U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2008, 04:49 PM
 
3,068 posts, read 5,229,305 times
Reputation: 1775
Default We Made It!!

and we love it here!! I've never ever been to a place that is so friendly. What a shock to go into stores and be greeted with a big hello and smiles, guess we had too many grumpy folks in Maine. (maybe it was the cold weather)

We've been mostly kicking back and relaxing. Spent a couple of hours checking out Old Town this morning. A very nice, enjoyable area. Bought a huge loaf of delicious, homemade bread there from a very nice woman. Checked out Whole Foods and then went to Smith's.

We drove around last evening and this afternoon, just seeing what there is to see. Found some very interesting garden stores I plant to visit. I need to get myself a book on local plants and flowers, have seen so many beautiful ones.

Tomorrow we are off to the zoo.

I love the lack of humidity! So nice to be outside all day and not have to use my inhaler. It will take me a little while to adjust to the altitude, but that's minor.

I think this move is the smartest thing we've ever done.

My cats survived the trip just fine, though Penny was not too happy to have to be in her crate today when we left the hotel. Grandson loved flying until he got bored. Luckily he fell asleep.

Will share more experiences as they happen.
Alison

P.S. Did I mention I LOVE New Mexico? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2008, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
3,060 posts, read 6,169,787 times
Reputation: 1026
HEY ALISON! Wonderful news! WELCOME TO THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT!!

Make sure the gardening books you buy are about xeriscape gardening.

I have two by Judith Phillips, New Mexico Gardener's Guide and Natural by Design. She is recognized as one of the gurus of New Mexico xeriscape gardening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
1,444 posts, read 2,990,910 times
Reputation: 518
Congrats AlisonL!!! Spectacular news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Corinth, TX
420 posts, read 948,319 times
Reputation: 227
Congratulations AlisonL!!! Welcome to NM. Hope to see you there soon!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 01:18 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
45 posts, read 73,868 times
Reputation: 77
Welcome to New Mexico, Alison.

I had to chuckle when I read about your shock at the friendly people in the stores.

When we first moved here, we instantly had the same impression.
Shock - at how nice we were treated. We sure weren't used to that!

Now, two years later - we are still amazed at how friendly the people are in the stores, etc.

We like the culture and people here very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 05:44 AM
 
1,288 posts, read 2,225,432 times
Reputation: 1494
Welcome to NM, Allison. It looks like you're off to a great start.

You're right about the friendliness factor. I've found that it's contagious; I am a friendlier person after spending 5 years here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
3,060 posts, read 6,169,787 times
Reputation: 1026
I agree!

Everyone here has been so friendly...and it is very apparent ... in stores and restaurants, doctors offices and labs, etc.

I am coming from a very friendly state as well, but I find the people in New Mexico to be on a level above what I am used to.

It's really nice for a newcomer ... and a real nice plus for our state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2008, 12:58 PM
 
Location: South Portland, Maine
2,348 posts, read 3,425,266 times
Reputation: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
and we love it here!! I've never ever been to a place that is so friendly. What a shock to go into stores and be greeted with a big hello and smiles, guess we had too many grumpy folks in Maine. (maybe it was the cold weather)

We've been mostly kicking back and relaxing. Spent a couple of hours checking out Old Town this morning. A very nice, enjoyable area. Bought a huge loaf of delicious, homemade bread there from a very nice woman. Checked out Whole Foods and then went to Smith's.

We drove around last evening and this afternoon, just seeing what there is to see. Found some very interesting garden stores I plant to visit. I need to get myself a book on local plants and flowers, have seen so many beautiful ones.

Tomorrow we are off to the zoo.

I love the lack of humidity! So nice to be outside all day and not have to use my inhaler. It will take me a little while to adjust to the altitude, but that's minor.

I think this move is the smartest thing we've ever done.

My cats survived the trip just fine, though Penny was not too happy to have to be in her crate today when we left the hotel. Grandson loved flying until he got bored. Luckily he fell asleep.

Will share more experiences as they happen.
Alison

P.S. Did I mention I LOVE New Mexico? LOL
hey al, happy for you. I guess I haven't been keeping up with your posts in the Maine forum. So:

what part of NM did you move too? I've been looking into Santa fe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 AM
 
3,068 posts, read 5,229,305 times
Reputation: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
hey al, happy for you. I guess I haven't been keeping up with your posts in the Maine forum. So:

what part of NM did you move too? I've been looking into Santa fe
Hey flly! Good to see you. We moved to Albuquerque and love it here. Its absolutely gorgeous. Going house hunting (rental) today.
Hope to get to Santa Fe shortly.
Come out to the southwest and join us. Its wonderful here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 10:17 AM
 
1,764 posts, read 3,761,706 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I have two by Judith Phillips, New Mexico Gardener's Guide and Natural by Design. She is recognized as one of the gurus of New Mexico xeriscape gardening.
Congrats on your move to NM!

I would 2nd books by Judith Phillips; we used the NM Gardener's Guide and it was a great, great resource for getting to know and appreciate NM's plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top