U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-10-2007, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 13,291 times
Default average commuting times/distances

My husband will be retired in a year (I'm 46) and we want to buy a house around the Edgewood area. What is a typical commute time/distance to some of the major employers or the downtown area from Edgewood? I will be working. I lived in LA for 8 years and know about nasty traffic, but we are now coming from Montana...(i have also lived in Denver)...any comparisons in the commute/freeway arena? How far to good skiing? What is the sales tax? I come from a no sales tax state. What about state taxes?
thanx for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-10-2007, 03:25 PM

2,783 posts, read 3,779,497 times
Edgewood is so spread out (over 4 counties), a realistic commuting number is very difficult to arrive at. I would imagine without traffic that 20-45 minutes would be the commute time to downtown (Albuquerque downtown doesn't have a huge number of employers versus the city at large).

I would wager that I-40 through the canyon isn't unlike I-5 near Santa Clarita or I-70 into the mountains west of Denver. During inclement weather, things get slow. More and more commuters, and plenty of big trucks just on their way through.

Edgewood is significantly more like Denver than Albuquerque is (in terms of weather and greenery). That's why I prefer the Albuquerque side.

Sales tax is about 6.75% in this region, with nonprepared food not taxed. State taxes (as far as I can tell) are on the low end. We have 1980's Alaska-style petroleum-funded tax rebates every now and then.

Given how reasonable housing costs are compared to LA, highly recommend you save yourself an hour each day and get something closer to work. There are plenty of neighborhoods both as affordable and crime-free as Edgewood that are much closer to downtown. They are also better served by police, fire, water supply, etc.

Unread 02-11-2007, 02:56 PM

5 posts, read 13,291 times
Default recommendations?

Thank you so much for the valuable information. Could you or others please recommend some other communities then, that are as affordable as Edgewood? Looking at real estate on-line to get an idea is tedious, and would be easier if I had a better idea of the area I'm looking at. I do like the spread-out more rural areas if possible.
thanx

Unread 02-11-2007, 03:10 PM

10,184 posts, read 17,346,281 times
You might try Placitas.

http://www.placitaschamber.com/

Several friends lived there until recently. Work took them away, and they had a great place.

It is perhaps a little out of some of the traffic, but more importantly that little train has a commuter stop in Placitas.

Unread 02-11-2007, 05:21 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,000,469 times
I live on the other side of the freeway from Placitas, in far north Rio Rancho. The commutte to downtown or the university in rush hour is generally about 30-40 minutes.

Placitas is generally pricier than north Rio Rancho. But Placitias will have a more rural feel with bigger lots and much less retail and shopping etc.

For Placitas, I think you are looking at at least $350K for something. You can get something somewhat comparable in Rio Ranch for probably $250-275K but with a smaller lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque