U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,219,918 times
Light The Night (http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/eve/940900425.html - broken link)

I think they are selling their leftover luminarias to raise money for the school, but I am having trouble finding where I saw that originally.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,068,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Where's "around here?"

I'll be in town this weekend, so maybe I'll pick some up.
Four Hills Shopping Center area - and I got it wrong - its 12 for $7

Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 AM

3,695 posts, read 6,311,613 times
Great! Thanks for the information!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:20 PM

731 posts, read 1,037,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
When I first learned the distinction between the two words years ago, I learned that farolitos are the little candle lights in the paper bags.

Luminarias are bonfires.

As the words evolved over time, the word for the little candle/bags remained farolitos in the northern part of the state, but in ABQ and south of there, the word luminaria for the candles came into usage.
Good post. For some reason ABQ decided to call them luminarias. Farolito means little fire.

I just make my own. Buy bags and candles and usually the concrete places around town will let you get free sand.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:53 AM

1,287 posts, read 2,221,268 times
I've been using electric luminarias with accompanying braces for three years now. The braces attach to the luminarias and slide over the top of the fence.

They don't look too 'enchanting' during the day, but at night they look fine.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:39 AM

17,142 posts, read 17,839,317 times
Default Luminaria or Farolito

My understanding has pretty much always been:
A luminaria or farolito is a light or little lantern, usually a candle inside a paper lamp shade, which is of significance among New World Hispanics at Christmas time.

A farolito is carried by the leader of a Posada procession. Las Posadas is a nine-day holiday beginning December 16 and ending December 24.

In the U.S. states of New Mexico, Arizona and west Texas luminarias are made from brown paper bags weighted down with sand and illuminated from within by a lit candle and traditionally displayed on Christmas Eve.
Luminaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque