Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 12:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_and_educated View Post
My work place will be around Carlisle and Gibson. Google Maps shows that there’s a gate on Carlisle and my office will be right next it (I don’t know what the name of the gate is). Therefore, I think my commute time might be about 10 minutes shorter than Rich’s wife’s. Is that a reasonable guess?
Probably, it may be less for you. It is 8 more miles where my wife works with a 30 mph or less speed limit.

Quote:
My work schedule is pretty flexible. I can start anytime between 6:00 ~ 9:00. I wonder if there’s a better way/time to avoid the traffic, and what areas are typically congested.
When working at that location, she leaves at that time. She claims if she leaves 30 minutes later, the increased traffic is noticeable. She does not take the interstate.

Quote:
There’s a sizable reservoir (Jemez Canyon) north of RR. The satellite shows it’s completely dried out. It’s that right?
No that is not correct. But the water is muddy and brown. There is a picnic area at the top of the canyon, that's where this was shot:

YouTube - Jemez Canyon Dam

Quote:
Where does the RR’s water come from?
All the water for Rio Rancho comes from about ten wells which get water from the underground aquifer.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 AM

28 posts, read 80,509 times
I would like to thank Rich and everyone who has kindly answered my questions.
ABQ crime statistics seem to be pretty rough, however, from what I have heard, it is not as bad as the numbers show. I have been considering 3 areas: Rio Rancho, Far NE and East Mountains. The schools are all pretty good and each place has its pros and cons.
Rio Rancho:
More affordable and newer houses/infrastructure. The downside is the commute.
Far NE:
Close(r) to work, but expensive houses. Some more affordable houses are either old or small. The temperature in the summer is the warmest of the three.
East Mountains:
Cooler summer, reasonable priced houses, large lots, greener than RR and Far NE. The lack of infrastructure/public services may not be as attractive. Unpaved roads can be another problem especially in the winter.
I will have about a week or two to visit ABQ before moving there next year. Since the time may not be long enough to explore the entire metro, I will concentrate in these three areas. I don’t have to buy a house immediately. I can rent for a while and decide later if I really want to stay. However, it would be too much hassle to move again later, especially if the kids have to switch to a different school.
I plan to have “test drives” from all those areas to KAFB during rush hours. Stay in hotels in various locations. Visit the schools, libraries and local grocery shops. I might have a real estate agent to show me some houses. I hope I will have enough time to do all these.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 AM

923 posts, read 2,419,752 times
Have you considered the Ventana Ranch area? It's not as far a commute as Rio Rancho. It's full of parks, a community swimming pool, a few minutes drive down the hill to a library off of Montano & Unser, new infrastructure/homes, less expensive housing than the NE area, and great schools. Just something else to consider.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:37 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_and_educated
... I don’t have to buy a house immediately. I can rent for a while and decide
later if I really want to stay. However, it would be too much hassle to move
again later, especially if the kids have to switch to a different school.
I plan to have “test drives” from all those areas to KAFB during rush hours.
Stay in hotels in various locations. Visit the schools, libraries and local
grocery shops. ...
Peaceful_and_educated -- doin' it right.
No chip on their shoulder. This is someone
who'e going to be just fine. I hope you like it.

I intend to just direct others to your post in the future.
It will save me some time.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 PM

14 posts, read 43,441 times
Default Rio Rancho Houses

House Hunting from a distance...

Does anyone know the area around Enchanted Hills Blvd NE and Sprint Blvd NE ??? Kinda by the Home Depot off the 550...Older houses 1990's. We were there a few weeks ago and drove thru the area, I remember the Home Depot and newer houses but not those....

Also....we didn't get to see around Rio Rancho Blvd SE and Sabana Grande Ave SE....I think it's Corrales Heights.

Looking for any pros / cons to those areas.

Any input is appreciated !!!!

Last edited by kmksga; 11-21-2010 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 10:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmksga View Post
House Hunting from a distance...

Any input is appreciated !!!!
I looked at houses in that area in 1998. At that time there was only one house built that was for sale. You had to buy and wait for it to be built.

I don't think Sprint Boulevard even existed then, and the Home Depot has only been there about two years.

The whole area is kinda new. I guess you are talking about the area surrounding Mountain View Middle School. My grand daughter use to go to some events there and we have some friends who live in the area. I use to walk my dogs through the arroyo there.

Corrales Heights is a much older area, there are some nice houses in some parts, and some are run down a bit. Some of the houses have much larger lots than are common now. My other Grand Daughter use to play basketball at the school there. Do not confuse Corrales Heights which is a part of Rio Rancho with Corrales which is a seperate town.

There are a lot of houses for sale in Rio Rancho, some of which are very good deals. But my opinions may be vastly different than other peoples.

Don't know if that helps...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-19-2011 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-22-2010, 07:24 AM

64 posts, read 204,998 times
I'm a couple miles further up the hill but I like Enchanted Hills.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:03 PM

7 posts, read 12,127 times
i think the ones you are reffering to are the ones that are off of onchanted hills blvd, right across the street from sprint. my friends lives in corrales heights, its not by any means a bad area, there arent many in rio rancho period, but it is older, and youre likely to have people on your street who dont keep up with maintaining the appearance of their home.
i myself live in north hills, they were built in the 90's, very affordable, but some of the models , like mine are very small. there are larger homes as well but you wont find much over 2000 sqft.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 AM

281 posts, read 629,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMark View Post
I'm a couple miles further up the hill but I like Enchanted Hills.
Same here, I never paid much attention to the houses closer to Sprint, I didn't realize they were significantly different than the rest of the enchanted hills areas.

-Z

Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM

6 posts, read 8,800 times
Default rio rancho

I raised my daughter all on my own in this area! This is a great area good schools and away from all the drama! I would suggest this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque