U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:38 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,164,284 times
Come on up to Santa Fe, Cade. We have a reputation for being "fancy" and expensive.

You can wander around the Plaza and go in all the pricey shops and buy all manner of pretty clothes.

Or...we have a Tar-Jay too where you can shop.

Santa Fe -- We ain't Albuquerque -- we're the City Different -- we have enough clothes (expensive and not so expensive) to please everyone. That's where we got that well-deserved reputation from. We have "nice" (I am assuming you mean expensive) places to eat, too.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:38 PM

100 posts, read 184,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
LOL!

I tried to give you rep points for that warm and fuzzy post, but I must spread some around first.

I did give points to nmguy for a post I agree with 100%. Seems like if someone wants higher-end living, New Mexico would not be the place to consider as a home.

(I'm kind of amazed that one could be "out and about" in ABQ meeting so many people who report that the place is boring, the food is not cosmopolitan enough and the people are hicks and podunks. I talk to people wherever I go in Santa Fe and ABQ and I have never met a single person who said anything like that. )
Let's see, on Wed I was at Target and the college guy in electronics was complaining that there was nothing to do and that he planned to move after he graduates from UNM. Friday I was at Bravo, and both my servers, again college ppls, said it was so borning - nothing to do for the young but drink, and that they wished there was more youth-oriented stuff. The checker at Wal-Mart on Friday was complaining about the wages here and that there was nothing to do.

What I've found that, ppls with families have it somewhat better, b/c they're busy taking care of the kids, but the younger folks, and the folks like us who, though not as young but don't have kids, want stuff to do. I miss having lots to do in 30 minutes in any direction. Sorry if that offends anyone (dunno why it should) but, some of us want a lot of things to do. However, I believe there is more coming, and so, I wait I talked to some people at Uptown and they said there's a bunch more shops coming

Old 12-13-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Come on up to Santa Fe, Cade. We have a reputation for being "fancy" and expensive.

You can wander around the Plaza and go in all the pricey shops and buy all manner of pretty clothes.

Or...we have a Tar-Jay too where you can shop.

Santa Fe -- We ain't Albuquerque -- we have enough clothes (expensive and not so expensive) to please everyone. That's where we got that well-deserved reputation from. We have "nice" (I am assuming you mean expensive) places to eat, too.
I really really want to see Santa Fe! Ironically my hubby works up there every night and so he hasn't had a chance to take me there yet. But when he gets his vacation I really want to go there. I've heard at Christmas time it's really nice with bonfires around and people about. A realtor told me that - if it's not true, apologies - it's hearsay I know

Old 12-13-2008, 03:46 PM

Lots of people about ... yes.

Bonfires ... I don't know about that.

But I think you would love the Plaza and the many shops ... art galleries and clothing boutiques and jewelry stores and upscale restaurants. The Plaza area caters to tourists who come into to town with lots of money to spend.

I don't go there. I am not into that lifestyle. I think we have been there twice since we moved here seven months ago -- once to go to the Santa Fe Public Library and once to go to the gift shop at the Governor's Palace for Christmas cards.

Everything else at the Plaza is really just way too expensive for my tastes.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:58 PM

Thank you Towanda! I couldn't afford to shop there all the time of course, but for my birthday, or our anniversary (in Feb!) it sounds so nice!

Old 12-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Best birthday gift in the world -- Spend a night at La Fonda Hotel right on the Plaza, choose one of the upscale restaurants in the Plaza area for your dinner, and get that man of yours to let you go on a spending spree in the Plaza shops.

It would boost our economy!

Old 12-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Thank you so much! I wrote this down and will check it out - it sounds soooo nice! Thanx for the information - I appreciate it!

Old 12-13-2008, 05:39 PM

522 posts, read 999,328 times
Cade,
This reply is to your posts on this thread. I agree with you about everything. One thing you must know, New Mexicans do not like Californians or Texans or basically almost anyone that isn't from there. I can say this because I lived there 13 years, had lots of friends, but still found this to be true. My best friend when I lived there was from Jersey and she sighed once and remarked, "These people here are just WAY too sensitive." It's SO true. That's why you see the remarks on this forum to anyone who says ANYTHING remotely negative about NM. Honesty is often mistaken for rudeness there. What's ironic is that the response to what they consider rude is anything but diplomatic. I have been to all the places you have been - ie London, ny, la, etc. and you are absolutely right - many New Mexican's have hardly been out of the state and they have not been exposed to higher standards. It's not snobbery, it's a fact. There is much to love there - the beauty on so many levels, the food, the culture, the friendliness. But it, like everywhere else, is not perfect and is not for everyone. Santa Fe is quite charming - go there. But also know that Santa Fe is comprised of wealthy elite (who are health nuts - not that there's anything wrong with that I just am not that way) and low lifes who smoke alot of crack and drive drunk. There is virtually no middle class. The art is wonderful, the jewelry is wonderful, but Santa Fe, far more than Alb, is a THINGS place. Alb. warts and all, is a REAL place, Santa Fe, unfortunately is not (used to be but we gringos I guess ruined it). Anyway, I encourage you to keep posting your opinions on this forum not just because I agree with them but because I think communication venues need someone who is honest but not offensive. Bravo to you!

Old 12-13-2008, 06:20 PM

Hi Joanie,

I haven't been to Oregon, but they feel the same way about Californians LOL! I don't think it is specifically Californians, I think it is just that any place doesn't like outsiders, or, transplants if you will. Outsiders bring new and often, differing opinions and ideas. They also bring their culture with them, in the case here, the California love of consumerism. I'm sure it wouldn't go over well in Montana or Wyoming etc etc either. We all like a certain amount of sameness, and I am certainly no different, hence my eager anticipation of more shopping/dining, and the natives disdain of it.

I have a relative who has never been beyond her backyard and cannot understand about different standards of entertainment, dining, shopping etc. She's happy in her jeans and T-shirts and loves Cracker Barrel and the like. It is why they say that traveling makes you worldly. It does, even if you don't want it to. It just happens.

About Santa Fe: We wanted to move there so my husband didn't have to drive an hour each way, each day. It was a learning experience for us because, it was either luxury housing, or the slums. We were extremely disheartened to learn that there is no middle class/middle ground there. During the days of $4 a gallon gas, we were really bleeding cash. I can't wait to visit, but it is too bad about there being no middle class there.

Thanx for your thoughts
Oh and ps: I am NOT trying to offend you if you like Cracker Barrel!!!! I don't, and it's just my opinion about the place.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:49 PM

522 posts, read 999,328 times
It's all good. No offense taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque