U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2008, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
8,026 posts, read 11,128,096 times
Reputation: 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Cathy ....

.... Austin's Leslie Cochran ....

If you are going to reference something requiring specific local knowledge, please add a cite or explanation.

I was courteous and gave you a picture of Don.

Leslie Cochran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<Jeeze!> I gotta do everything.
We keep you busy........LOL!! Thanks for the link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2008, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque
24 posts, read 48,557 times
Reputation: 16
Okay, now that we've settled the Don Schrader thing, has anyone seen this Billy Joel looking guy walking around town, shoplifting from gas stations and being a nuisance? I'm just saying because if you see him come into your place of business, be aware that he is a shoplifter and will trash your store with candy wrappers and empty cups!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Burque!
3,696 posts, read 6,072,491 times
Reputation: 727
Check... Billy Joel homeless guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 AM
 
Location: 38 38' 45" N, -90 20' 08" W
7,646 posts, read 10,703,434 times
Reputation: 6159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
mike0421 warns:

> No, Mortimer, it is you that is wrong.

So you reserve the right to decide who gets a beatdown? For what they get a beatdown?
When they get a beatdown? How hard a beatdown?
By whom they get a beatdown? When it stops?

.... stuff like that?

Sig Heil mike
I guess I am in the minority on this thread, in fact, the extreme minority. I'm rather surprised. I wonder if anyone else who disagrees with me has small children.


Guyoutwest:

My father-in-law is bi-polar. I've known the man for almost 20 years. He would never, ever, do anything the likes of what this troublemaker has purported to do.

Perhaps my angst has been mis-directed, and instead should be more concentrated on our system of government, because this guy really shouldn't be free. He should be permanently incarcerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Burque!
3,696 posts, read 6,072,491 times
Reputation: 727
All he is doing is holding a sign and wearing a bikini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 AM
 
Location: 38 38' 45" N, -90 20' 08" W
7,646 posts, read 10,703,434 times
Reputation: 6159
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
All he is doing is holding a sign and wearing a bikini.
I thought he was naked and urinating in public. That was the original information I received.

Like I said previously, I have no problem with protesting in an orderly and peaceable manner. It's when he engages in lewd behavior to me when he crosses the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Burque!
3,696 posts, read 6,072,491 times
Reputation: 727
Can't say I've seen him engage in any lewd behavior... I'm sure it's possible that he has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Metro Milwaukee, WI
3,058 posts, read 7,771,716 times
Reputation: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I thought he was naked and urinating in public. That was the original information I received.
Yeah, nope, neither of these.

He doesn't wear a bikini, it is essentially a loin cloth. While scantily clad, he is no more scantily clad really than the scantily clad photos of women you see all the time everywhere (minus the top covering of course); it is just bizarre because a) it is a male, and b) he is dressed like that virtually everywhere.

Having said that, with two small children, I wouldn't be particularly bothered if they saw him. Again, because he is always covered up where it counts. He's a bizarre guy, but as far as I can tell, not in any way an "exhibitionist".

Also, he only *talks* about the virtues of urine...he doesn't urinate in public, etc.

An odd fellow, and not one I would obviously like my kids to subscribe to in terms of morales, but not a public nuisance either really.
----------------
Anyway though folks...let's try to stay calm and friendly here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 AM
 
Location: 38 38' 45" N, -90 20' 08" W
7,646 posts, read 10,703,434 times
Reputation: 6159
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Yeah, nope, neither of these.

He doesn't wear a bikini, it is essentially a loin cloth. While scantily clad, he is no more scantily clad really than the scantily clad photos of women you see all the time everywhere (minus the top covering of course); it is just bizarre because a) it is a male, and b) he is dressed like that virtually everywhere.

Having said that, with two small children, I wouldn't be particularly bothered if they saw him. Again, because he is always covered up where it counts. He's a bizarre guy, but as far as I can tell, not in any way an "exhibitionist".

Also, he only *talks* about the virtues of urine...he doesn't urinate in public, etc.

An odd fellow, and not one I would obviously like my kids to subscribe to in terms of morales, but not a public nuisance either really.
----------------
Anyway though folks...let's try to stay calm and friendly here!!
Thanks for the the clarification EnjoyEP. I wish to retract my initial remarks, as the info I received is different from what you are clarifying.

I am not trying to pick a fight, really, I am not. But if the initial info was true, I'd have a hard time containing myself if I saw him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque
5,554 posts, read 8,815,419 times
Reputation: 2427
mike0421 re-directed:

> ... system of government, because this guy really shouldn't be free.
> He should be permanently incarcerated.

I completely agree with mike for many people I see on the street. I just disagree with meting out punishment on a whim if there is and has been no threat and/or bodily harm.

As for people needing incarceration, Don is not one of them. He's just an eccentric. He support himself (nude model for UNM art classes) and knows what it takes to survive on very little. I respect him since he is eloquent and thoughtful even though I disagree with him on about 80% of what he says. He's not a hypocrite, just a whack-job.

He'd walk around nude if he could, but he can't so he doesn't.

Many of the homeless/vagrant population around UNM need, at least, to be monitored.
Some need to be incarcerated fully and some partially.

Liberal definition/myth of homeless people:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They're just like us and but for the grace of God, that could be us. Give them a hand and soon they'll be up on their feet and productive members of society. They're just like you and me.

Conservative definition/myth of homeless people:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They're just too lazy to work and should be jailed with the drug dealers and rapists until they learn to support themselves. They could be just like you or me, but choose not to.

Living in the Ghetto, I got to know (by appearance and habits, not personally) many dozens of them. Most are simply incapable of ever holding a job. Their brains, for whatever reason are not and will never be up to it.

Some are capable of basic personal hygiene and would have enough sense to return to a room in an institution if they were let out on a daily basis.

Some need to be confined in a humane manner so that they will not wander about and destroy things as described in the original post.

Back in the 1980's the US government decided that it would save money to just let all of them out to fend for themselves. I would argue that was a mistake on many levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top