Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:20 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,317 times

Advertisements

I see King and other Dems are already blaming Gov. Martinez for not landing Tesla.
No matter which way you lean, those kind of politics have to nauseate you.
We had little to no chance from the beginning and spinning it any other way stinks to high heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:54 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
To be honest, I don''t think New Mexico along with Arizona and Texas ever had a chance. Tesla was playing them all trying to sweeten their deal in Nevada, and playing those states to see if anything better would be offered.
Another thing......and I may be wrong, however I dont think Tesla will ever reach 6,500 employee's and the plant will be half the size that was stated. It will be interesting in a couple of years to re-visit this thread and see if I was right.
I agree. Tesla was using the other states to get what they wanted from Nevada.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:57 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,546 times
Another factor in Nevada's favor: it's the only state in the U.S. that has lithium mines.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:34 PM

5,018 posts, read 7,407,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
I see King and other Dems are already blaming Gov. Martinez for not landing Tesla.
No matter which way you lean, those kind of politics have to nauseate you.
We had little to no chance from the beginning and spinning it any other way stinks to high heaven.
Then I guess Martinez was pretty dumb to even try to lure Tesla.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:58 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
All in all the whole dance worked out to a pretty sweet deal for Tesla. They built at the site that probably made the most financial sense to them all along, but managed to get Nevada to pony up subsidies and enticements to the tune of $1.9 billion. Amazing what a little flirtation will get you...
To be accurate, Nevada's package comes to $1.25 Billion, and it is almost all in the form of tax abatements which are performance linked. Basically they are granting Tesla (subject to legislative approval) 10 years of operations tax free. Considering that the state analysis shows $100 Billion in total economic benefit to the area over 20 years, it looks like a good deal for both sides.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Elon Musk said after the Governor's announcement that Nevada did not have the biggest financial package. But he had been saying from the beginning that the #1 decision point for site location was about time to completion. He HAS to get the plant up and running fast in order to keep up with projected auto production. A lot of people missed that point, but he's been saying it all along. And in Nevada he'll be in production before the permit process could even be completed in California, early 2017 or possibly late 2016.

Another thing a lot of people missed is that Musk said he wants a Plan B, in case Plan A runs into difficulty, so they may start construction on a second site. I think NM is in the top spot for that second slot, if Tesla pursues that plan.

Texas and Arizona, in my estimation, are out of the running because they refuse to allow Tesla's direct-sales model in their states, due to very strong franchise dealer associations and their fat campaign deductions. Would you want to make a $5 Billion investment in a state where you can't sell your products? I sure wouldn't. And California simply has too many time consuming environmental protection provisions coded into the permit process to allow for the kind of "fast-track" factory constructin that Musk insists upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
Another factor in Nevada's favor: it's the only state in the U.S. that has lithium mines.
Hardly a major factor. First, there's a much bigger lithium mine in Colorado which is currently closed because the cost of production is higher than the current global commodity cost. Second, most of the current supply of lithium for battery manufacture comes from Chile, and is cheaper than domestic product. Third, production of lithium from seawater and brine lakes is already viable, and is becoming increasingly important. In the future mining may not even be a practical source.

Anyway, my point is simple... if you are an advocate for getting a Gigafactory built in new Mexico, don't give up just yet. New Mexico could still be a player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque