Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 10:47 AM

85 posts, read 126,688 times

Advertisements

I've been doing sooo much thinking the last couple weeks about where to move! I originally started out thinking about Albuquerque, but sort of dismissed it because of the black widows and scorpions (ew!). But as I've been making charts and weighing pros and cons, it still has the best stats from a logical perspective (the only city I'm considering with just one major con).

So digging a little deeper, I'm now wondering more about Albuquerque's typical weather during each season. How often do you have to break out the snow boots/get thunderstorms/have to slather on sunscreen (only when out for a while?) etc.? How is the summer heat; are people ever hesitant to spend time outdoors because of it? How often do people have to shovel snow in winter? Do people even own winter coats? Is fall a noticeable season? What season are people outside the most?

Etc.

I'm just looking to get a feel for what's NORMAL in ABQ.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 12:20 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
I've been doing sooo much thinking the last couple weeks about where to move! I originally started out thinking about Albuquerque, but sort of dismissed it because of the black widows and scorpions (ew!).
That is your loss. Did you happen to see how many people have died in New Mexico from Black Widows? My count is zero.

From: Latrodectus mactans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The southern widow is primarily found in (and is indigenous to) the southeastern United States, ranging from Florida to New York, and west to Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, and Nevada. The northern black widow (L. variolus) is found primarily in the northeastern United States and southeastern Canada, though its range overlaps with that of L. mactans. In Canada, black widows range in the southern parts of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario

Also From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus_variolus Latrodectus variolus, the Northern black widow spider or Northern widow is a common find in Middle Atlantic States (New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland). During the April–May mating season, it can travel northbound along the coast to as far as Massachusetts. It also occurs in Connecticut in late Summer. It is also found, albeit rarely, in southern Ontario, Canada.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
I'm now wondering more about Albuquerque's typical weather during each season.
Quote:
How often do you have to break out the snow boots/get thunderstorms/have to slather on sunscreen (only when out for a while?) etc.?
Twice in 15 years, only cause I wanted to make sure I no longer needed them. We get thunderstorms, I have not counted them, I will guess seven a year? Light skinned people might consider sunscreen a couple of hundred days per year.

Quote:
How is the summer heat; are people ever hesitant to spend time outdoors because of it? How often do people have to shovel snow in winter? Do people even own winter coats? Is fall a noticeable season? What season are people outside the most?
Hot and dry but usually not over 100. No, never. Twice in 15 years. I have two winter coats which I bought before moving here. Yes Fall is noticeable. I have been out every day of the year since 1998 except when I have been out of town or sick, I made a point of doing that when I moved out,,,

Read these threads:
Does the weather ever get old?
Poll: How Do You Feel About ABQ's Annual WEATHER?
Albuquerque Weather
Weather - Albuquerque - Sunshine Days

Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is your loss. Did you happen to see how many people have died in New Mexico from Black Widows? My count is zero.

From: Latrodectus mactans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The southern widow is primarily found in (and is indigenous to) the southeastern United States, ranging from Florida to New York, and west to Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, and Nevada. The northern black widow (L. variolus) is found primarily in the northeastern United States and southeastern Canada, though its range overlaps with that of L. mactans. In Canada, black widows range in the southern parts of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario

Also From: Latrodectus variolus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Latrodectus variolus, the Northern black widow spider or Northern widow is a common find in Middle Atlantic States (New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland). During the April–May mating season, it can travel northbound along the coast to as far as Massachusetts. It also occurs in Connecticut in late Summer. It is also found, albeit rarely, in southern Ontario, Canada.
Well that's why I'm putting it back on my list, because I determined that's a silly reason to rule it out. Just had gotten a little creeped out reading one of the other threads about creepy crawlies living in couches and beds and waking up with bites. Also, I heard you should just avoid sticking your hand anywhere you can't see, because one could be living in there. Some of those comments scared me a little. Lol.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks, I will! :-)

Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
In seven years here, I've never seen a black widow (though I saw them often enough in Phoenix) and, yes, on occasion I do see scorpions. But I've never been bitten or heard of anyone who has. The dangers here are minimal and shouldn't persuade you not to come.

We have four distinct seasons here. Having come from the Northeast I find winters here a breeze. Not much snow, melted by midday and sometimes cold but usually sunny and tolerable. Spring brings wind. Falls are pleasant without the sharp downturns and gloomy skies that happen sometimes up north. Summers are hot, sometimes a bother, but only infrequently top 100. And fairly dry compared to the east--south and north. You can usually be outside in all four seasons, which I can't say the same for FL or AZ or much of the north in winter. When it comes to climate I think Albuquerque is tops. Moderate four seasons. I think it is underrated and I can't fathom why AZ and FL or the southeast get so many people moving there.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM

154 posts, read 346,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
We have four distinct seasons here.
I respectfully submit there are seven seasons in New Mexico:

1. Winter
  2. Spring
  3. Dusty Wind or Windy Dust, your call
  4. Summer
  5. Monsoon
  6. ChileRoasting
  7. Fall

Old 09-12-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzurie View Post
I respectfully submit there are seven seasons in New Mexico:

1. Winter
  2. Spring
  3. Dusty Wind or Windy Dust, your call
  4. Summer
  5. Monsoon
  6. ChileRoasting
  7. Fall
Haha, love it! Would enjoy hearing your descriptions of those! :-)

Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 PM

212 posts, read 538,699 times
I personally encountered two black widows over my 4 years living in ABQ. They build small webs near the ground. Large, plump spider with the trademark red hourglass on its back. Had to kill one of them with a fly swatter. We had a cat and he would no doubt try to eat it or something. Plus I think it was pregnant since it blew up so much, so I think I saved the neighborhood from a black widow outbreak circa Arachnophobeia. One was outside my apartment in the NE heights, the other was in the back yard of a house on the west side. Never saw a scorpion.
Winters are so easy in Abq. You will need a winter coat and gloves, but will probably never get wet. Hardly ever rains, epic drought. Your windshield wipers will probabaly dry up and rot away without getting much use, and you wont know you need new ones until you actually need them. I remember one winter it freakishly got down to like 9 degrees and people's pipes were bursting. But that was a rare bit of weather. Summer is brutally hot and blindingly sunny. Be sure your house/apt has refrigerated AC and not swamp cooler technology, unless you weigh 90 pounds and 85 degrees feels comfortable to you. Invest in a few pairs of expensive Polarized sun glasses to protect your eyes.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
OP: your fears are all unfounded.

Summer mornings are bliss. Usually start out in the upper 60's to about 70, gradually increasing throughout the day and can get quite hot (upper 90's) by 5 pm, so if you're going to do some strenuous activity outside during the summer you'll want to do it in the morning. I have had a swamp cooler here for over 20 years and it works great for me, and no I'm not 90 lbs. I'm not overweight either.

Daily temperatures vary widely all year, so summer mornings are comfortable, and winter afternoons are comfortable. Winter mornings can be very cold, in the 20's. So throughout the year you can find some time of day when it's great to be outside. And if summer afternoons are too hot for you, the mountains are a short drive away where it's 20 degrees cooler.

The sun is very strong here due to the elevation and lack of humidity. So if you're not careful you can burn easily. Take the smart approach and gradually build up your sun exposure. About 5 minutes in the sun here is probably equivalent to 20 minutes in Wisconsin. You can burn here even in the winter if you're in it long enough.

I have never seen a scorpion, depends on where you live. More common on the outskirts of ABQ, just like rattlesnakes. The scorpions here are not dangerous. I have seen many black widows over the years but they won't bother you. They kill insects. They are a natural part of the ecosystem. I have heard of people who have been bitten by a black widow (nobody personally) but that is extremely rare, probably almost as rare as getting struck by lightning.

Edit to add: Fall is not only a noticeable season, it is memorable, if you take the time to drive into the mountains to see the golden aspens.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” --Helen Keller
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque