Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM

20 posts, read 41,678 times

Advertisements

Nope sorry, too much air will cause a product at H.A. to sink. What you did was simply what the container suggests, mixed it up. It is always suggested to shake the buttermilk container prior to using, as the thicker portion tends to sink to the bottom, hence separating. The same occurs at sea level, thus it is not the H.A. that causes this separation, it's just how buttermilk is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 AM

96 posts, read 409,005 times
For meatballs and hamburgers, I finely chop an italian squash (zuccini), and use it instead of the egg. Just making it more moist helps it bind, which is all the egg is doing. Sometimes I don't like how the egg tastes, and it's less calories too

Old 05-20-2009, 10:31 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,015,969 times
How do pies differ baking at HA rather than 600'? We have a pie contest July 4th in Timberon.. Husband wants to win again this year..LOL

Old 05-20-2009, 09:30 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,234,182 times
And what type of pie does he make? We'd already planned to be in Timberon on the 4th, so this may make it more interesting..... lol

Old 05-20-2009, 09:43 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,015,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
And what type of pie does he make? We'd already planned to be in Timberon on the 4th, so this may make it more interesting..... lol
So glad you will come visit Timberon. There will be quite a few of us from CD there that week.

Last year he made a peanut butter pie that is to die for.. and beat out 9 women.. some were not to happy about it They are gunning for him this year.. I posted it on the food thread: o my I like pie..
this year not sure yet.. still testing them out..

Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmuffin View Post
Nope sorry, too much air will cause a product at H.A. to sink. What you did was simply what the container suggests, mixed it up. It is always suggested to shake the buttermilk container prior to using, as the thicker portion tends to sink to the bottom, hence separating. The same occurs at sea level, thus it is not the H.A. that causes this separation, it's just how buttermilk is.
This particular container was way beyond mere separation, and I couldn't get it to go back together with just shaking it--so it went in the blender.

I guess my being at a lower altitude (4500) was the reason that the muffins didn't fall.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
So glad you will come visit Timberon. There will be quite a few of us from CD there that week.

Last year he made a peanut butter pie that is to die for.. and beat out 9 women.. some were not to happy about it They are gunning for him this year.. I posted it on the food thread: o my I like pie..
The pie was indeed delicious...and so is your Key Lime one....!!

I didn't find out that so many men won't cook (other than grilling outside) until I left home. Daddy always cooked, and was a good cook. All of his brothers also cooked. Both of my parents may have learned out of self-defense, since both their mothers were just terrible cooks.

SO, on the other hand......forget it.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,234,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post

Uh oh. *I* make a killer pb pie too! It's the kids' favorite. I'll have to go look at his recipe and see how it compares to mine.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:09 PM

265 posts, read 804,444 times
I've frozen guacamole, and it does work. Not quite as good as fresh, but certainly better than going without!

When I get a windfall of ripe, tasty avocados, I make up a big batch to freeze in serving-size portions. I leave out the salt and add more lemon or lime juice than usual to keep the color. I use those suck-n-seal bags to keep the air out.

To use it, I thaw it in the fridge. Don't defrost it in the microwave! (I tried that once, and it was ugly.) Once it's thawed, it's usually a little watery so I drain that off, then add the salt as needed, sometimes some fresh chopped tomatoes, maybe some minced garlic (which doesn't freeze well, either), and serve.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:15 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,332,469 times
I've never made peanut butter pie, but I LOVE it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque