Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:04 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,398 times

Advertisements

Hey ya'll! My wife 2 young ones and I are considering moving to Albuquerque from the Boerne just outside of the San Antonio Metro. We have narrowed our search between Albuquerque and Oklahoma City. I kinda figue cost of living is going to be cheaper in OKC, but I am looking for a place somewhat in the hills, or with a great view. I run my own Disaster Relief business where I travel all over the US, so location for work is no concern. We are looking for around 3 to 10 acres with 4/2.5 at least and between 2300 and 3500sqft. Preferably no new neighborhoods with model homes, rather something built in the 70's or earlier with personallity. I would like restrictions, but need to build a medium sized barn, or have an existing one for trailers, and heavy equipment, and don't need an HOA telling me I can't have ATV's, a small pond etc. I am not too familiar with the price ranges in the area, but would like to stay within the 300k mark. Also a small commute to downtown is ok, but preferably nothing over 20 to 30min. with some local amenities. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 05:30 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,648 times
MLS

Choose your search parameters and see if anything like what you ar looking for is available.

good luck.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:16 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
I lived in San Antonio for nine years and I loved it except for the hot weather.

May I ask your reason for considering a move?

If it were me, and no offense to the folks in Oklahoma, but my personal choice would be Albuquerque just for the scenery, the unique culture and the FOOD!

3-10 acres, 2300-3500 square foot, $300,000 range, 20-30 minutes from ABQ might be a challenge.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:27 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,324 times
If you can handle a 30-45 minute drive to Albuquerque then you currently have about 5 choices in the east mountains under $300k, if you can live with 2 acres+ then you can double your current choices.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 PM

My reason for considering Albuquerque is simply "change". Don't get me wrong, I love San Antonio, but my wife doesn't like the hot weather. Plus she has lived her whole life in Texas, and I told her I thought it might be good for us to start researching other areas. MY father lived in Alamogordo many years back, and untill he passed said he absolutely loved New Mexico. Oklahoma is where much of our family lives, and would also be slightly north of where we are without going somewhere too cold for us. Both areas seem to have hills in the area which is good. I am anti flat land for miles like East Texas where I was raised. I have lived in many larger cities (Sao Paulo, Rio, Jacksonville, FL., Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Phili, DC) and I know I don't want that anymore, but also do not want a town of 20k or less. Albuquerque and OKC are between 1m and 1.5m in the metros and that is perfect for us as long as we are on the outskirts. As for the 2, we know that OKC is cheaper, and that is a factor, but also know Albuquerque is probably our goal. It all depends on if we can find anything like what we are looking for there.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,657 times
Ha, Albuquerque actually has a mountain where OKC just has...hills. Ha! Don't get me wrong, I like both cities but OKC won't be that much cooler in the summer. Albuquerque will be hot, but its a dry heat...a very very dry heat. I think you should take a trip to both cities and see which one makes you happier. Really Ironic, i knew a family who moved here from Boerne just two years ago, they have since moved back to San Marcos.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:26 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,633 times
Yep, no mountains in Okla City. But if you're only looking for hills then the NE parts of the city [NE of the Capital] would work [and there's also land available], so it could be a good choice. Albuq & Okla City are two of my absolute favorite places, so IMO either one is a great choice. On one hand it would be great to be near family, but if your goal is to be in Albuq, then I would say go for it. Your relatives in Okla are probably within a day's drive with is acceptable [for me]. I've driven the ABQ - OKC route countless times and it's a short 7½ hrs.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:01 PM

43 posts, read 130,472 times
I would probably pick Albuquerque over San Antonio. In Texas people drive really weird and they tend to think they live in a separate country (the republic of Texas?). If you go grocery shopping, you have no choice but H.E.B which is the name of the local supermarket but no matter where you go in the metro area you see NOTHING but H.E.B. but I love the RIVERWALK!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustic35 View Post
I would probably pick Albuquerque over San Antonio. In Texas people drive really weird and they tend to think they live in a separate country (the republic of Texas?). If you go grocery shopping, you have no choice but H.E.B which is the name of the local supermarket but no matter where you go in the metro area you see NOTHING but H.E.B. but I love the RIVERWALK!
Well, im not chosing between San Antonio, and Albuquerque. I currently live in the San Antonio Metro, and am looking at Oklahoma City, and Albuquerque, but thanks. I agree with you about the drivers in San Antonio, which I might add are not typical of other major Texas cities. HEB is deffinately getting old! Oh, I am guilty of being one of those "Republic of Texas" individuals though, just ready for something new.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Well, im not chosing between San Antonio, and Albuquerque. I currently live in the San Antonio Metro, and am looking at Oklahoma City, and Albuquerque, but thanks. I agree with you about the drivers in San Antonio, which I might add are not typical of other major Texas cities. HEB is deffinately getting old! Oh, I am guilty of being one of those "Republic of Texas" individuals though, just ready for something new.
Well, for what it's worth, I MISS HEB, and I'd kill to have one in EP. It is one of the very few things I'd drive 80 miles for. I moved to Alamo from Midland....and HEB, my vet and good restaurants are what I miss the most, especially good Mexican food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque