U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 AM

3,068 posts, read 5,225,277 times
Default Help, Need Doctor NOW

Can anyone reccomend a doctor in the area that is accepting patients? I desparately NEED to get an appointment like yesterday.

I last saw a doctor in May back in Maine. Its now past time for my cholestral, blood sugar and thyroid to be checked.

Long story short, we have Presb. Health Insurance, however they have this bass ackwards thing about you can only call them on the first of the month to be assigned a doctor. I am not always available to call on the first.
Case in point, I was not available to call last Friday, Jan. 2, so I called this a.m. and got the same old BS from them....have to call Feb. 1.
This totally unacceptable to me, I want to be able to call a dr's office at any time, and set up an appointment.

I am at the point now, that I either go to an emergency room (which is utterly foolish and waste of money and the ER's time); or I hop a plane back to Maine to see my old doctor.

I have been trying since NOV. to get a damn dr appt, so please if anyone has a dr. that is taking new patients and I do not have to deal with Presb., please let me know.

All I can say this a.m. is that I wish to heck I'd never moved out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 AM

1,764 posts, read 3,758,465 times
Maybe an Urgent Care Center? A step below the ER, but quicker than an appt. Note: My wife went to one in ABQ and had to wait 3 hrs to be seen...no joke.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Maybe an Urgent Care Center? A step below the ER, but quicker than an appt. Note: My wife went to one in ABQ and had to wait 3 hrs to be seen...no joke.
I can go to urgent care, but don't feel that I should have to. Why is it such a freaking chore to get a simple dr. appt in this state? At this point, Urgent Care is going to be my only option, other than returning to Maine.

As much as I need to be out of the cold cold weather, I am seriously considering returning to Maine to live.

I know I shouldn't let this get to me, but I am so sick of hearing, call back on the first of the month.
Heck, I got my grandson an appointment and didn't have to call on the first of the month.
Even my dog is seen by the vet within a week or two of calling. Maybe I am calling for the wrong type of doctor.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:27 AM

3,058 posts, read 8,026,042 times
Default Whoa, whoa, whoa!....

Hey Alison!!

I feel your frustration here - but slooowwww down! Don't go moving back to Maine quite just yet!!

Here's the elixer - IF you have insurance that can cover him (or have other means, etc.), your doctor of choice in my humble opinion:

Dr. James Wilterding

Here is his contact info:

711 Encino Pl NE
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 265-2244

He was my doctor in ABQ after I got fed up with the one I was seeing and switched. Boy, was he great. He really spends a lot of time with patients like many doctors don't, he was always pretty accessible / easy to get appointments with, very caring, very smart. Great, great doctor.

(His office is down kind of by the main Pres. hospital, just off of I-25 and Lomas).

He ALWAYS was taking new patients...I am sure that hasn't changed.

Let me know if you go try him how it worked, I haven't seen him now in 1.5 years, however, unless something drastic has occurred, he'd be an excellent choice. I think you'd really enjoy dealing with his office / him, and it would keep you in ABQ to boot!

P.S. And oh...you can call his office for an appointment at ANY TIME. No first of the month, etc., type of whoo ha.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:32 AM

28 posts, read 56,898 times
For what it's worth, here is the info for a practice I found in Bernaillo that says it is accepting new patients: El Pueblo Family Healthcare, located at 121 Calle Del Presidente,Bernalillo NM
Phone 505 867-2324. I found them by researching drs that will take my Blue Cross under COBRA. I have not arrived in NM yet, starting my drive out on Friday from NJ and will be living in Bernalillo. Good luck!!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,164,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
I have not arrived in NM yet, starting my drive out on Friday from NJ and will be living in Bernalillo. Good luck!!
GOOD LUCK to you on your drive our here, cliffdweller!!!! Congrats on your move!

< sorry for the thread drift >

Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully they will accept Presb. insurance.
I wonder how hard its going to be to find a dentist and eye doctor out here.
This really has me very frustrated and upset.
Hope my blood pressure is ok.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Hey Alison!!

I feel your frustration here - but slooowwww down! Don't go moving back to Maine quite just yet!!

Here's the elixer - IF you have insurance that can cover him (or have other means, etc.), your doctor of choice in my humble opinion:

Dr. James Wilterding

Here is his contact info:

711 Encino Pl NE
Albuquerque, NM 87102
(505) 265-2244

He was my doctor in ABQ after I got fed up with the one I was seeing and switched. Boy, was he great. He really spends a lot of time with patients like many doctors don't, he was always pretty accessible / easy to get appointments with, very caring, very smart. Great, great doctor.

(His office is down kind of by the main Pres. hospital, just off of I-25 and Lomas).

He ALWAYS was taking new patients...I am sure that hasn't changed.

Let me know if you go try him how it worked, I haven't seen him now in 1.5 years, however, unless something drastic has occurred, he'd be an excellent choice. I think you'd really enjoy dealing with his office / him, and it would keep you in ABQ to boot!

P.S. And oh...you can call his office for an appointment at ANY TIME. No first of the month, etc., type of whoo ha.

Ooooh he sounds just like my dr back in Maine. Bill was the best, would even call you at home to see how you were doing, ect. Doctors like that are hard to find. Too many want to just give you pills and not take time to listen to what is really wrong.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 11 days ago)

48,927 posts, read 40,295,542 times
Allison, you hope they will accept Pres? I don't think so, but good luck..I am a bit confused though, we had Pres for years while in NM and the first time we joined they assigned us a primary care doctor..When our doctor moved they assigned us another one or gave us the option to pick one..What you are saying is certainly confusing??? Good luck, and don't panic or talk about moving back to Maine. Relax, take a deep breath and don't let you blood pressure go out of control.

Nita

Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 AM

8 posts, read 13,316 times
Default Dr. search page...

FWIW...There is a search page on the Pres. site that you can use to find Dr's that are taking new patients in your area. https://www.geoaccess.com/Presbyterian/po/

Just click on the "Find a Doctor" image and fill in the blanks. It will even map the office location for you.

Last edited by PurpleSage; 01-05-2009 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: add to content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque