U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-27-2008, 09:18 PM

2,320 posts, read 3,899,668 times

Advertisements

I moved from Fredericksburg, Texas to Albuquerque in 2000 and have never regretted it. My parents and sister live in San Antonio; my sister was telling me today on the phone about the traffic and problems developing there. I loved the hill country but don't miss it that much; I am happier here.

Maybe the North Valley would be your best bet. Corrales and Los Ranchos du Albuquerque are also possibilities. These areas are not in the hills though, they are in the bosque which I think you would really like. The bosque has a good vibe like the hill country. North Valley & Los Ranchos would also give you the short commute to downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Hey ya'll! My wife 2 young ones and I are considering moving to Albuquerque from the Boerne just outside of the San Antonio Metro. We have narrowed our search between Albuquerque and Oklahoma City. I kinda figue cost of living is going to be cheaper in OKC, but I am looking for a place somewhat in the hills, or with a great view. I run my own Disaster Relief business where I travel all over the US, so location for work is no concern. We are looking for around 3 to 10 acres with 4/2.5 at least and between 2300 and 3500sqft. Preferably no new neighborhoods with model homes, rather something built in the 70's or earlier with personallity. I would like restrictions, but need to build a medium sized barn, or have an existing one for trailers, and heavy equipment, and don't need an HOA telling me I can't have ATV's, a small pond etc. I am not too familiar with the price ranges in the area, but would like to stay within the 300k mark. Also a small commute to downtown is ok, but preferably nothing over 20 to 30min. with some local amenities. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 09:22 PM

2,320 posts, read 3,899,668 times
I don't miss H.E.B. at all! 6 months after you move here you will wonder how you ever shopped at such a place, if you can even remember it!!
Quote:
HEB is deffinately getting old! Oh, I am guilty of being one of those "Republic of Texas" individuals though, just ready for something new.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:05 PM

522 posts, read 1,025,279 times
Alb is much better than oklahoma city in my opinion. OK city is sweltering in the summer with the humidity. Alb. is, as has been said, a dry heat, and much more bearable. Plus, it's just way prettier with a lot more interesting culture. East Mountains would be a good place for you - not nearly as hot in the summer but more snow in the winter - but affordable for what you want in your price range. I love San Antonio - been there many times and it has its charms. But, if you want a change, and you say you do, Alb. would most certainly be the better change. I lived there 13 years and am from the midwest. I left there and do not regret leaving (altho I regret moving to se florida) but I also do not regret the years I spent there. It is unique - something OK city is not.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 AM

12 posts, read 19,065 times
TX-Aggie13, for what it's worth, I have lived in ABQ all of my life. Traveled NM, TX and OK doing sales years ago so familiar with all 3 states. NM is a really special place. The majority of the state is publicly owned and if you own a 4 wheeler you can go ride in the mountains for days and camp along rivers with no company around you and all for free. The Rio Grande river is a huge play ground for adults with varying activities from the top of the state to the bottom.
We a culture diversified. The majority changes in each neighborhood and I have friends of all nationalities which all have different hobbies. If you love the outdoors come to NM.
As far as living in the hills? East mountains is right in your ball park for land, house and price. Find a good Realtor who can preview the house before you come and show you only what you are looking for. Be very specific. The deals are great right now in the foreclosure market. If you don't have anyone email me and I can help you or refer to a good one (I'm not that great as I work as a firefighter and would rather be hunting and then sell real estate in between...lol). My email is [EMAIL="jim@mynmbroker.com"]jim@mynmbroker.com[/EMAIL]. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for, Jim

Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,012,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqff View Post
TX-Aggie13, for what it's worth, I have lived in ABQ all of my life. Traveled NM, TX and OK doing sales years ago so familiar with all 3 states. NM is a really special place. The majority of the state is publicly owned and if you own a 4 wheeler you can go ride in the mountains for days and camp along rivers with no company around you and all for free. The Rio Grande river is a huge play ground for adults with varying activities from the top of the state to the bottom.
We a culture diversified. The majority changes in each neighborhood and I have friends of all nationalities which all have different hobbies. If you love the outdoors come to NM.
As far as living in the hills? East mountains is right in your ball park for land, house and price. Find a good Realtor who can preview the house before you come and show you only what you are looking for. Be very specific. The deals are great right now in the foreclosure market. If you don't have anyone email me and I can help you or refer to a good one (I'm not that great as I work as a firefighter and would rather be hunting and then sell real estate in between...lol). My email is jim@mynmbroker.com. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for, Jim
Thank you very much! That is actually in my personal opinion one of the most appealing factors of New Mexico. Im a huge outdoorsman, and my father preached New Mexico on me most of his life. I actually will not be requiring a Realtor, but I thank you very much for the offer. I have devoted my life here on out to a Non-Profit Disaster Relief Organization, but made my living, and still do in Real Estate. That being said I have a Real Estate Attorney friend in New Mexico who is already on the look for me. Btw...my wife and I have decided that Albuquerque is for us!!! We should be moving out that way before the fall of 09'. Thanks to everyone in here as well for all the help.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 PM

3,059 posts, read 6,339,736 times
TX-AGGIE13 --

Congratulations on making your decision!

I hope it will be the exact right choice for you as it has been for so many of us.

Now...as far as this "Texas Aggie" business ....

From Towanda the Kansas Jayhawk

Old 01-01-2009, 01:13 PM

731 posts, read 1,075,768 times
The Texas Aggies and Kansas Jayhawks need to become New Mexico Lobos!

Old 01-01-2009, 03:34 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,012,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Hey hey guys!! Nothing wrong with friendly rivalry! That's what it's all about right? <----- Gig' Em!

Old 01-01-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Hey hey guys!! Nothing wrong with friendly rivalry! That's what it's all about right? <----- Gig' Em!
Beak 'em!

Old 01-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
I am learning to love the New Mexico Lobos.

Just not an alum for life like I am for Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque