U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2008, 04:15 PM

7,067 posts, read 7,237,721 times

Advertisements

In most of Albuquerqe, #1 and #4 are mutually exclusive. The closest you'll find is the area north of Lomas between Girard and Washington.

Then again, the safety issue is blown WAY out of proportion on this board but Sigourney79 lays it out best in my opinion.

ABQConvict
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:47 PM

5,471 posts, read 14,396,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Zip 87111. Namely, in the Overlook Apartments area (Eubank Blvd. and Academy Blvd. intersection roughly).

Semi-of-a-more suburban feel than the Nob Hill area, but not really. Very safe, yet not hoity-toity rich. Close to the Sandias - incredible views. Nice parks within walking distance. A few cool bars (Horse N Angel / Barley Room) in walking distance along with tons of grocery stores, convenience stores, etc.

Go ye, lad, to the area I am hereby describing and ye shant be disappointed!!! I assure you.
I have a feeling this could be EXACTLY what I have in mind. I've done some snooping around via google street view and it appears like there's a lot of open space along Academy Rd. I also saw the mountain view you're talking about. Thanks for the suggestion, EnjoyEP.

Quote:
Otherwise, check out some rentals around the ABQ Uptown development, in, (logically), the Uptown area of ABQ. The ABQ Uptown development is at roughly the intersection of Menaul and Louisiana...just a hare south.
On my last trip to ABQ I saw a whole bunch of construction going on in Uptown, just east of the new outdoor mall. That actually could be the answer right there. I'd bet though that those apartments when they're finished being built will be quite pricey.

Quote:
Finally, there is an apartment complex - the Pinnacles (spelling??? - old computer w/o spell check) - right up in the foothills of the Sandias just east of Tramway and just north of Montgomery Blvd. Unbelievable scenery / surroundings. Would be decent to look at.
Chances are I drove right past it when I went down Tramway going from the tramway to the hotel in the uptown area. I remember that whole stretch of road looked nice. I remember quite a few pedestrian/bicycle bridges going over Tramway Blvd, which would be a big plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In most of Albuquerqe, #1 and #4 are mutually exclusive. The closest you'll find is the area north of Lomas between Girard and Washington.
That's what I was afraid of hearing. Although it seems like everybody has a different opinion on what's safe and what's interesting.

I had a feeling that when I asked my question most people were going to recommend something in the Northeast Heights quadrant of the city. From my understanding the NE Heights actually contains the bulk of Albuquerque-- is that correct? Not to start any more east vs. west side wars on this forum, but given my criteria, especially #3, is living on the west side (specifically the northwest side, north of I-40) out? Looking at a map, it looks like there are two "west sides," one between I-25 and the Rio Grande (is this considered "the valley"?) and one between the Rio grande and the west mesa. Do either of these meet my criteria? I'm almost certain that the northeast Heights area (and specifically pretty deep northeast within that sector) is what I'm looking at, especially since I would be renting an apartment, not buying a home-- but just want to check.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,478,620 times
Growing-up on the East side of the river I am partial to it... but now that I'm looking to move back to ABQ as an adult... i find that the housing prices on the West can't be beat (and it's newer construction).

Here's a link to the ABQ Uptown Apartments... it has a really cool time lapse video of the construction.

OxBlue Pro Construction Cameras: ABQ Uptown Village Apartments

The prices are a bit high, but the location is killer!
ForRent.com has them profiled:
$950 = 700 sq. ft.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:24 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,525,658 times
Well the west side like upper coors, would be nice there building a crap load of condos and apartments on the montano plaza on coors and riverside across from hastings.. mmmm or paradise hills, thats were i now live and dammn! i love it here!!
those new apartment/condos next to the cottonwood mall! those are nice too!!! all of the upper west side is freakin great! and its safe too safe i must say haha

Old 08-06-2008, 12:22 PM

7,067 posts, read 7,237,721 times
Westside refers to west of the river and has nothing to do with the quadrants. The part of the city in the NW quadrant between I-25 and the Rio Grande is called the north valley for the most part but also contains part of downtown and various neighborhoods that aren't considered valley such as Martineztown.

As is repeated often on this board, rent for a few months and explore the different neighborhoods before you get serious about settling down. You will be much happier with what you end up with.

ABQConvict

Old 08-06-2008, 02:43 PM

5,471 posts, read 14,396,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Westside refers to west of the river and has nothing to do with the quadrants. The part of the city in the NW quadrant between I-25 and the Rio Grande is called the north valley for the most part but also contains part of downtown and various neighborhoods that aren't considered valley such as Martineztown.

As is repeated often on this board, rent for a few months and explore the different neighborhoods before you get serious about settling down. You will be much happier with what you end up with.

ABQConvict
Thanks for the explanation, ABQConvict. As I said before, I'll be renting an apartment no matter where I go; I'm not sure where I gave the impression that I was worried about buying? Being able to buy property some time within the next 5-10 years is a goal of mine, but that's way down the road. Remember, I'm 22 years old, just starting out, and no money.

Are there any bicycle bridges crossing over the Rio Grande? Or wide bike lanes on any of the roads that go across?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:59 PM

19 posts, read 41,495 times
Rybert, I said south of I-40 and west of Coors.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:16 PM

3,695 posts, read 6,478,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigourney79 View Post
Rybert, I said south of I-40 and west of Coors.
Duh... slaps forehead.

SE Rocks!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:22 PM

19 posts, read 23,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
I would recommend the Sandia Heights, Far NE Heights, Academy, and Uptown areas. I love the Westside but I definitely think this area will suit you best with convenient access to most areas of the city by bike, car, or public transportation.
I'm all over the ABQ metro area for my job, and I live off Coors, north of I-40. My mileage compared to other coworkers, who, also, travel, is much lower. I can get to the far NE heights in 25 min, as well as pretty much anywhere else in the metro area. I'm glad I live so close to I-40. Makes my job a lot easier. (Of course, I schedule my appointments outside of rush hour!)

Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,065,890 times
I fourth finmqa's suggestion. Sandia Heights (East of Tramway) is especially close to bike trails, very safe (the further north, the better off), is pretty much close to every major arterie in town (from Central to Paseo) and has a bunch of native vegitation. I noticed you kinda passed over this suggestion, but you owe it to yourself to seriously consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque