Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christylou View Post
Is it just my imagination or does water boil faster here? Please dont' laugh, I know that sounds kind of dumb but seriously, I think it does.
It's not dumb at all.

Here you go:

Boiling Water at Higher Elevations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christylou View Post
Is it just my imagination or does water boil faster here? Please dont' laugh, I know that sounds kind of dumb but seriously, I think it does.
Trying to ignore Gay-Lussac's law, just remember that water is not as hot here as it is at lower elevations where you were at.

So you have cook longer....

Pretty neat that you noticed it... I won't say anything about my lovely wife other than she brought home a delicious pizza from Dion's tonight.

Rich

Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Rich, let's hear about your wife and her experience's with cooking.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 PM

153 posts, read 211,619 times
Default Calibrate your oven

This might help if you can get Ortega's to come out and calibrate your oven.
You do not need to do any of the high altitude adjustments as some recipes call for, unless you are making a soufle!
Unless you are over 5500 ft I would not fret!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Rich, let's hear about your wife and her experience's with cooking.
What makes you think she can't cook

My lovely wife of 39 years is a great cook, finally. It took her a while. She is from West Virginia so she was accustomed to different food than what I grew up with.

I'm not going to go through all the stories, cause like I said, my lovely wife of 39 years is a great cook.

Our first Thanksgiving we could not afford a turkey so she decided on pork chops, we could afford two frozen ones. She put the two frozen pork chops in a frying pan, added some cold Wesson oil, then turned on the heat. For those of you who do not cook you might think that is how it's done. It's amazing how bad those pork chops tasted...

But now my lovely wife of 39 years is a great cook.

Rich

Old 03-28-2009, 11:31 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Rich, oops maybe I misunderstood and thought your wife had some stories with her high altitude cooking because you said she brought home a pizza.
I guess right away I'm thinking, she messed something up and went out and got a pizza.
That's happened to me a couple of times but not here.
Unfortunately, in Timberon, if something messes up cooking wise, there are no restaurants to go to.
Anyway that's why I said what I said. Remembering funny and messy experiences.

Spyrye, I'm at a little over 7000 feet.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM

429 posts, read 1,477,540 times
Rich... I still sense there are stories to be heard about your lovely wife of 39 yrs great cooking. She doesn't by chance read the forum does she? Hee hee

Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 AM

265 posts, read 808,831 times
Oh, Towanda, sourdough doesn't work up here? Bummer! I haven't tried it yet, but was thinking about starting a batch of starter ... If I do get around to it one of these days, I'll report the results, no matter how sad.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
Unless you are over 5500 ft I would not fret!
I think a lot of us are over 5500ft, aren't we?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Rich, oops maybe I misunderstood and thought your wife had some stories with her high altitude cooking because you said she brought home a pizza.
Naw, she stops by Dions sometimes on the way home from work and gets a pre cooked pizza. Dion's has pretty good pizza's, subs and salads.

I have been making my own pizza's over the years, looking for my pictures and recipe. You can also buy fresh pizza dough at Dion's.

The trick for home made pizza is the pizza stone which you can get cheap at Wal-Mart. The other trick is getting the pizza on the hot stone, supposed to use a 'Peel' like a shovel....

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque