U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:56 AM

3,058 posts, read 7,946,617 times
Good advice presented here thus far.

The biggest consideration you have here is whether you want to live in a fairly big city (Albuquerque is a city of 500,000 people with a metropolitan area of about 850,000) or a small city (Las Cruces is hovering with getting to right around 100,000).

Of course, living in a bigger or a smaller city is really just a matter of personal preference. For some, a city of 100,000 is too big. For others (like me), a city of 100,000 is smaller than ideal. For some, a city of 500,000 is too big; for others, too small. For me, ABQ's size of 500K / 850K metro is pretty much ideal.

One nice thing you have in Las Cruces is being about 40 minutes via car to El Paso, so you aren't entirely far from a big city.

You haven't mentioned what you / your husband do for a living / jobs, but as others have mentioned, largely due to sheer size, you'll have many more jobs and a wider array to choose from in ABQ. However, depending upon what you do for work, jobs may be fairly doable in 'Cruces too.

Las Cruces' winter weather is indeed milder than ABQ's, however, ABQ's is pretty darn mild compared to the upper 3/4 of the US. ABQ's winter temps are like a slightly cooler temperature version of a northern Alabama or a slightly warmer version of Louisville, KY.

As others have stated, my gut feeling from your more brief, general post would be to lean towards ABQ. You'll have more jobs/employers, more parks, more options, etc. - the size likely would be your friend. LC is a very nice city, but without knowing these cities strongly, ABQ may be easier to settle into because of the options.

Housing would be doable in either city. It seems that house prices are fairly similar between the two cities...maybe an ever-so-slight notch cheaper in LC, but not too significantly.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 AM

171 posts, read 456,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Good advice presented here thus far.

The biggest consideration you have here is whether you want to live in a fairly big city (Albuquerque is a city of 500,000 people with a metropolitan area of about 850,000) or a small city (Las Cruces is hovering with getting to right around 100,000).

Of course, living in a bigger or a smaller city is really just a matter of personal preference. For some, a city of 100,000 is too big. For others (like me), a city of 100,000 is smaller than ideal. For some, a city of 500,000 is too big; for others, too small. For me, ABQ's size of 500K / 850K metro is pretty much ideal.

One nice thing you have in Las Cruces is being about 40 minutes via car to El Paso, so you aren't entirely far from a big city.

You haven't mentioned what you / your husband do for a living / jobs, but as others have mentioned, largely due to sheer size, you'll have many more jobs and a wider array to choose from in ABQ. However, depending upon what you do for work, jobs may be fairly doable in 'Cruces too.

Las Cruces' winter weather is indeed milder than ABQ's, however, ABQ's is pretty darn mild compared to the upper 3/4 of the US. ABQ's winter temps are like a slightly cooler temperature version of a northern Alabama or a slightly warmer version of Louisville, KY.

As others have stated, my gut feeling from your more brief, general post would be to lean towards ABQ. You'll have more jobs/employers, more parks, more options, etc. - the size likely would be your friend. LC is a very nice city, but without knowing these cities strongly, ABQ may be easier to settle into because of the options.

Housing would be doable in either city. It seems that house prices are fairly similar between the two cities...maybe an ever-so-slight notch cheaper in LC, but not too significantly.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. My husband is in the culinary field and I will be in the legal field. (Paralegal) I have also held many other kinds of jobs.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 PM

3,379 posts, read 2,476,196 times
If you like a small town atmosphere with no downtown but a booming economy then Las Cruces. LC also has warmer weather, barely any rain or snow and ABQ has slightly more snow and rain but regardless the weather is great either way. If your more of a city person then I'd say ABQ. ABQ has more to do, more jobs, more places to live and is still fairly cheap. The violence within ABQ is double most other cities but the good news is its going down faster then any other city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque