Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 02:33 AM

368 posts, read 1,322,751 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering, which of these has the best prices,

Albertsons, Raleys, Smiths or John Brooks,,,,,,,,,, I hate wal-mart.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:30 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,668,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
I was just wondering, which of these has the best prices,

Albertsons, Raleys, Smiths or John Brooks,,,,,,,,,, I hate wal-mart.
I don't know much about John Brooks...regrettably I have not shopped there.

I would say that in my experience, of the other three, Smith's is the cheapest, followed very closely by Albertsons...they are almost the same. Raley's is more expensive, which is a shame, because overall otherwise I love Raley's, and would do all my grocery shopping there due to their friendly staffs.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:49 AM

741 posts, read 2,914,150 times
Default eenie meenie....

As far as the stores you have listed, I gotta say I don't notice that great a difference between the lot of them. Smith's might have a special on milk this week, and Albertson's next week. To me, it just depends on who is having a sale on what item at any given time. But if you're looking for the place with the consistently rock bottom prices, I'm afraid you're gonna have to do business with the Walton family.

However, if you're looking for the best quality/bang for your buck, it is very hard to beat Costco, especially if you're buying for a family. And their meats are the best in town. The membership fee is worth every penny, particularly if you have the occasional need to buy a big screen HDTV.

The quality of goods is also nice at Whole Paycheck...er, I mean Whole Foods. But the dollar just doesn't stretch very far there. Trader Joe's isn't bad either...

Chap

Old 02-15-2007, 04:35 PM

51 posts, read 218,124 times
Raley's has the best meat and produce in town, but they are more expensive even though they have a wonderful staff. Smith's would be the cheapest with the best sales, but I haven't found a Smith's that looks or smells clean so I won't buy meat or produce there. Albertson's has some great sales, especially when they have their meat sales. Wal-mart isn't even all it's cracked up to be so I wouldn't worry about not shopping there!

Old 02-15-2007, 05:40 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,497,895 times
I really like all the people (morning crew) at the Smith's at Carlisle and Menaul. They really rock there !!!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:21 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,993,582 times
Hey thanks you guys, this is very helpful information!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,062,999 times
Whole Foods has the best meat in town and next is Trader Joe's. Whole Foods is the most expensive then Raley's. Trader's Joe's actually has some good prices on lots of things -- best wine prices in town -- which is why so many shop there.

Raley's is the most expensive and sometimes their stuff is good and other times it isn't. Smith's is okay. For standard things Target and Wal-Mart beat the heck out of any of the grocery stores and Costco does too. But as Costco you have to buy so much and I don't really buy in bulk.

Overall I was very surprised how expensive groceries are here - they were cheaper in DC and Austin. And I personally don't think the quality is that great at Raley's either -- at least not the one I shop at -- far north Rio Rancho. Staff is really nice but then the staff at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are the best -- but I've always found that at these places in several cities -- it is just part of their corporate culture.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:50 PM

181 posts, read 705,209 times
I'm always at Albertson's because it's the closest to my house and the prices are fairly good with the shopping card. However, it can take a really long time to pay and get out of the place. The store has self-checkout terminals but they are broken half the time Recently, I made my way to Raley's on Juan Tabo/Candelaria and was impressed with how nice the store (newly built) looked and how helpful the staff was by offering to push baskets for customers on the way to their vehicles. The prices seemed decent, so I think I'm gonna check it out some more.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:10 PM

25 posts, read 269,242 times
Question Typical Prices?

Great thread! I'm wondering what some the prices are of some basic staple goods are (at least in my home!). What do you usually pay for the following items:
  • Milk
  • 1 Dozen large eggs
  • 12-pack of soda
  • Bread (regular white sandwich type)
  • Bag of sugar (4 or 5 pound bag)
  • Ground meat (just regular stuff; not the super-lean/pricey variation)
  • Boneless, skinless chicken breast (not frozen)
  • Box of cereal such as Cheerios or Fruit Loops (15 oz. box or bigger)

Also, what is the current price per gallon of regular gas there?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2007, 01:12 AM

368 posts, read 1,322,751 times
you can get milk for $1.89
eggs- around $1.69 a dozen for large (I think)
cheap soda $1.99 12 pack or coke-pepsi-$3.88 12 pack
bread-$1.00
sugar-not sure but cheap
ground meat-$1.99 lb
chicken breast about 5dollars for a package of 3
cereal from $1.99 to around 3 dollars depending which brand
current gas is at $2.07 a gallon a couple weeks ago it was $1.98 a gallon
these are wal-mart prices,but shopping at wal mart sucks,its always so crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque