U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 PM

488 posts, read 740,488 times
Default Snakes in Albuquerque?

Hi,

please give me some honest replies on the amount and type of snakes in Albuquerque region. I am considering a move there but I am terrified of snakes!

I have been through NM a few times and stopped at rest areas that are up on stilts because of the snake problem. Do you ever encounter snakes in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 12:00 AM

918 posts, read 1,735,200 times
It's interesting that you write this because after living here for my whole life, I saw my first snake just a couple weeks back while demonstrating at Petroglyph National Park on the outskirts of the city (the West side). The West side has volcanic black rock walls along the mesa that are a perfect habitat for snakes. While there are rocks on the East side, in the foot hills, they're lighter and more sparse. In town I've never seen a snake and I've spent a lot of time on various trails around town like the Bosque Trail along the Rio Grande and the loop around Albuquerque Academy (probably the largest patch of open ground left in the NE quadrant.). I also enjoy the Oso Canyon area that is open ground and the Embudo Canyon. I wouldn't worry about snakes.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:08 AM

2,804 posts, read 4,246,263 times
What part of Colorado are you coming from?

You have plenty of snakes there.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:16 AM

3,695 posts, read 6,314,421 times
I think those stilts are a condition of the structural system (i.e. drilled-piers).

Are you talking about the reststops South of ABQ?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:53 PM

1,218 posts, read 1,842,006 times
I think the OP is refering to "Walking Sands" rest area on I-25 just north of Socorro ...Rybert is correct ...it's structural (ie shifting sands) not because of rattlers .....

Rattlesnakes can be found in most areas in north america (as far north as southern Alberta Canada) but the SW is a "peak" area ....actually AZ with NM a close 2nd

Old 10-24-2008, 08:24 PM

488 posts, read 740,488 times
I can't remember where the rest stop was... but there were signs that said "watch out for the snakes". And my husband told me that's why the buildings were up on stilts (but he tends to BS me from time to time). Anyway, I have seen 3 snakes this year where I live in Colorado. So maybe ABQ is not that bad. But I have never seen a rattler in the wild. And I plan to avoid the ABQ rattlesnake museum with every thread of my being!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:12 PM

918 posts, read 1,735,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
... And I plan to avoid the ABQ rattlesnake museum with every thread of my being!
Fair enough, but seriously; there's not much of anything going on with snakes in town.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:52 AM

1,764 posts, read 3,758,465 times
We saw no snakes during the 2 yrs we lived in the NE Heights, as much as I would have liked to. I did a fair amount of hiking during that time, too.

The irony is that I saw two rattlesnakes, while hiking, within 3 mos. of moving back to MD.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:11 AM

3,695 posts, read 6,314,421 times
I've seen two snakes my entire life in ABQ Actually one was in Moriarty (38 miles East of ABQ) and the other was at a cabin near Dixon's Apple Orchard (60 miles North of ABQ).

In Moriarty I was working on our irrigation equipment (not paying attention). The sprinklers sound a lot like a rattle snake, but it turned out to be the real deal (I made record time high-tailin' it back up to the house. lol

Old 10-25-2008, 02:45 PM

11 posts, read 24,093 times
I also have lived in ABQ my whole life and have only seen a rattler once and that was in the foothills. You have nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque