Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:48 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times

Advertisements

Well, all of us newcomers from elsewhere are now local Albuquerqueans and New Mexicans who appreciate and value their new place. So times and attitudes are changing with all of this growth here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
While I do agree that it is a problem, abqsunport, I wonder if the phenomenon isn't worse in cities of similar size. Particularly those that are not within striking range of a larger metro.

I think medium/large isolated cities give, especially to the youth, the sense that they are missing something. It is a natural feeling and I think that of the many disenchanted New Mexicans who leave, those who return do so because the see their home state in a different light.

Do you think New Mexico/Albuquerque has more than its share of discontents?

ABQConvict

Old 09-01-2008, 09:29 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Overall a great post, Sunport.

My take on this as a transplant-to-ABQ and now being away again is the biggest reason you get this is largely due to what Convict just alluded to - you have this A) mid-sized big city (fairly large, but still not even a million in the metro), and B) isolated and nationally fairly unknown (like almost all non-huge cities are).

Thus, long-time ABQeans of a younger nature that have grown up to hear via MTV or E! or VH1 or even CNN that basically life starts and ends in NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston, Miami, or San Fran, etc. They see what they perceive to be the glitz, glamour, clubs, and sexiness of bright lights, and then they look at their hometown and it looks like a small, sleepy dud of a town.

I believe even older folks from ABQ (and other similar towns...I would say places like Oklahoma City or Omaha, etc., incur similar feelings too) fall into this trap. I see the whole "why can't ABQ have an NFL/NBA/MLB team" thing come up every few months on the forums here, and I see a lot of "WHY CAN'T WE BE MORE LIKE (CITY-X)"????

The thing is though...then one gets out...see what life could be like in other, much bigger towns...and then they make their choices in terms of priorities, not perceived glamor and coolness. For me, I like affordable housing, affordable taxes, sizeable housing (kids), amazing culture, amazing food, superb weather, year-round golfing but still some winter weather, tremendous scenery, short commutes, low costs of living, manageable airports, laid back atmospheres, etc. - thus, ABQ is much, much better for me than an NYC or a Boston. But for others, they don't mind living in a small apartment and dealing with public transit and massive crowds to be a part of the "bustle"...and I can't blame them. It is just different things for different people.

But I think the bottom line is that when one might "get out there" a bit, they might realize that their perceived greener grass may have as many drawbacks and cons as their Albuquerque.

P.S. I think almost every city has stuff like this somewhat though. I know here in Milwaukee - much bigger than ABQ (metro is 1.7 million with an NBA and MLB team and virtually the Packers) - people have a huge inferiority complex - more or less in trying to live up to being a Chicago or a Twin Cities which Milwaukee surely is not. But again, they don't recognize outwardly the *virtues* that make their city superior to the other cities in many ways.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,963 times
Ha, you all make excellent posts, and It wouldn't let me give any of you rep points : (

Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,075 times
People need to stop wanting to be what they're not and love being what they are!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:05 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
I know plenty of people who hated it here growing up, then they moved elsewhere and realized we've actually got it pretty good in a lot of ways... so, most of them came back.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:26 AM

361 posts, read 1,092,580 times
Default ABQ or bust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
I know plenty of people who hated it here growing up, then they moved elsewhere and realized we've actually got it pretty good in a lot of ways... so, most of them came back.
...or want to come back, but haven't yet.

I'm originally from Albuquerque and I've been wanting to come back, because it seems to have just begun to grow economically, in population, and in the entertainment spectrum (live music, film industry, plays, poetry slams, etc).

I mean, ABQ has always had tons of outdoors stuff to do (hiking, biking, skiing, golfing, etc.), but lacked a bit in the urban/city type things to do, but it seems that that's changing somewhat.

To live in a place that has all the outdoors stuff and the urban stuff at the same time is my ideal place to live.

I have a plan to move back, after a few more years of working in Chicago. I look forward to it everyday, as I schlep myself on the EL to get to work.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:46 PM

68 posts, read 257,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
I have been really earked recently by the general attidude of New Mexicans in general. It seems like there is no pride in the community sometimes, and that everyone has a self-loathing view. Its weird, Texans believe their state does no wrong. Colorado believes there state can't be matched by beauty. Arizona believe there state is the place to go for a conservative version of California. Ironically, New Mexico and Albuquerque has more beautiful areas that Colarado, more history than Texas, more culture (Taos, Santa Fe, etc.) than Arizona. The only ones who seem to appreciate it are the outsiders. This to me is concerning. This same attidude is directed towards UNM too. I have never understood why Albuquerqueans always devalue and depreciate their city. So here is my message: Wake Up New Mexicans, we have a beautiful place with a lot of really great things. We are far from perfect, but when you wake up enjoying a hot breakfast burrito on a crisp summer morning, keep in mind this is the place that truly is special.

There's no "we" here poster. I'm a native New Mexican and I love my state and I care for her greatly! To say that only "outsiders" are the ones that appreciate New Mexico is an outrage! My family has been here for generations & we have strongly supported our state & our people. My family happens to be long time business owners/farmers & we have been loyally supported by our citizens, especially native New Mexicans. Are you an "outsider"...you can't be a native New Mexican and speak that kind of treachery. Yes, there's people here that don't care about their own lives much less their own state, but all of us? The government is the government...but you're now talking about 'all' native New Mexican's and your statements are based on ignorance alone. I hope that you are being a productive citizen and not just complaining.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:09 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
Are you just going around pushing peoples buttons? Geez... this native talk smacks of the Colorado forum, lol.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:56 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraSol View Post
There's no "we" here poster. I'm a native New Mexican and I love my state and I care for her greatly! ...
I think what TerraSol says has to be acknowledged - there seem to be a great many native NM's who love their state.

I also have to agree with EP's comments, in that if you grew up in Albuq, and see all these other big cities basking in the limelight, you may wonder why your hometown isn't in the same league. IMO, that is part of the charm, but long-time residents [wanting progress] may not agree.

The flip-side though, is that there are also many transplants who are critical of NM, and ABQ. In the 2½ yrs we lived there, my wife ran into quite a few mommies who were upset about the "lack of community feel" where they lived. I'm not sure why exactly that was, but I think it may have a bit to do with neighborhood demographics [in terms of age], and the fact that many of these [NE Heights] neighborhoods are just now starting to transition, with younger families moving in.

We were just back in ABQ, for one last visit, and to move some remaining furniture. We sold a lot of our things, including a queen bed to a student. Anyway, she was a native of ABQ, and when I told her how much I loved the city, she was pleased, and said "You know, a lot of people who come here don't like it..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque