Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,590 times

Advertisements

Hmm, interesting. I was hoping for a Sprout's as well, since Downtown is just a hop and a skip from me as opposed to the one on Lomas and San Mateo. I cook from scratch and am mostly vegan, so I actually save more money shopping at Sprout's than I do shopping at Smith's and other stores. I know my experiences and diet aren't really the same as everyone else's, but I think Sprout's would be a good fit for that area (and for me). I still think a Smith's would be best, I don't know how large the one on Coal and Yale is, but they pack a lot into the small space. For the most part, I can find anything there I'd find at a standard sized Smith's with few exceptions.

For that space, I doubt someone like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods would move in. I'm betting you're right about it being a "no-name" grocer that takes the space, though I'll probably hold out and hope for a Sprout's or a Smith's at the very least.

As for the Dollar Tree on 4th, it'd be better to have one closer to the urban core where the Rapid Ride Lines go. If I were taking the bus to Dollar Tree, I'd take the 766 to the one on San Mateo/Zuni or just walk to the Family Dollar on Yale. I've been asked a couple times on the 766 and the 66 where the nearest Dollar Tree stores are and generally point to the one on San Mateo. Like ABQalex said, having one where there are fewer bus transfers or where you can eliminate the bus altogether is the ideal. The more goods and services found in Downtown and the immediate area, the easier it is to attract people to the area. I do also know that 4th street to Montaño and across the river was a proposed Rapid Ride Line a couple years ago... I wish those new Rapid Ride Lines had been implemented. Ho-hum.

Whatever the store will be will still be better than nothing, assuming they actually find a grocer to inhabit the space and don't end up having to lease it to Staples or something..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:29 PM

163 posts, read 308,048 times
Work has begun at the Silver Moon Lodge.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 AM

I found this rendering of the proposed downtown grocery.

205 Silver Avenue SW, Albuquerque, NM, 87102 - Neighborhood Center Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 PM

295 posts, read 591,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTymeABQ View Post
Allllllllright! Let's break ground!!!!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Things looking for downtown ABQ.

Things looking up for downtown - YouTube

Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTymeABQ View Post
I was hoping for something more inspired design-wise. In this rendering it looks like an elongated version of all those cheap-looking cookie-cutter hotels that have proliferated in areas of the city such as the airport and the North I-25 corridor.

You'd think they would've at least added some cheap pizazz in the way of using vibrant paint colors like in the other recent projects around it and in keeping with the "Zona de Colores" name and theme that has been tacked for that emerging area of Downtown.

I just hope it comes out better than the rendering makes it seem.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:30 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,590 times
Color would be nice for sure but anything is better than a dirt lot! It will be nice to see that area come together.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:03 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,328 times
Screw the small buildings lets see some Residential/commercial Condos/Apartment Skyscrapers, not some kiddie 3 story buildings

Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 AM

91 posts, read 142,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Screw the small buildings lets see some Residential/commercial Condos/Apartment Skyscrapers, not some kiddie 3 story buildings

I agree with you but the problem is that until residents of ABQ stop dismissing downtown or having a major fear factor don't expect tall condo towers. Another thing is cost. I'm from Indianapolis and most of the apartments that were developed have been under 15 stories. Now there are a few that are planned that are about as tall as the Bank of Albuquerque building. Indy also had a horrible reputation downtown, until the city built arenas, expanded the convention center, and built "cultural trails". With ABQ residents refusing to even have the Isotopes stadium downtown, many businesses refusing to locate there, the lack of vision with city leaders, and residents refusing to even go downtown, I doubt you see mega structures. When these things change developers will invest huge sums of money to build towers. I do have to say that Peterson Properties is turning the tide and getting businesses to locate in the Simms building.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 PM

Progress on the ABQ Convention Center.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque