Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 03:23 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,709,383 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity what would be your guys "ideal downtown?" What would be the point where you say its perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:40 PM

702 posts, read 2,723,149 times
I recently moved here and am used to city living. I toured what I could in the downtown area and it wasn't for me. Downtown needs more jobs for professionals and with that interest in living in the area will increase. This will then lead to more businesses (cafes, shops, boutiques, etc) in the area as they'll have a client base. Put all of this together and you'll have the energy that downtown currently lacks.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM

163 posts, read 308,036 times
Casitas De Colores in downtown ABQ taking shape and going vertical.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM

60 posts, read 158,548 times
Albuquerque's Downtown is attractive, lively, and chep to live. I agree with EnjoyEP's comment on the Arena/Events Center. If the city were to shell out the cash for that, we would have a huge building along with an arena which would make us look as big as we really are.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progress505/575 View Post
Albuquerque's Downtown is attractive, lively, and chep to live. I agree with EnjoyEP's comment on the Arena/Events Center. If the city were to shell out the cash for that, we would have a huge building along with an arena which would make us look as big as we really are.
Yeah, but the problem is the city doesn't have the money to shell out for it at this time. Even when we did there were those who questioned the need for an arena in the first place. Things like building an arena can't be done overnight, they often have to surpass many obstacles to come to fruition, especially when it's by public initiative where everybody has a right to have their say.

Right now the biggest obstacle is money.

Will the citizens of Albuquerque really vote for money for an arena downtown when we've barely been balancing our city budget the past few years with pay cuts, hiring freezes, etc? I'd like to see an arena downtown sooner rather than later, but I'm also in touch with our city's current economic reality.

It is, however, forecast that the City of Albuquerque will again start having a surplus in revenue this year, so perhaps the day when we will again have a debate over the merits of an arena without money being a non-starter will be near.

Here's an article from the Journal earlier this year that goes into the mayor's proposed budget for the next fiscal year and which mentions the expected increases in revenue from gross receipts which suggest the city will start seeing better days economically soon:

» Mayor’s budget has 1% raises | ABQ Journal

Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 PM

It looks like the developer of the proposed downtown grocery store wants to double it's size.

Geltmore Inc. proposes doubling size of Downtown grocery store - Albuquerque Business First

Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,865 times
At the bottom of the above article a saw the following.

http://m.bizjournals.com/albuquerque...buquerque.html

Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM

350 posts, read 768,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTymeABQ View Post
It looks like the developer of the proposed downtown grocery store wants to double it's size.

Geltmore Inc. proposes doubling size of Downtown grocery store - Albuquerque Business First
The fences are up on the property now. Site preparation soon?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 AM

I can't wait to see it take shape.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 PM

350 posts, read 768,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTymeABQ View Post
I can't wait to see it take shape.
Me too. I hope they keep the final construction safe and clean for downtown families to use/enjoy. If it just becomes another bum-infested downtown business, that would suck. I saw a homeless guy shooting up on the steps of Salazar and Sons this morning. His buddy was peeing on the side of the building. Disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque