U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:26 AM

3,068 posts, read 5,167,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMark View Post
My day in Rio Rancho is dull as can be, but I'm still not moving back to Albuquerque. Like I've posted before, I have no need or desire for coffee shops, live entertainment, malls, the art scene, fancy restaurants or drinking establishments, downtown, or Nob Hill (I grew up there). Sometimes we try some restaurants people recommend, then come out muttering, "We shoulda gone to Twisters!"
Ditto!

Maybe if I was in my 20's I might want those things. Although I remember not caring about them back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 AM

3,695 posts, read 6,238,116 times
Guys. Let's not talk about ABQ. This thread is all about your town.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:45 AM

2,154 posts, read 3,534,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Guys. Let's not talk about ABQ. This thread is all about your town.

Seriously! Why can't they tell us what they love about it?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Seriously! Why can't they tell us what they love about it?
I live here because its where the house we are renting is located. I come from a small town and like being out in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, y'all need to check out Maine if you think that RR offers nothing. The largest city in Maine is smaller than RR.

Maybe I like living here as its the only place I've lived in NM. I just do not want to live in the city proper.

My husband commuted an hour each way to work back in Maine, we are used to having to drive a ways to do "things". We are country folks (bumpkins most likely), so we enjoy being out in the middle of nowhere.

Also, what does it matter to someone in CO what people in RR think, or ABQ for that matter?? Just trying to understand why its important to you, not trying to start anything here.
Out here, I could have a horse and ride for miles in the desert. I wouldn't like having a horse in ABQ and be stuck having to deal with traffic, or trailer to the bosque to ride. Some of us love the wide open spaces.

We have a park right around the corner where my grandson can play. We can go to the end of our street and walk out into the desert if we choose.

Really its rather dumb to ***** about RR, when most of us do spend OUR money in YOUR city.

Some folks like city living and some don't. I happen to be one who thinks the city is ok to visit, but not to live in. And it wouldn't matter what city it was.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:05 AM

I almost forgot, when we moved out my hubby's boss recommended Rio Rancho as a great place to live. So I guess you can blame him.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 AM

66 posts, read 118,287 times
I can't really say what I love about it. There's nothing really special about Rio Rancho, but I'm happier here than anywhere I've lived in my adult life. I did a career in the army and have lived a lot of places. My wife & I are both from ABQ and after sweating in the Carolinas for 5 years, we decided it's time to move back after 30 years of living east coast, midwest, Texas, west coast, small town, big city, Alaska, and Germany. Rio Rancho's not too big, and it's not too small. It's still New Mexico and I love the area.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:27 AM

3,695 posts, read 6,238,116 times
AlisonL, I wanted this thread to be about what you enjoy about RR. Don't feel that you need to defend it, I'm not asking you to.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 PM

15 posts, read 30,938 times
What we like about RR. How about when you pass a police officer they always wave. All of them. I do like to visit your city so I can get gang signs flashed at me. Please don't defend your city, this is about us, not you.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
AlisonL, I wanted this thread to be about what you enjoy about RR. Don't feel that you need to defend it, I'm not asking you to.
I told you what I like about it. Reread what I said. I am not defending it, just telling it in the way I can express it.

I enjoy living out in what folks consider "the middle of nowhere", which, by the way it isn't.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:31 PM

6,409 posts, read 6,617,155 times
I don't understand what people mean when they say, "Rio Rancho is in the middle of nowhere." I have been to Rio Rancho and I can tell you, it is not in the middle of nowhere, it is the middle of nowhere special. ;-)

But seriously, thanks AlisonL for actually providing some substantive reasons for enjoying living in Rio Rancho vs. Albuquerque in post #18. However, you can have horses and walk in the desert or mountains or bosque from many Albuquerque addresses.

I think the people who like Rio Rancho the best are people who have grown up in similar communities (auto-centered sprawl sub-divisions) and there is certainly nothing wrong with feeling that way. It is like religion, I may not agree with your beliefs but I respect your right to believe in them.

I will also say here that Rio Rancho has some great views of the Sandias and is a shorter drive to the Jemez. See, I can say something nice. :-)

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque