U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-03-2008, 03:26 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,485,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
My personal wealth in Albuquerque:

(1) The fact that some time during the day it is going to be nice enough outside to take a walk outdoors and really enjoy myself.

(2) I can be hiking in the Sandias within the smaller part of an hour (the Manzanos in a little over an hour)

(3) (I've said this before ...) The coolest thing about eating in a restaurant here is when they ask you "red or green?"

Old 07-03-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
How long before they're bought out? Does Sun Healthcare ring a bell?
Buy outs are bad?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:55 PM

1,764 posts, read 3,855,942 times
Well alot of these "lists" come out all the time and they're only as good as the research that goes into them. For instance, Money Magazine just published a list that show the Albuq housing market losing 10.5% in the coming year, while Housing Predictor shows the market gaining 3.5%.

Regardless of how accurate the list is, I still was really proud to see Albuq come in at #5 for building personal wealth. I guess I just have a soft spot for the Q.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:14 PM

They made a similar "list" back in '06... I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:22 PM

502 posts, read 1,252,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Buy outs are bad?

Yeah, a local biz is sold and all the benefits derived therefrom (local corporate mgt., profits and reinvestment) are now diverted to the conglomerate, wherever that may be. <Mod cut: unecessary> And, oh, it's Whittier Elementary School, not "Wherry". You're obviously not from the area. <Mod cut: unecessary>

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 07-04-2008 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-03-2008, 10:35 PM

303 posts, read 645,557 times
I live in NYC right now, and I definitely do not make $300k a year with bonuses, and no one I know does. Even my friends who went to law school started out at about $150k and haven't doubled yet. I am sure there are many people in NY who do make that kind of money, but they are not the majority. Most people here are not building anything but personal debt.

I teach school - when I move to Albuquerque, I'm going to drop about $30k off my salary. But I'll trade my 700 sq ft apartment - which I don't even own, by the way, I own shares in a co-op that tells me whether or not I can renovate to my own tastes, and what hours I can move stuff in, and which areas I can walk my dog in, and which elevator to take if I have him or my bike - anyway, I'll trade 700 sq feet for a house that's at least 1800 sq feet. With a garage and a yard. That costs less! The only way we even managed to buy this place is because someone died and left us some money. Paying NY rent on a teacher's salary ($1500 a month gets you a studio in a good neighborhood, NOT near the subway) doesn't leave much left over for saving for a down payment.

Property isn't the only issue, though. Admittedly, my property here in NY will probably out perform my property in Albuquerque, and in 10 years this apartment will be worth more than my house. But on that $30k less salary, I will be able to save more and travel more than I can here. I won't have to pay for parking every month, nor pay my exorbitant maintenance fees. I'll be able to go to a restaurant and have a nice meal with my partner and a couple of drinks for under $30. Sounds good. That's wealth to me - not the dollar amount, but what your dollars can get you.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:14 AM

2,576 posts, read 5,233,221 times
Riverdog, you illustrated the point of the article perfectly! When do you move here (and start building that wealth)?

br7or13, wouldn't you be happier over on the El Paso forum, using your charm to convince people how wonderful El Paso is?

Old 07-04-2008, 12:41 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,353,252 times
The article isn't about the miniscule portion of the population that makes $300k a year. It's about the majority of the population that makes a lot less. If you make $30,000 in Albuquerque you're better off than someone making $45,000 in NYC. Someone making $300k is well off anywhere.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:29 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,068,780 times
David Bent, I never said you attacked me, I just said you didn't disagree politely. Also, I didn't insult anyone. Telling people to get off their high horse is a suggestion or maybe a command. I used an imperative sentence. An insult would have to be a declarative sentence.

Secondly, I restated my argument because you have done nothing to refute my argument. If you are going to disagree, please rebute or atleast qualify my argument to point out why you disagree with the list. Also, David, as you can see from other posts, your statements that insinuated 300,000 dollars was pretty much pocket change to a great deal of New Yorkers was a little off base. However, if you feel like providing hard cold facts or proof, your argument would be a whole lot stronger.

br7or13, I don't understand what your problem is with Albuquerque. Why does it bother you so much that Albuquerque was ranked so high on a list? Its not only that you disagree with it, but you almost resent it. Perhaps there is a bit of an inferiority complex here.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 AM

303 posts, read 645,557 times
[quote=yukon;4331906]Riverdog, you illustrated the point of the article perfectly! When do you move here (and start building that wealth)?

Yukon - the movers are coming at the end of the month. Can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque