Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,151 times

Advertisements

My poor dog is having god awful skin problems. I've been going to Eubank Animal Clinic and have never been very satisfied in general. Well last week was the last time I'll go there, the vet did a skin scrape, told me no parasites or infection and she didn't know what was wrong. So she sold me a 20 buck shampoo, charged me 130 bucks (to tell me she didn't know what was wrong) and sent me on my way.

Well over the weekend my dog has gotten WORSE! I need to make an appointment for this week with a vet who is much more helpful, actually seems to care for my dog (not make nasty faces at him or judgmental comments), and help me solve this problem!! I am open to a holistic vets as well. I'd prefer a bargain vet because I've spent so much the past couple months at the vet it's outrageous and I'm not a wealthy person by any means, but I'm willing to spend a bit more if the quality is excellent and gets my dog healthy and happy again.

Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 12:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,783,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblitz View Post
My poor dog is having god awful skin problems. I've been going to Eubank Animal Clinic and have never been very satisfied in general. Well last week was the last time I'll go there, the vet did a skin scrape, told me no parasites or infection and she didn't know what was wrong. So she sold me a 20 buck shampoo, charged me 130 bucks (to tell me she didn't know what was wrong) and sent me on my way.

Well over the weekend my dog has gotten WORSE! I need to make an appointment for this week with a vet who is much more helpful, actually seems to care for my dog (not make nasty faces at him or judgmental comments), and help me solve this problem!! I am open to a holistic vets as well. I'd prefer a bargain vet because I've spent so much the past couple months at the vet it's outrageous and I'm not a wealthy person by any means, but I'm willing to spend a bit more if the quality is excellent and gets my dog healthy and happy again.

Thank you for any help!
Been there, done that....and it is NOT fun.

In my case, the solution was so easy. Many dogs are allergic to lamb and rice dog foods, especially lamb, and any foods containing lamb, including any dog biscuits!

I had rashes, itchy skin, constant scratching and chewing the feet, all signs of allergy. Since ALL of the dogs had this, I assumed it was environmental....grass, weeds, etc....! But...it wasn't.

Once I removed all lamb products in any form....and give natural homemade (or even just plain Dannon with no additives) yogurt with their food....voila!! If you are not feeding lamb-based foods, it's something else, obviously.

I still have occasional skin rashes, but not very often.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,140,869 times
Had very good luck with the VCA on N. 4th Street. Reasonable prices and a great vet. I don't like the valley much (nor do I live there) but it's a great place.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:24 PM

150 posts, read 789,317 times
We had good luck with different pets over the years at the Juan Tabo Animal Clinic. Especially, F. Kennedy Sweeny, DVM. He really cares about his "patients." :-)
Also, for diagnostic cases especially, the VCA Veterinary Care Animal Hospital, 9901 Montgomery Blvd. NE, (north side, between Eubank and Morris).

Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 PM

362 posts, read 1,713,899 times
This may be out of the way for you but I liked Dr. Andrea (darn...I'm blanking on her last name right now) at DeAnza Vet clinic... but its south of the city proper.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:32 PM

741 posts, read 1,374,089 times
If the Eubank Clinic is convenient for you try going to Manzano which is on Juan Tabo south of Constitution, (Manzano Animal Clinic - Home). Have been a patient there for more than fifteen years.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:44 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,968,360 times
My sis is an assistant at a VCA vet clinic. She told me I have to go to a VCA if I want good, all-around, thorough care, as they have many more resources than an average vet. However, she also said that anyone who comes in can expect to pay more for the wide range of options, along with the "VCA" itself. If money is an issue and you don't like getting lots of possibly unnecessary items pawned off on you, a VCA may not be the best bet. Ultimately, they're great because they cover all the bases, but that can get pricey.

I haven't had an experience with them yet, aside from transfering my cat's prescription diet from my prior vet, but Sandia Animal Clinic on Menaul and Moon (SW corner next door to that gas station) seemed to get great reviews online and have been courteous to me on numerous visits. They even seem to cater more to dogs than cats, though like I said, I don't have any direct experience taking my cat in for an exam.

Best of hopes... trust is important in business transactions, especially relating to the health of you or loved ones. It's getting harder and harder to find genuine, honest medical care anymore. Seems like most docs and vets just want to push drugs and bring you back for unnecessary tests/exams. Sad that I'm already talking like a kurmudgeon at the age of 29, but it really has been that hard to find honest, helpful, caring care for me, my cat, and my parents since we all left Idaho. Greed and indifference abound in this world, but our culture seems to be giving them a hayday.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:20 PM

655 posts, read 1,325,983 times
A topic I needed...will be moving from CA to Abq in late fall. Looking for a vet with specialty towards cats as we have 2 wonderful older siamese. Farther north the better as we will be in Placitas but I'll go anywhere for a great vet. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:33 PM

170 posts, read 645,989 times
There is the Albuquerque Cat Clinic which is pretty far North in the city, and well obviously they specialize in cats

Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,968,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppybunn View Post
There is the Albuquerque Cat Clinic which is pretty far North in the city, and well obviously they specialize in cats
Nice! I'll have to look into them myself. It helps to have my cat food prescription at Sandia Animal Clinic 'cause they're on my way to and from work, but I would like a place that specializes in cats and is closer to my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque