U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:32 PM

519 posts, read 1,552,865 times

Advertisements

Hi All --

I have the opportunity to rent a room around Kathryn and San Pedro, and I know it is close to the "War Zone," but I would like to know how War Zone-ish the area actually is.

I've looked at Google Maps and seen the Street View, and there seems to be plenty of newer cars in the area (always a good sign to me).

I've also gone to the APD site to find crime statistics, but there doesn't seem to be a listing.

The rental agreement is month to month, so I don't mind moving to a better area once I get situated. I'm just stressin' about housing (I'm moving from Cali for UNM), and I just want to find a place.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 03:40 PM

3,556 posts, read 9,047,733 times
The area is just fine. There is an APD sub-station close by. There is a middle school down the street. You could walk/bike to the grocery store. Blockbusters just moved out of the area though (sorry).

My in-laws live there now and I grew-up in the area (Wilson Wildcats!/Wherry Elementary School). However, there are nicer neighborhoods, but why not give it a chance.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM

Okay, I'm glad to hear that is it fine. I know it's not upscale (or probably middle scale), but I just don't want to accidentally move into the War Zone.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:05 PM

I would call it lower-middle-class, but not the "war zone" as is often the descriptor.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:22 PM

3,690 posts, read 7,622,896 times
I think Kathryn & San Pedro is part of the war zone.

Worst neighborhoods according to the city web site (along with crime rate since 2000):

*La Mesa R (46940) (Between Louisiana & Wyoming, N of Central)
*Notify Downtown List (41637)
*Trumbull Village R (37030) (Between Louisiana & Wyoming, S of Central)
*South San Pedro R (30558) (Between Louisiana & San Mateo, Gibson to Central)

I didn't get an aggregate mean or median, but there were few neighborhoods with more than 1000 crimes over that period.

These three neighborhoods: La Mesa, Trumbull Village, South San Pedro are today's war zone, and San Pedro & Kathryn is smack-dab in the middle of South San Pedro.

The crime rate is pretty low for Elder Village, which is the SE corner of South San Pedro, so maybe the real trouble is closer to Central.

I don't say this lightly: stay away from that area.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:38 PM

It's rough around the edges... I would try and get as close to Gibson as possible.

There is also a library and small grocery store at the corner.

Last edited by rybert; 07-02-2008 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzter View Post
Hi All --

I have the opportunity to rent a room around Kathryn and San Pedro, and I know it is close to the "War Zone," but I would like to know how War Zone-ish the area actually is.

I've looked at Google Maps and seen the Street View, and there seems to be plenty of newer cars in the area (always a good sign to me).

I've also gone to the APD site to find crime statistics, but there doesn't seem to be a listing.

The rental agreement is month to month, so I don't mind moving to a better area once I get situated. I'm just stressin' about housing (I'm moving from Cali for UNM), and I just want to find a place.

Thanks so much.
Do you have a specific cross-street? I can only speak for the area directly South and East of that intersection.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM

1,419 posts, read 4,381,219 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
It's rough around the edges... I would try and get as close to Gibson as possible.

There is also a library and small grocery store at the corner.
I have to disagree again, stay as far away from Gibson as possible. For some good rates, you may want to look in the Student ghetto, but the warzone is not nice any part of the day.

Anyone who is telling you that this area is simply "rough around the edges" probably hasn't seen this area first hand.

To live near UNM, perhaps look at some Apartments off of Candelaria. I agree with Zoidberg, avoid the WARZONE

Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 PM

I grew-up there... and have family there. I know it intimately. Streets like California, Indiana, Dakota... all nice streets South of Kathryn.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:26 PM

It's actually 7XX Arizona off of Kathryn and San Pedro. I Google Mapped it, and saw the street view ... it has trees, decent looking houses ... Arizona looks like a nice street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque