U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,902,513 times

Advertisements

About those job index salary levels that you mentioned ...ABQ is 88 ...NYC is 141 ....Los Angeles 125 ....well you "have" to make more money in a city like New York ....NYC real estate prices are through the roof ....and like EnjoyEP stated ...money isn't everything ....there are "other" ways to make money other than just salary ....if you're smart there are alot of things you can invest in so that down the road you don't have to rely just on your salary alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 11:06 AM

56 posts, read 72,614 times
I grew up in Abq, and have a love hate relationship with it to this very day. I love the fact that you can drive a bit any direction and get to where you can't see a soul. Mesa FTW! I love the food, the looks, the weather, most of the people. Adding up the years there and in RR, i've spent the majority of my life around there and don't regret it. While I can't live there now (health reasons, linked to pollution and altitude problem make it impossible) the once in a while that I get to travel back through, makes me remember how much I love it. I still remember balloons landing in Alameda Elementary school yard (in the 70s), spending time at the river bottom, and runnin the clear ditch with my friends. It was great.

However, as stated before, you gotta still watch out for yourself. I was living back in Rio Rancho in the 90s, and was helping a friend move. During one trip, a guy and his best friend were driving towards My friends new home. At one 4 way stop, 1 person tried to go out of turn, another person flipped em off, they both got out of their vehicles to 'settle' the issue. Well one of them shot the best friend I speak of in the chest. His friend jumped out of the moving van (he was following the first person who was driving a truckload of stuff) . He jumped out, ran up, took the gun away from the shooter and beat him down with it, in the process getting shot twice, once in the leg, and losing part of a finger.

Have also witnessed huge fistfights, been threatened with knifings, and been told "You'd better move or i'll bust a cap in you" and the person was serious.

But, the only time i've been robbed was in small town Sheridan wyoming. Robbed as in "gimme all your money." Had 2 high dollar bicycles stolen there. Things can happen anywhere.

While its true i've had more "events" happen to me while in the Albuquerque area, I think that can be attributed to the sheer number of years lived there, as well as forced circumstances. Some of the public schools there suck. (or did, don't know about now) Starting in first grade, I got a crash course in self preservation, and damage mitigation. *grin*

Having had some experience in Denver (I lived in Ft Collins for a while too, and spent some of my time in Denver) its EXACTLY the same. **** off the wrong person, things could get bad. Be cautious and pay attention to surroundings and people? You should be fine anywhere.

Oh! Forgot one of my favorite things about albuquerque. How do you get lost? With the mountains and the river as guides, with just a short bit of exploring its VERY difficult to get lost. You may not be able to find a specific place of business, but can always find home.

Last edited by Sturgis; 08-22-2008 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Forgot the other thing I like

Old 08-23-2008, 12:22 AM

5,470 posts, read 14,300,346 times
Man alive, has this been one crazy week! I think the answer has finally come to me, which way to go. I'm sticking with my original plan, which has been my plan for several years anyway-- I'm moving back home to Denver as soon as I graduate from this program. I think Albuquerque is one of my favorite cities and I think I could be very happy living there. However, I decided I don't want to move there "on purpose" as of this point in time; it just doesn't "feel right" right now. I am going to continue to have Albuquerque on my radar screen and if I hear of a special opportunity there or one of the firms I interview with mentions something about their Albuquerque office, my eyes will light up, believe me. And I look forward to visiting Albuquerque again-- perhaps even as soon as this winter-- to get an idea of what the city is like during the coldest time of the year. There's still a high possibility I may want to move to Albuquerque even as early as a few years down the road. I appreciate everybody's help and advice on this forum. I want to give special thanks to EnjoyEP, yukon, ABQSunSeeker, and many, many others (sorry if I didn't name you... I'd have to list practically everybody on the forum) for helping me think things through. And don't think this is a goodbye either-- it's not-- I'm sure I'll continue to be on here on this forum from time to time. I even have some more photos on my camera flash drive that I want to post. Just want to thank the people of this message board for making this such a great forum!

ps-- Go LOBOS!!! ... and ISOTOPES!!! (and Broncos!)

Old 08-23-2008, 12:58 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,484,617 times
I guess for some people its different, but i have never incountered any problems in Albuquerque, its funny when people think Albuquerque is dangerous or "ganged out", when most of the high schools now in Albuquerque have higher anglo student population making things awhole lot different..because growing up in albuquerque there was nothing but chicanos haha, i love this place with a passion...mmm there is just something about it that just makes you stay

Old 08-23-2008, 06:38 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,045,307 times
vegaspilgrim, its been a fun ride on your spiritual self-finding journey on what feels right to you. Enjoy yourself back home in denver, but if you ever get tired of it, remember that little big city down south 400 miles or so.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:25 PM

441 posts, read 622,948 times
Love the pix and the variety you chose to shoot...closing soon in Placitas and can't wait to make the move!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 PM

3,059 posts, read 6,287,475 times
vegaspilgrim -- I agree with abqsunport. We have enjoyed your journey, and I think you have made the best decision for you at this particular time.

And ABQ is always there as a possibility for the future.

I am glad you will still be posting here and sharing more of your pictures with us.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:16 PM

5,470 posts, read 14,300,346 times
Thanks, Towanda. I'm sure you saw my pictures I posted to the New Mexico and Santa Fe forums as well. Keep in mind though, in terms of "decisions," nothing is for certain yet... not until I sign the dotted line on the employment contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque