Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:20 AM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times

Advertisements

Ouch! At least you were thoughtful enough to put down the piece of aluminum foil. Saved you some cleanup. Glad you have a sense of humor about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
I have made pizza crust with no additions or eliminations of any thing and it turned out fine.
Same with package mix brownies and cake, although I did bake them according to the high altitude directions on the box.
Please tell me my turkey will still turn out delicious. LOL

Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
My pizza crust turned out great too -- rose a lot and didn't fall.

Your turkey will turn out delicious.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:12 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
In addition to rising faster and falling harder, remember water boils at a lower temperature. That adds a dimension most cooks fail to account for. Any recipe that requires moist internal heating will require less moisture to achieve the same level of steam, but will require longer baking times and lower temperatures.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
All this is the result of decreased ambient air pressure. Breads rise faster on the same amount of yeast. Baking powder is more like gun powder. Water boils without getting boiling hot. I have no real idea how to make the adjustments for baking at lower pressure and temperature (for as long as the water is liquid) but for cooking pot roasts, stews and soups an old fashioned pressure cooker is your friend. The pressure in these is not related to the outside air pressure but to the weight used to close the vent. Gravity, hence the pressure needed, to open the controller is independent of altitude.

FWIW – did you ever notice that you cannot get a really hot cup of coffee on an airliner? This is because the cabin pressure altitude is 8,000 ft or higher. You feel cold and sleepy for the same reason. You are bored because you are 30,000 ft above a nearly featureless cloud deck but that is another post.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 AM

266 posts, read 911,231 times
I just checked out a cookbook at the library called "CakeLove: How to Bake Cakes from Scratch." Interestingly, even though the author lives in Washington, DC, he has included high-altitude directions for all his recipes. Might be worth checking out.

By the way, I NEVER got any of my loaf breads to bake properly while I was in New Mexico! They would never cook all the way through the middle--or if they did, they would get very brown and hard on the outside.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Tina:

After I don't know how many bread failures, I resorted to a bread recipe our cousin in Santa Fe gave me 38 years ago when I was learning to make bread.

I decided last week if that bread always worked for her, maybe it would work for me too.

The result ---- PERFECT bread.

It rose very big and didn't collapse and it was baked all the way through.

I was rejoicing -- I will be using that recipe from now on!

Old 11-26-2008, 02:01 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Let me join the chorus of complaints about high altitude baking. I've found instructions for adjusting baking powder, flour etc. but still have many disappointments. I used to be a great cake baker, but I never know when I'm going to have a failure. Frustrating! I stick to pies now. lol.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,246 times
I am more of a cook than a baker. I'm in Albuquerque, but against the open space in the foothills so I guess that would add to the altitude. Through trial and error- a couple of things that generally work for me: for cookies and cakes- spray aluminum foil with some Pam like product (I like Albertson's canola spray) and cover the product lightly for the first 1/3 or so of baking time.

I also place the cake layer pan on another thin baking sheet. And I'll do the same for casserole dishes, like scalloped potatoes or dishes like frittatas and quiche. Usually works; I think what throws me off more than the altitude is when it is raining. Don't bake much on those rare days.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:06 PM

429 posts, read 1,476,700 times
I will certainly be putting them on another cookie sheet or something... Yep, I have a good sense of humor - AFTER the fact. My husband came in to see if the house was on fire, I growled & glared and he went back out to rake leaves. A website I found recommended "High Altitude Cooking" (can't remember the two authors) published in 1980 I think. With all the adjustments to ingredients I think it will be easier to just buy it at Costco or something. 'Course it won't be as exiting as boiling cakes but not as messy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque