U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2010, 07:57 PM

2,805 posts, read 4,430,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Never mind two more huge money-gobbling items--Railrunner (benefits a very, very few and taxes all)
The Railrunner benefits half the state's population; it takes cars off I-25. If you drive I-25, there are fewer cars as a result. If you don't think it's a worthwhile use of money, hang out at a train station during commuter rush hour and just watch. People are really using it now.

Taxes all: Well, by that rationale, whatever state roads link up your corner of the state are taxing all too. I'm positive that if each county had to come up with the tax revenue it consumed for transportation, 80% of them would come up short. Bernalillo County would not be one of them, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 PM

9,048 posts, read 12,377,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
The Railrunner benefits half the state's population; it takes cars off I-25. If you drive I-25, there are fewer cars as a result. If you don't think it's a worthwhile use of money, hang out at a train station during commuter rush hour and just watch. People are really using it now.

Taxes all: Well, by that rationale, whatever state roads link up your corner of the state are taxing all too. I'm positive that if each county had to come up with the tax revenue it consumed for transportation, 80% of them would come up short. Bernalillo County would not be one of them, either.
I hope the Railrunner succeeds and is very viable over the long-term--and hopefully it will eventually come south. But we have a very long wait--if indeed it ever happens.

Roads are another matter. This state relies very heavily on tourism--and good roads mean more tourisim, as well as ease of commerce/travel--the list goes on.

People travel from one end of the state to the other--whether residents or visitors.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:37 PM
_yb

1,135 posts, read 3,459,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Source please?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 AM

2,805 posts, read 4,430,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Source please?
Try wikipedia's entry.

If you want a source on something more specific, recommend you ask something more specific.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:52 PM

3,391 posts, read 2,752,406 times
Default Rail Runner in Santa Fe

I was looking to take the rail runner in and out of Santa Fe to attend Santa Fe Community College. What I was wondering is when I get off at Santa Fe is the station and the school even remotely close to one another?

Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,866,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I was looking to take the rail runner in and out of Santa Fe to attend Santa Fe Community College.
Hmmmm...that's going to be some sort of record commute from Chicago!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 AM

17,699 posts, read 19,205,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I was looking to take the rail runner in and out of Santa Fe to attend Santa Fe Community College. What I was wondering is when I get off at Santa Fe is the station and the school even remotely close to one another?
It looks like it is about eleven miles from the Rail Runner stop and the college. Don't know if there is a bus system in place that will work.

Rich

Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 AM

5,552 posts, read 9,592,859 times
Here is a map of rail-bus connections.

There is a line ( Route 21 ) to the Santa Fe Community College.

This Santa Fe County/NM 599 Station is much closer than 11 miles.

This NM 599 shuttle might help.

Is there any particular reason that you want to spend an hour and a half each way to attend
community college in Santa Fe when there is a perfectly good college in Albuquerque?

Last edited by mortimer; 04-01-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Old 04-06-2010, 09:37 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,352,960 times
The Railrunner was a good idea, but they should not have built more than one stop in Santa Fe. Because of all the stopping, and because they did not build a high speed light rail train, it takes an hour and a half to get from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. By automobile, I can travel the same route in less than an hour. Some people might like such a slow method of travel, but the majority of us are not going to change our mode or transportation so we can travel slower. The Railrunner is simply a money-losing boondoggle, and we don't need that in these tough economic times.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:41 AM

12,344 posts, read 14,040,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
The Railrunner was a good idea, but they should not have built more than one stop in Santa Fe. Because of all the stopping, and because they did not build a high speed light rail train, it takes an hour and a half to get from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. By automobile, I can travel the same route in less than an hour. Some people might like such a slow method of travel, but the majority of us are not going to change our mode or transportation so we can travel slower. The Railrunner is simply a money-losing boondoggle, and we don't need that in these tough economic times.
When gas prices go up again , you be flocking to it , i have looked at the rail runner map. They should take out sum stations, and place better connections like a streetcar or light rail system in Albuquerque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque