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:08 PM

Well, Mortimer, thanks so much for your input, and the next time I post, I'll be sure to consult you about the thread title.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:59 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
Elizabeth60, your experience with Qwest exactly echoed mine when I moved, and it took six months of exasperating experiences to get it all resolved. DirectTV was the biggest part of the nightmare. I unbundled, and have gotten Dish Network for tv and love it. Easy installation too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque