Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:50 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times

Advertisements

One of our cost considerations though is that if we live in town (except on the base) all three of our kids would go to parochial school to the tune of $1100 per month - and that is with the discount for being Catholic! - we make too much money to qualify for need based financial aid (and will NOT liquidate our modest retirement accounts to try to qualify - that's the rub of being middle class). In Edgewood, we would use one of the three Edgewood elementary schools. On base, we would send the kids to Sandia Base school, probably the only school in APS I would dare try. Adobe Acres did look kind of cute, but Adobe Acres Elementary does not look too promising.

Living on base would be awfully convenient, but investing in a home that could appreciate in value faster than average would be very helpful for our next move to a more expensive place. We have a lot to put down on paper and figure out. We just cannot afford to buy in an area where we would also have a $1100/mo tuition payment.

We just feel that we do not want to pass up an opportunity to invest in a real estate market that is growing (especially in an area we would consider returning to voluntarily eventually).

Thanks again for all of your information. We are going to drive around Edgewood on our way into town next month. We are also going to tour the base housing to see what it is like. Some guys my husband will be working with just bought in Los Lunas, and a couple live out in Edgewood, so we will ask around. I'm not too keen on Los Lunas, but would be willing to look at it and its schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,979 times
Lisdol, Good Luck and you are wise looking around and ask all kinds of questions to everybody you meet in those areas. Most people are more then willing to tell you like it is, the good, the bad and the ugly. That is what I do, I ask questions to people, neighbors, clerks, etc. You will be surprised how helpful people can be. I don't usually depend on what realtors or anyone who works for the city in line of say Chamber of Commerce and such because naturally, it will be skewed. I wish you the best!
Nighthawk, Moriarty is a nice rural country place a lot like a very small Amarillo. People are friendly, a horse community. That sort of town. Edgewood looks better as far as scenery. I love horses so that is why I lived there. But they have horses in Edgewood too. Moriarty has a lot of room to grow being more flat. I hope both towns will stay rural, I'd hate to see another ABQ out there. Take care!

Old 06-23-2006, 10:30 AM

21 posts, read 116,365 times
Lisdol..,(From Us up in the NEast). The best of luck to you and your Family with the move..etc...And most importantly..."Thanks to your Husband" for serving our Country and also to your Family. My wife and I understand how much of a sacrifice it can be, being in the Military....C-Jack thanks for everything as far as info., if you happen to fine out about anybody(private sale type) selling a parcel/lot of land let me know via-- artdawg 2357@yahoo. Like I said,we're planning on visit in October timeframe...Thanks...

Old 06-23-2006, 11:13 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Thanks nighthawk. And good luck to you too. Perhaps we will pass by each other on the street in Edgewood in October while I am going to buy some paint for my new house!

And crackerjack - thanks for taking the time to give information and your opinion of things. I really appreciate it. I will remember to ask around when we stop in Edgewood. We plan on staying overnight in Amarillo so we will have plenty of time to stop for lunch in Edgewood and get a feel for things on our way into the city. Perhaps I will stalk (jk) another mom at Mcdonald's and ask her for her opinion on the area!

Old 06-24-2006, 10:05 AM

21 posts, read 116,365 times
Lisdol,Maybe.., send me your e-mail,cause at that piont and time you maybe able to give us some insight into your area. Mine = artdawg2357@yahoo.com

Old 08-16-2006, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 36,674 times
Default Edgewood

Hi I am looking for any info on edgewood...wife and i are considering a move there...any grocery store or etc there?...restaurants?...thanks

Old 08-17-2006, 01:39 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,979 times
FriarDave, I answered you on another thread so look there too. Yes Edgewood has some great restaurants, grocery stores and so on. Go to Yahoo, then Maps, then type in Edgewood and see the different stores, restaurants and so forth.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 17,220 times
Smile Is Edgewood the Place to Be?

Hi,

My wife and I are looking to move to NM from Baltimore Maryland. I grew up around El paso and Las Cruces and Lived In Arizona for 13 years. The West calls me back and I find that I am just not an east coast person. My Wife, Bless her is all for it! I cannot get the beauty of NM out of my mind. Ah but where In NM should we Live? We definitley need to be outside and close to ALB or Sante Fe. As we look at sites of property for sale on the internet we keep coming back the area of edgewood and that surrounding it. We would appreciate any input about edgewood or suggestion of sites on-line to visit for more information, etc.
Were interested in areas with at least an acre+ of land.

Thanks,
JLOTEO

Old 09-23-2006, 11:29 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,965 times
Edgewood is not all that attractive to me. There are some nice places to the north of 1-40 up on sedillo hill. If you have your mind on edgewood you have to keep the water issues in mind. If you are buying with a well you must find an independent to inspect it.
Also the commute can be a challange at times

If you want to look at some really nice places not all that far from Albuquerque or Santa fe. Type in Placitas or Algodones "terra" into your search.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 14,309 times
Default Edgewood is great

If you are looking for peace and quiet and wide open spaces than Edgewood is the place to go. Pros of Edgewood are that you are only 25 minutes thru the canyon to ABQ and the airport and if I-40 is busy you can always jump on old route 66. Santa Fe is less that an hours ride also. The temps are lower in the summer than ABQ because of the increase in altitude. Residents are very friendly and welcome outsiders, lots are no smaller than 1 acres and will remain that way - the town fights to stick to their mission statement of minumum 1 acre lots. As the says goes, "We do not want to look like Rio Rancho."
Not as windy as ABQ or RR but Edgewood does get more snow - big deal, it is gone by mid-afternoon. Real Estate is still affordable and good builders can be found locally. Forget Placitas unless you have a huge bank account.
Great place to retire and so what if it is too icy, etc in the canyon just do not go to ABQ that day!!! Once Walmart get built prices of RE will rise so if you are thinking you might consider Edgewood do it now.
Good luck finding a place. If you need help with builders or agents let me know

Last edited by ravensnest; 09-23-2006 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: adding text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque