Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:42 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,903,968 times

Advertisements

rybert is right, growth works with a snowball effect. However, there are ways to curtail sprawl. To do this, it takes a more urban core (ie Downtown with places like Packard, ABQHigh, Anasazi) and more city infill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,961,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
While having ABQ grow does excite me. How can we grow faster than Vegas. First off we haven't secured the water for growth like that. Secondly, while we are gaining exposure nationwide, I don't think ABQ has the same draw as Phoenix, Vegas, or Austin. I'm not doubting your predictions I just wonder how do we forecast that? What indicators show ABQ is eclipsing other fast growing cities? As for 2007 growth numbers we still trail Boise, Phoenix, Tucson, Vegas, Salt Lake City, and other cities in California, Texas, and Florida.

I've been following Mesa Del Sol and Suncal closely and their projections for full build out are at least 50 years out. If this were Phoenix or Vegas it would only take 15-25 years to build out those projects.

This is from the FAQ's page on Mesa Del Sol's website. They eventually plan to build 37,000 homes. Here is the rate they are proposing to build at.

"Q2. How many houses do you plan to build in the first neighborhood?
A. During the first year of residential development, Mesa del Sol plans to build approximately 400 housing units. Plans are to build 400-500 units in each subsequent year. "
FAQ's (http://www.mesadelsolnm.com/The-Big-Picture-FAQs.aspx#Q2 - broken link)

If you take 37,000 and divide that by 500 homes per yer, that would mean a total buildout of 74 years. When they propose 50, they are taking into account that as the city grows so will the amount of homes they build each year. I'm sure Suncal is projecting something similar.

I honestly think you have no idea what you are talking about? Albuquerque is Americas 2nd Fastest growing city behind Atlanta according to CNN, we have also figured that out on our own, i dont know if you know this.. but i work for the city of albuquerque's planning division AGIS, belive me i dont mean to be rude in any way.. but i know alot more than you do, it took me awhile and are team to come up with these predictions, 200,000+ homes are planned to be built in the west gate heights area.. i dont know if you have seen the project maps but its going to be outrageous.. litterally. It is my job to take months and study and oversight these projects and predictions and ever since i was hired in 2004 we have been right on mostly all of our predictions.. hitting 1.3 million before 2030 is the city's main goal, and belive me it will happen.. it also gets me mad when outsiders on these threads say they know more than me dispite the fact i was born and raised here. You can show me website and sources for all the crap developments coming up.. but i know more than a website or media sources.. its my job

f.y.i after this whole downfall in the economy tapers off, watch albuquerque GROW.. we know how much, when and who..

Old 09-01-2008, 06:32 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,187,891 times
Why are theses developments "okay" with the planning department. We don't have the water for all these people!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Why are theses developments "okay" with the planning department. We don't have the water for all these people!
Yea we do! Dont let the city fool you, were just conserving for the future thats all,.. bud we have muncho agua aqui

The more you conserve the better for the future, albuquerque seems to be the only smart southwestern city that actually doest use as much and conserves..

Old 09-01-2008, 06:43 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,187,891 times
What are you talking about?

We're still taking more water out of the aquifer than the recharge rate. Brine water doesn't count.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
What are you talking about?

We're still taking more water out of the aquifer than the recharge rate. Brine water doesn't count.
Dood, belive me we still have plenty of water, for thousands of years!
I have grass all in my yard.. honestly to tell ya the truth i really dont conserve much water my self hahah oppps..

Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 PM

713 posts, read 1,840,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I have grass all in my yard.. honestly to tell ya the truth i really dont conserve much water my self hahah oppps..
Crap. Just trying to justify to yourself why you have a lawn you probably over water. Nice.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 PM

946 posts, read 3,256,831 times
Quote:
Bradly, you have made some surprising statements on this thread. Can you cite any on-line planning documents which would provide us more information on topics such as planned growth, water supply?

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 AM

710 posts, read 2,954,782 times
Quote:
I honestly think you have no idea what you are talking about? Albuquerque is Americas 2nd Fastest growing city behind Atlanta according to CNN, we have also figured that out on our own, i dont know if you know this.. but i work for the city of albuquerque's planning division AGIS, belive me i dont mean to be rude in any way.. but i know alot more than you do, it took me awhile and are team to come up with these predictions, 200,000+ homes are planned to be built in the west gate heights area.. i dont know if you have seen the project maps but its going to be outrageous.. litterally. It is my job to take months and study and oversight these projects and predictions and ever since i was hired in 2004 we have been right on mostly all of our predictions.. hitting 1.3 million before 2030 is the city's main goal, and belive me it will happen.. it also gets me mad when outsiders on these threads say they know more than me dispite the fact i was born and raised here. You can show me website and sources for all the crap developments coming up.. but i know more than a website or media sources.. its my job

f.y.i after this whole downfall in the economy tapers off, watch albuquerque GROW.. we know how much, when and who..
I'm a native Albuquerquean as well, so get off your high horse. I also have connections with the folks at AED, and other organizations around the city. You guys can plan for all the houses in the world but without jobs none of them will get built. Albuquerque today is not the media darling it was 2 years ago, things have slowed and they'll continue to slow for the foreseable future. And yes we already know where you work, that has been the basis for all of your arguments.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,525,754 times
Curious as to where do these people get their info that albuquerque is the 2nd fastest growing metro in the USA? Anybody can make that claim for any city or state in the USA so where's the ''Official'' documentation?

Well here's mine.
US Census Bureau US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/012242.html - broken link) July/10/2008 Release

Cnn Money.com U.S.: New Orleans is nation's fastest growing big city - Jul. 10, 2008 july/10/2008

Neither of these lists by CNN or the US Census Bureau show albuquerque in their top 10 list in population total numbers or population percentage gains.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 09-02-2008 at 12:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque