Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM

8 posts, read 31,112 times

Advertisements

The economy is bad everywhere, however it's got to be better than where I am located.
With thoughts of moving to Albuquerque [or close by] in the near future, I need to know the pulse of the job market, primarily the transportation sector and if there are any Union shops in the mix.
Short of posting my resume here, I will say that my career has been as a driver. That's where I would like to stay.

With that said, I'm not some snot nosed kid or inexperienced. I'm a crusty old fart that knows the ropes.

So, if y'all have a view, gripe, answer or whatever....speak up....please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 12,137 times
We're wondering this ourselves. Hubby & I are seriously thinking about a relocating to your lovely city but we wonder - though the area is beautiful & warm & it seems like we'd be happier there (we're in Springfield MA right now, so do a search for that city & see what you come up with - it's won't be uplifting). Is the job situation any brighter? We're tentatively planning a visit in 2/09 for a look see around & also doing lots of internet searching such as this forum for realistic views from locals both native & transplanted. How is the construction trade out there (Hubby's a carpenter with mucho experience) & I run a vintage clothing business as well as do other stuff to fill in the gaps. Neither of us have ever been afraid of hard work. We're not spring chickens either. Any help appreciated! Thanks.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:31 PM

416 posts, read 1,398,965 times
I couldn't really tell you about the job market since hubby brought his job with him when we moved here last year.

I just wanted to send well wishes! We love it here!

Old 12-02-2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks veggggies Overall I do get a positive vibe from the people on this forum at least.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:40 PM

416 posts, read 1,398,965 times

I would think with all the construction going on around here, that your hubby would be able to find a job easily. Good luck in whatever you choose!

Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,915,856 times
The Job Situation is overall pretty good. Construction is down everywhere across the nation, but the effect was far less severe in Albuquerque. It would be a good place. I honestly don't know how the situation is for a driver...I am sure it couldn't be too bad.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,899,950 times
I have a friend whose husband is an electrician and has been following the Smiths grocery store remodeling project all over the state. Probably too late to get in on that action but it has been a boon to them as far as steady work goes.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the replies & well wishes, sounds good so far. Other sources have said good things about the handy trades in your area also so that makes me feel good.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM

9 posts, read 18,368 times
It seems like we are fairing as bad as any other city.

The University is in the midst of a hiring freeze...until further notice. UNM is one of the biggest employers in this city.

I know the city is always looking for competent bus drivers; although, I have heard rumors of a hiring freeze at the city as well.

Vintage clothing would go over well here, especially in the UNM Nob Hill area.

If you want to get an idea of what is going on in Albuquerque, look at dukecityfix.com. Folks at that site are pretty straight-forward about things going on in Albuquerque...just ask!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryko View Post
If you want to get an idea of what is going on in Albuquerque, look at dukecityfix.com. Folks at that site are pretty straight-forward about things going on in Albuquerque...just ask!
You've done five posts and over half of them have advertised another site. Do you own shares in that site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque