U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-23-2008, 08:40 AM

155 posts, read 187,142 times
Default Best Grocery Store For Thanksgiving Shopping?

It's that time of year again.....Whooooooooo Hoooooooooo!

With us being new to the area I was wondering if someone could recommend the best grocery store for Thanksgiving shopping? We currently do our grocery shopping at Walmart, but I am wondering if it may be cheaper to go somewhere else. The options I've seen out here in Rio Rancho are; Walmart, Albertsons, and Smiths. If someone could tell me where the cheapest place to shop for the holidays is, I would appreciate it.

Thanks and happy holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:47 AM

3,068 posts, read 5,032,324 times
I shop at Smith's. Got my frozen turkey there for 29cents/lb. Pick up their rewards card and you will save from 5 to 15 cents per gallon for their gas. We filled up for $1.72/gal. on Friday.

I go to Albertson's occasionally but they are priced higher.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:44 AM

3,062 posts, read 5,930,995 times
I am in Santa Fe, so not the best expert on shopping in the ABQ/Rio Rancho area, but I'll throw in my vote for Smith's.

We got our turkey there for 29 a pound as well. They seem to have the best prices.

I also like to shop at Trader Joe's for unusual things at pretty low prices. (ABQ has a Trader Joe's, doesn't it?)

Old 11-23-2008, 01:42 PM

47,264 posts, read 37,235,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I shop at Smith's. Got my frozen turkey there for 29cents/lb. Pick up their rewards card and you will save from 5 to 15 cents per gallon for their gas. We filled up for $1.72/gal. on Friday.

I go to Albertson's occasionally but they are priced higher.
We always did Abertsons but I do like the specials at Smith's. It is just the cleanliness of the 2 stores in Las Lunas, Albertsons was cleaner with better produce: wow, .29 a lb for turkey, the cheapest it was here was .79, surprised the heck out of me: the good news, gas here today, $1.51.

Nita

Old 11-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I am in Santa Fe, so not the best expert on shopping in the ABQ/Rio Rancho area, but I'll throw in my vote for Smith's.

We got our turkey there for 29 a pound as well. They seem to have the best prices.

I also like to shop at Trader Joe's for unusual things at pretty low prices. (ABQ has a Trader Joe's, doesn't it?)
The best Trader Joe's I have seen is in Abq, boy do I miss that. We won't get one here for god knows how long, until the repeal the no booze laws...

Nita

Old 11-23-2008, 02:13 PM

918 posts, read 1,664,970 times
I do the house's shopping at the Albertson's on Candelaria and Eubank but I always get our bird fresh from Keller's (just across Eubank for the East side location.) and brine it. The Albertson's isn't the latest and greatest, but the staff is friendly and the store is neat. Albertson's bought some of the old Raley's locations, so there's actually another Albertson's just up the block at Candelaria and Juan Tabo that's got some of the 'boutique deli 3000' look that seems to be sweeping new grocery chains.

Albertson's no longer requires the little card to get the 'store specials' pricing. If you see a special, you're eligible without having to give you're data ID over. Also, they're running a holiday special right now where every time you spend more than $100, you get a certificate for a $10 gift card. They have a wide selection of cards you can choose from. If you do that 5 times during the promo, they kick in an additional $50 gift card. Just a head's up. Oh yeah, just make sure you pick a card for a company that is or still will be in business!

There's a story in today's 'Journal talking about how people with gift cards to these companies that are filing are getting completely shafted. Zero value and no recourse for recovery. If I were a competitor, I would offer to give them .50 on the dollar for the value of their card. Give the customer some comfort from their loss and possibly win them to your brand.

If you're interested in a Keller's bird, you need to select him and get on a reserve list with a commitment to a pick up date. I don't know the price per pound, but I'm sure it's not competitive on price alone.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:45 PM

143 posts, read 288,315 times
The price for per pound at kellers for a fresh Turkey is about $2.35. But well worth it!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
I do the house's shopping at the Albertson's on Candelaria and Eubank but I always get our bird fresh from Keller's (just across Eubank for the East side location.) and brine it. The Albertson's isn't the latest and greatest, but the staff is friendly and the store is neat. Albertson's bought some of the old Raley's locations, so there's actually another Albertson's just up the block at Candelaria and Juan Tabo that's got some of the 'boutique deli 3000' look that seems to be sweeping new grocery chains.

Albertson's no longer requires the little card to get the 'store specials' pricing. If you see a special, you're eligible without having to give you're data ID over. Also, they're running a holiday special right now where every time you spend more than $100, you get a certificate for a $10 gift card. They have a wide selection of cards you can choose from. If you do that 5 times during the promo, they kick in an additional $50 gift card. Just a head's up. Oh yeah, just make sure you pick a card for a company that is or still will be in business!

There's a story in today's 'Journal talking about how people with gift cards to these companies that are filing are getting completely shafted. Zero value and no recourse for recovery. If I were a competitor, I would offer to give them .50 on the dollar for the value of their card. Give the customer some comfort from their loss and possibly win them to your brand.

If you're interested in a Keller's bird, you need to select him and get on a reserve list with a commitment to a pick up date. I don't know the price per pound, but I'm sure it's not competitive on price alone.
this was brought to our attention when we were still in ABQ about the gift cards. Knowing we would re-locate I asked for a gift card for Christmas last year to buy a few things for our home in NWA. I got one for Linens and Things, knowing they were in trouble before they completely folded I used it, thank goodness. Sure they are getting shafted and it sucks. Whether they are going under or not, they have someone's money...

I think there is so much to this "going under story" much more than the economy. I think it has a lot to do with our shopping trends today, but that is for another thread.

Nita

Old 11-24-2008, 06:57 PM

497 posts, read 532,727 times
I like Keller's and have (had) shopped there for years. "Norm" in supplements/personal care is the best. One of the things I liked about them was the self service whole chickens; now behind the counter. Not that long ago, I was there, probably looking a bit confused, and a woman behind the counter asked if she could help me. I asked where were the self service whole chickens. She said she would get one for me, as they were no longer self service. Another customer thought I had "got ahead" of her; she just about had, well, she was pretty upset, AT ME, not the clerk. It was pretty unpleasant.

Yes, the quality is good, but I don't need that. At Wild Oats, or is is now Whole Foods (?) at Juan Tabo and Menaul, the what I felt was a mediocre seafood/meat/poultry counter has now been replaced with a self service one. As a customer I like to see close up what I am getting.

There went my shopping loyalty.

Thanks ziaAirmac for all the info- I sent you a dm because I was not allowed to add to your rep here.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 PM

244 posts, read 279,736 times
i just get the butterball turkeys now. wait, is that a real thing? anyway, i'm just saying butterball meat is so good, a bit pricey though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque