Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 55,491 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for input on the best way to travel (in August) from Albuquerque to St. Louis (2 women). Which is the better route - through Texas/Oklahoma through Oklahoma City or up through Kansas through Wichita? Anything interesting to see on the way? Which road is better to travel - I-40 or US-54? Is Oklahoma City a decent place to stay or is there a better town nearby? Is Wichita a decent place to stay or is there a better town nearby? I'd also appreciate input on the best (i.e. safe and clean) part of town and/or motels to stay in. Not looking for fancy - just clean and safe. We are just trying to get to our destination. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 04:39 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I made that trip twice this year. Drove once and flew once. Gas prices made it cheaper to fly but the car rental cost was the killer.

I drove I-40 and I-44 and there is plenty to see and do along the way. Don't miss Cadilac Ranch just west of Amarillo. If you have time, see Palo Duro canyon south of Amarillo (about 25 miles). Oklahoma City is a nice town...go to Brick Town for a night out...they have a nice minor league ballpark. Then there is the world class Cowboy Museum and there is also the memorial for the Oklahoma City bombing. East of Oklahoma City there are turnpikes but usually the traffic is ok and it will cost you about $8... but worth it. Tulsa is a nice town but be careful not to get lost....I always do. They have the Gilcrease Museum (Western & American art) and Oral Roberts University. The worlds largest McDonalds is east of Tulsa....over the highway. In Missouri there is Joplin and Springfield and then not too much. Mansfield Missouri has the Laura Ingalls Wilder home (Little House books). Branson would be a side trip south of Springfield but not very close. Then there is Fort Leonard Wood, Rolla and Saint James (look for wineries) followed by a bunch of small towns leading into St. Louis.

There is a lot of "Mother Road" stuff all along this route so if you like to see old motels and old gas pumps before they are all gone this is the way to go. Probably lots of antique stores in some of those small towns.

My experience with Highway 54 is that there would be lots of local traffic getting on and off and always in front of you....and not much to see.

Either way, expect hot and humid weather punctuated by huge storms that are a sight to see sometimes.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:27 PM

21 posts, read 93,535 times
I live in hutchinson ks...about 35-45 min. away from wichita and ive made the drive to albuquerque from here twice in the past few months as im moving in a week or so.

We take 54 down through liberal into guymon oklahoma, instead of staying on 54 though and going through dalhart and into albuquerque on I40, we take 64 from guymon to clayton NM and then keep going to I25.

Its a little longer but oh well. For me living in hutchinson either way I go there isnt a whole lot to see and going into new mexico from north to south is much much more scenic than going in from the east to west.
You can see beautiful mountains and scenery and the sky. Not to mention you can go through santa fe and stop there for a while.

That is just my opinion though! Have a good trip

Old 08-07-2008, 10:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
I have driven this a few times myself and I would avoid Oklahoma at all costs and go the speed limit in Texas theres cops everywhere!!! Oklahoma is just extremely boring and you will run into this turnpike that is just a pain in the booty!!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:04 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
I don't think Oklahoma's worth avoiding on this journey.

Further, toll roads exist in Kansas too, so you wouldn't necessarily avoid toll roads either way.

Likewise, I don't think Oklahoma is more boring than Kansas. Maybe not more exciting, but it's not worse.

My vote, I-40/I-44. Easily the most direct way. Most stops available, most scenery. Speeds are better than on US54, which is far more susceptible to a major traffic event, and your odds of getting rescued in a timely manner are far better on the interstates if any car trouble happens (100+ degrees can sometimes make that happen).

Likewise, I thought Kansas' toll roads were a bit creepier than Oklahoma's. Every hour on a Kansas toll road between Wichita and points northeast, it's the same gas station and same McDonalds.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:41 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

Further, toll roads exist in Kansas too, so you wouldn't necessarily avoid toll roads either way.

Likewise, I don't think Oklahoma is more boring than Kansas. Maybe not more exciting, but it's not worse.

My vote, I-40/I-44. Easily the most direct way. Most stops available, most scenery.
Agreed fully on this advice by Zoidberg...I have made the drive several times.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:42 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

My vote, I-40/I-44. Easily the most direct way. Most stops available, most scenery. Speeds are better than on US54, which is far more susceptible to a major traffic event, and your odds of getting rescued in a timely manner are far better on the interstates if any car trouble happens (100+ degrees can sometimes make that happen).

Likewise, I thought Kansas' toll roads were a bit creepier than Oklahoma's. Every hour on a Kansas toll road between Wichita and points northeast, it's the same gas station and same McDonalds.
That is creepy. I have never been through Kansas so I can't say what Kansas is like. I have taken 40 through but I have also taken 25 up to 80 east to get to Chicago and that is pretty boring as well. Colorado is very nice but once you get to the NE part of Colorado heading into Nebraska it gets boring. A lot of corn lets put it that way. I would suggest doing your trip over a few days, it makes it a lot easier.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:33 PM

6 posts, read 55,491 times
Default Thanks everyone for your comments

They were very helpful. I took the information you gave me and did some of my own research. Now I'm better prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque