U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2007, 02:04 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Default Type of apartments available near UNM

Going through Craiglist, I have been happy to see the frequency with which "one bedroom apartments" actually end up being small, free-standing, houses. But it seems like those are mostly available a little further out from Albuquerque's center. I'm just wondering about how many apartments of that sort are located near UNM's campus.

(I'm starting to think of not only relocating, but maybe doing graduate work at UNM, since I'm interested in changing careers, but doubt that I can find anything I'd want without further education. Although I must say that the further education I'm considering isn't exactly practical, but I already compromised once and got a practical degree in a field I thought I could live with. Now it's time to either go into something extremely in demand or do graduate work in something that actually excites me. I'm leaning toward the latter.) (But that's all an aside!) (Like you couldn't tell.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,387 times
Default Advice on apartments around UNM

Hi everyone!

I'll be attending University of New Mexico in the fall; I was wondering if anyone had any advice on chosing an apartment complex. I'm a graduate student, so not many parties lol, looking for somewhere safe.

I understand that there is some crime around ALBQ and the university like anywhere else), but I'm looking to walk to UNM.

Any advice on which side is the best, complexes, and so on would really be helpful!

Best wishes everyone!!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 04:23 PM

5,554 posts, read 8,825,852 times
I suggest searching for other threads with zillions of posts on the same subject.
The people here are cranky and won't answer the same question twice.

You'll find lots of brilliant posts - by me - in some of the following:
( I used [ UNM apartment ] as a search criteria.)

If you put "Mortimer" in the search box, you'll really get the best results.

Relocating to UNM for grad school; need housing for under $500

moving to Albuquerque UNM job - 1yr rental

UNM and Albuquerque

Safety of Univ of New Mexico Campus and Surroundings?

My College Grad Getting 1st Job in Albuquerque...i have questions about the area

I know all about it, but I can't answer the same question twice or I'll be stoned - deservedly.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:16 AM

1,443 posts, read 2,875,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

If you put "Mortimer" in the search box, you'll really get the best results.
arrogant are we?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:42 AM

5,554 posts, read 8,825,852 times
We prefer the term "smug."

Old 07-23-2009, 11:06 AM

264 posts, read 709,542 times
Default Apartments near UNM

Hi, I was wondering where some good, safe, affordable apartments were near the campus. I know nothing about Albuquerque and my son is thinking about UNM so im trying to find out as much as I can. Thank yall for any help

Old 07-23-2009, 11:34 AM

2,799 posts, read 4,010,308 times
What's good? Like, crunchy?
What's safe? Secret service agents required?
What's affordable? $1/yr or $10,000/day?

Old 07-23-2009, 05:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,536 times
Hi there!

We just moved here about 6 weeks ago. I work at UNM, and we live just off Central Avenue right opposite the University (near Yale).

Friends have told me this neighborhood is a good choice (near Nob Hill) and fairly safe. So far, I have found it really convenient for work, and there are some fun shops nearby. There are also plenty of folks around, and it seems pretty safe.
The staff at Cheeba Hut (cafe with sandwiches/salads) are nice, and also there is a good coffee shop - Winning Coffee.

I think the "university named" streets just off Central would be great for someone coming to study here. During term time the area would be fairly active, since there are so many students around.

Hope this helps.
Good luck

Old 07-23-2009, 05:26 PM

14 posts, read 24,550 times
The apartments around the intersection of Indian School Rd NE and University are quite convenient (Netherwood Village and Citadel are the two I'm aware of) -- both are within an easy 5 minute or so walk to the Q parking lot, which is serviced by a free UNM shuttle that runs during the day. Once you're on the shuttle, it's less than 10 minutes to the main part of campus. As for safety, Netherwood Village has gated access, though I don't know about Citadel. And as far as affordable goes, well, that depends on your budget. Both are under $600/month if memory serves. There's another thread on this subject that I found to be very helpful when I was looking for apartments earlier: Graduate Student moving to ABQ (apartment complexes, renters, homes)

Last edited by ledeuxiemerenard; 07-23-2009 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: forgot to put the apt names!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:57 PM

264 posts, read 709,542 times
Thanks for yalls responses. Id like to find something affordable as in 500 or less a month and safe as in not in the ghetto etc. Im sorry, excuse my ignorance I just know nothing about Albuquerque and im sure cost of living there is much higher than here (memphis). Safety is a big concern obviously and from what ive heard albuquerque is an alright city, especially compared to here. I guess the area around the campus is good? A place less than a 15 or 20 minute drive to the campus would be best. Yalls help is greatly appreciated!

ledeuxiemerenard- that thread was very helpful thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque