Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 15,798 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a new poster. My son is going to be going to UNM doing a doctorate. From all I have read I think he will love Albuquerque. We live in Santiago, Chile, so the climate won't be that different compared to somewhere like upstate NY, for instance, which would probably kill him the first winter! He loves good, spicy food, deserts with open vistas and exploring on his motorcycle and taking photos.
My question really is about housing. I am guessing that on campus housing would be reserved for undergraduates and he will have to find somewhere to live. Can anyone tell me something about areas and costs? Even a rough idea would help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 12:12 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,064,049 times
I don't think on campus housing is only for undergrads. I work at UNM and we have a post-doc here and he and his wife and small son have on campus housing -- so don't rule that out.

I would think your son's advisor or someone in the department he will be joining could give him the information on student housing options at UNM, both on and off campus.

Here's a link to the UNM housing web page for prospective students. I couldn't find an eligibility section but there is a ton of info. And I think there are some email addresses you can use to make some queries.

http://www.unm.edu/~reshalls/prospective_residents.html (broken link)

Old 03-07-2007, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the link! He is really looking forward to UNM and I know he will love the area. I didn't realise the university would help with information. That's great. He'll be in the Physics department.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:11 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,143,614 times
Physics department? The poor man!

Recommend you visit the city and state websites, which give a wealth of valuable information about living in Albuquerque and New Mexico.

www.cabq.gov
www.state.nm.us

Old 03-07-2007, 07:48 PM

Thanks, I have been looking around on internet and learning a lot about NM. Now I want to go too!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:19 AM

7 posts, read 28,994 times
Default Unm

Hi,

I am an International student, planning to do graduate studies in UNM. I am currently in MN where the weather is super cold.

I read through some of the post here about the housing info. Here where I am at it is cheaper to live off campus compared to on, would someone be able to advise me if it is the same at UNM and it's surrounding places or would it be easier to live on campus?

I also heard that the neighborhood is rather dangerous. How true is that?

Thanks so much for the help.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,191,740 times
I live in the "Student Ghetto". I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in this city.

For starters, I don't need a car, I have a wealth of dining opportunities and cultural events within 2 blocks of my house, access to public transport (such as it is), I usually walk to the airport (45 min.) yet I'm not under the flight path, great neighbors of diverse age and economic status, people raise their kids here, and except for a bit of panhandling, crime is not a major concern.

Not every block in the area is especially attractive but in general you can't beat this area especially for a UNM student.

It is a very vibrant 'hood. Not the place for the status-conscious (McMansion/Mercedes set) but not a slum by any means.

ABQConvict

Old 01-05-2008, 03:08 PM

Student Ghetto. Is this housing that is provided as part of UNM or is this an area I would need to do some research nearby the university?

Is there a random link or address I could look into to get more information about it?

Thanks a lot!

Old 01-05-2008, 03:09 PM

and why would you say you would not want to live anywhere else in the city?

Old 01-05-2008, 03:40 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,902,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeey View Post
and why would you say you would not want to live anywhere else in the city?
I am pretty sure the reason ABQConvict wouldn't want to live anywhere else is becauses he fills it would be much more dull. To some extent that is true, the UNM area has a lot going on. However, don't let that discourage you from living in a different area of town with nicer housing, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque