U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:53 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,364,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade View Post
Hi Joanie,

I don't think it is specifically Californians, I think it is just that any place doesn't like outsiders, or, transplants if you will. Outsiders bring new and often, differing opinions and ideas. They also bring their culture with them, in the case here, the California love of consumerism. I'm sure it wouldn't go over well in Montana or Wyoming etc etc either. We all like a certain amount of sameness, and I am certainly no different, hence my eager anticipation of more shopping/dining, and the natives disdain of it.
Hopefully I can say what I want and it will come out the right way. This is not directed to anyone in particular and its not my intention to offend anyone.
I will use my home state of Maine as an example. When outsiders move in, the first thing some of them want to do is change Maine into whatever place they left. This is often times met with resistance. Locals just cannot understand why someone left their city if they want to turn Maine into the same place they left.
Clear as mud?

Old 12-13-2008, 08:24 PM

3,059 posts, read 6,339,736 times
To those who think Santa Fe has no middle class:

I AM THE MIDDLE CLASS.

SO ARE ALL MY NEIGHBORS.

SO ARE THE PEOPLE I MEET AT THE GROCERY STORE, THE DOCTORS OFFICE, THE LIBRARY, etc. etc. etc.

I am not the wealthy elite - I am a nurse but I am not a "health nut".

I am also not a "low life" who "smokes crack and drives drunk."

Santa Fe is my home and it is a REAL PLACE, despite what your opinions are.

Santa is more than luxury housing or slums. I live in a very nice neighborhood which is *gasp* middle class.

I am a transplant -- I came to New Mexico by way of New York, California, Texas, Michigan and Kansas. No one has ever treated me badly in Santa Fe because I arrived from some other place.

And as I said before, I have not run into a single person out here who calls New Mexico boring, says the food is not cosmopolitan enough and refers to New Mexicans as hicks and podunks.

And I'm sorry but I find this pretentious as hell:

Quote:
I have a relative who has never been beyond her backyard and cannot understand about different standards of entertainment, dining, shopping etc. She's happy in her jeans and T-shirts and loves Cracker Barrel and the like. It is why they say that traveling makes you worldly. It does, even if you don't want it to. It just happens.
Who gave the two of you the right to criticize other people, to be so judgmental, and then to turn right around and accuse the people of New Mexico of being as critical as you two are????

No wonder you both keep running into people who aren't friendly. No wonder people don't like Californians if you are an example.

My experience in life is that you get back EXACTLY what you put into it.

Be critical and snobbish and brag all the time about how much better the place you came from was than the one you are living in -- and what a shock - nobody is going to like you.

I am sorry I didn't quit posting on this thread pages ago. It is not worth the trouble to deal with. I started out my life here in Santa Fe wondering why people don't like Californians or others who come here and complain about the people here and call them names and imply they are backward. Now I am certainly starting to understand.

I'm out.....

Old 12-13-2008, 08:38 PM

522 posts, read 1,025,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
To those who think Santa Fe has no middle class:

I AM THE MIDDLE CLASS.

SO ARE ALL MY NEIGHBORS.

SO ARE THE PEOPLE I MEET AT THE GROCERY STORE, THE DOCTORS OFFICE, THE LIBRARY, etc. etc. etc.

I am not the wealthy elite - I am a nurse but I am not a "health nut".

I am also not a "low life" who "smokes crack and drives drunk."

Santa Fe is my home and it is a REAL PLACE, despite what your opinions are.

Santa is more than luxury housing or slums. I live in a very nice neighborhood which is *gasp* middle class.

I am a transplant -- I came to New Mexico by way of New York, California, Texas, Michigan and Kansas. No one has ever treated me badly in Santa Fe because I arrived from some other place.

And as I said before, I have not run into a single person out here who calls New Mexico boring, says the food is not cosmopolitan enough and refers to New Mexicans as hicks and podunks.

And I'm sorry but I find this pretentious as hell:

Who gave the two of you the right to criticize other people, to be so judgmental, and then to turn right around and accuse the people of New Mexico of being as critical as you two are????

No wonder you both keep running into people who aren't friendly. No wonder people don't like Californians if you are an example.

My experience in life is that you get back EXACTLY what you put into it.

Be critical and snobbish and brag all the time about how much better the place you came from was than the one you are living in -- and what a shock - nobody is going to like you.

I am sorry I didn't quit posting on this thread pages ago. It is not worth the trouble to deal with. I started out my life here in Santa Fe wondering why people don't like Californians or others who come here and complain about the people here and call them names and imply they are backward. Now I am certainly starting to understand.

I'm out.....
The best idea you've had yet - why don't u quit posting. You are too narrow minded to have any added value to this forum.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Hopefully I can say what I want and it will come out the right way. This is not directed to anyone in particular and its not my intention to offend anyone.
I will use my home state of Maine as an example. When outsiders move in, the first thing some of them want to do is change Maine into whatever place they left. This is often times met with resistance. Locals just cannot understand why someone left their city if they want to turn Maine into the same place they left.
Clear as mud?
Alison, I understand. But, in this world people move from state to state and do bring their values, culture with them. America is a melting pot. Some of this deserves to be respected. The native culture of where we move also deserves to be respected. I don't think we disagree.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Please do.
Honey, does an open mind mean anything to u? Embrace it, you might like it.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:57 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,364,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
The best idea you've had yet - why don't u quit posting. You are too narrow minded to have any added value to this forum.
That was cruel and totally uncalled. Towanda has posted many many valuable things on this forum.
And, she is a NM resident...which you no longer are.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
That was cruel and totally uncalled. Towanda has posted many many valuable things on this forum.
It was not cruel. It was honest. I was a resident for 13 years. That counts for something. Not only that, I still have a couple of very good friends who I talk to all the time.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Like I said before, you are WAY too sensitive. Get over yourself.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Towanda is why people dont' want to move there. She needs to leap off her ivory tower.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:53 PM

101 posts, read 199,969 times
You mean one person is keeping people from moving to a new state? Wow! That's one powerful person!
People like Towanda are one of the reasons I would like to move to New Mexico. Friendly and helpful is the impression I get from most who post on this forum and live in New Mexico. I hope to be living among them very soon. I have been to New Mexico twice recently and have always felt welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque